The Man
msg tools
Why should you buiild bigger bombs, why should you build smaller ones? Or is it just the luck of the draw?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of it is luck of the draw...the bombs on display may well determine what tack you take in the game. I remember one game where all that came out were the uranium type bombs...we didn't get more then 2 or so plutonium bombs in the first couple times that action was taken. Part of it is also managing what you need to win...there's no reason to build a big bomb if a small one will get you the win as the smaller ones take less resources. You'll also obviously prefer to take bombs for which you've built up your infrastructure to support the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
It's a race. You build whichever will get you to the goal first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:

This.

If the winning condition is 45 points, then you want to cross that threshold with bombs that require the smallest combination of plutonium/uranium points. You can get to 45 with 11 plutonium or -9- 8! uranium, if you have the right bombs. You can also spend that much and NOT make it past the threshold.

The Bomb Design action is subtly one of the more powerful actions, since it gives you direct control over your bomb points and could be the difference between winning and losing the game with a pile of unspent nuclear fuel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hallam
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
out4blood wrote:
cosine wrote:

If the winning condition is 45 points, then you want to cross that threshold with bombs that require the smallest combination of plutonium/uranium points.

We played our first game last night. All five players were sitting on bombs to make - I had a healthy-sized 24pt uranium bomb on the drawing board and was eyeing off several other big uranium bombs on the table. But then I realised that I didn't need to be making several big bombs. I acquired a second 12 pt uranium bomb, spent a number of close-lipped turns building up uranium, men and cash, then in a single turn built both bombs and loaded them onto planes - 24+12+5+5 = 46 pts - a game win. The two bombs cost me a total of 8 uranium.

The cool thing was that the other players were waiting for and expecting a bomb build from me - but they weren't expecting two bombs and game finish. Of course, its not a tactic you could pull off too often - players would wise up quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I missed that. You can do it with 8 uranium!

Yea, this game is very interesting. On one hand, it's all open information like Caylus. But once you take bombs in hand, it's suddenly up in the air how close someone is to winning. You can guess about what they took and where they are, but it's difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
It will depend on the number of players too, I think. I played a two player game last night, so realized I had time to test a small plutonium bomb, to make the others so much bigger. Most of the game was setting up the buildings into a plutonium sausage machine, the went into a three turn cycle of getting stuff/withdrawing/bomb building. The game ended very quickly once that was in place, and felt rather odd and anti-climactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.