Subject: balancing the game with 3 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
oren kostin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
hi,
we love playing this game (me, my wife and my friend), and we only have 1 core set.
we beat the anduin scenario fairly easy, so i thought about restricting 2 players to using only 2 heroes. we will have a total of 7 heroes.
during the questing phase we will still need to draw 3 encounter cards.
i think this strategy is balanced, because 2 players start the game with low threat.
what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hildegunst von Mythenmetz
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just beat the Anduin quest first time with 2 players (*very proud* ;D)!

It is up to the players to choose how much heroes from 1 to 3 they use so I guess you can play it your version without even manipulating the rules I would suggest you try the DL=7 quest on the core with 3 players and decide if it is easier with 3 aswell. For Anduin I really had no chance solo, but it was ok with 2 players. On the other hand the first quest I thought was easier solo than with 2. It is just the second phase (of Anduin) that does not scale up so hard in difficulty from 2 to 3 players as other mechanics do. If you understand what I mean... (1 player = 2 cards upcoming, 2 player = 3 cards = 50% harder, 3 player = 4 cards = 33% harder than with 2)

So try the third quest first and if you still think it's too easy I would say go with your houserules

by the way: thanks for the suggestions, I keep them in mind when playing with 3 soon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
bayLor wrote:
If you understand what I mean... (1 player = 2 cards upcoming, 2 player = 3 cards = 50% harder, 3 player = 4 cards = 33% harder than with 2)
Or, to put it another way:

1 player = 2 cards each to deal with,
2 players = 1.5 cards each to deal with (= 25% easier than solo)
3 players = 1.33 cards each to deal with (= 33% easier than solo)

It all depends on how you want to spin it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oren kostin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Since we love so much playing this game with 3 players, I tried to keep the gameplay fit as a 2 player game. We noticed that when we played a normal 3 player game, only quests with a difficulty of 7 were any challenge.
These are my house rules when playing a 3 player game.
1)Every player chooses only 2 heroes

2)In order to determine the starting threat level of the quest - divide the heroes into 2 groups. The average of the threat between these 2 groups is the starting threat for all the players. You can also decide that 1 player will start with a higher threat , and the other players with the lower threat.

3)Initial draw of player cards- 4 for each player. This way we keep the total of player cards in the beginning of the game the same as in a 2 player game (12 cards total).

4)Drawing cards in the resource phase- the first player is not allowed to draw a card, unless you use Bilbo as one of the heroes.

5)Drawing 2 encounter cards during the quest phase as in a 2 player game.

I think I covered all the angles in order to balance this game when playing with 3 players.  We tried these house rules last night with the hunt for Gollum AP, and had a blast
What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.