Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Acquire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some confusion which appears to be not in the rule book rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Yesterday I played this game for the 4th time, but got into some tricky situations where I had no answers with me and hence posting here.

- It was the last turn where a player merged Imperial (the largest on the board) with a small Worldwide (2 tile long). Now after the merger Imperial became 42 tiles and hence the game ends, but here is the confusion. Now the majority and minority stakeholders in Worldwide got the bonus and then wanted to trade in their cards 2:1 for Imperial. Now there were only 3 Imperial stocks left and the Majority stakeholder of Worldwide had 10 shares, so in effect he could only get 3 shares as we ran out of share certificates. But both the majority and minority stakeholders were fighting telling that they should be virtually allowed to own stocks of Imperial as it does not make sense to just get money for the worldwide by selling as you get what you paid for them (2 tiles= $200/buy or sell). Logically it made sense, but I have no clue what the right answer is.

- After the player who merged Imperial with Worldwide and thus ended the game, can he still finish the turn i.e. buy 3 shares? I ask this because say this person buys shares in another company on the board (3 Tower for e.g.) This now might change the majority and minority stakeholders right at the end of the game and hence the bonus to be paid out at the end of the game?

- In general whenever a merger happens, what is the order of conversion/buy sell of stocks of the company that got acquired? Is it the Majority stakeholder 1st, minority stakeholder next and then in turn order? Again this has repercussions when it comes to exchanging stocks 2:1 which might be over by the time it reaches some other players. E.g: I had majority stock in Festival which got acquired by Imperial. I had 12 shares, minority shareholder had 6 and 1 other player 4. I exchanged 12:6 shares of Imperial leaving behind 1 Imperial share certificate. Now the minority shareholder felt bad that he could not exchange the rest as he had invested in Festival when the price of each stock was 400 and had to sell it at 600, where as Imperial was already at 800, which would actually make sense to exchange? What do we do in these situations.

Hope my questions are making sense. Thanks in advance for the answers.

Best,
Madhu
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
- It was the last turn where a player merged Imperial (the largest on the board) with a small Worldwide (2 tile long). Now after the merger Imperial became 42 tiles and hence the game ends, but here is the confusion. Now the majority and minority stakeholders in Worldwide got the bonus and then wanted to trade in their cards 2:1 for Imperial. Now there were only 3 Imperial stocks left and the Majority stakeholder of Worldwide had 10 shares, so in effect he could only get 3 shares as we ran out of share certificates. But both the majority and minority stakeholders were fighting telling that they should be virtually allowed to own stocks of Imperial as it does not make sense to just get money for the worldwide by selling as you get what you paid for them (2 tiles= $200/buy or sell). Logically it made sense, but I have no clue what the right answer is.

The person who played the tile that merged the two companies gets to trade in his stock (or sell it) first. Then each player in clockwise order gets a chance to do the same. There are no "virtual" shares. If you have to sell your stock for the same price you paid for it, then you break even. Increasing the value of your stock is one of the challenges of the game. Sometimes things don't work out in your favor.

Quote:
- After the player who merged Imperial with Worldwide and thus ended the game, can he still finish the turn i.e. buy 3 shares? I ask this because say this person buys shares in another company on the board (3 Tower for e.g.) This now might change the majority and minority stakeholders right at the end of the game and hence the bonus to be paid out at the end of the game?

Yes, the person who ends the game may finish his turn. Also note that the current player may choose to end the game or not. In most cases, however, there is little advantage to prolonging the game.

Quote:
- In general whenever a merger happens, what is the order of conversion/buy sell of stocks of the company that got acquired? Is it the Majority stakeholder 1st, minority stakeholder next and then in turn order? Again this has repercussions when it comes to exchanging stocks 2:1 which might be over by the time it reaches some other players. E.g: I had majority stock in Festival which got acquired by Imperial. I had 12 shares, minority shareholder had 6 and 1 other player 4. I exchanged 12:6 shares of Imperial leaving behind 1 Imperial share certificate. Now the minority shareholder felt bad that he could not exchange the rest as he had invested in Festival when the price of each stock was 400 and had to sell it at 600, where as Imperial was already at 800, which would actually make sense to exchange? What do we do in these situations.

See my answer to your first question. The person who played the merging tile gets to trade in, sell, or keep his shares of the defunct company. Then the others get to do the same in clockwise order. Majority and minority bonuses have nothing to do with the order of trading in stock.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First, having a company with greater than 40 tiles in size does not absolutely end the game. The person whose turn it is can decide whether or not the game will end at the end of his turn. If not, the choice falls on the next player and so on.

If choosing to end the game, the player completes his turn, including purchase of available stocks.

After an acquisition, starting with the player who caused the acquisition, players choose what to do with the now defunct stock, continuing in player order. If no stock is left of the now bigger company, players must choose another option (either sell them at current value, or keep them - which of course makes no sense if the game is ending.)

There is no such thing as "virtual" stock.

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First the merger maker trades stock, then the player to the left trades stock etc. When the stock runs out there is no more stock. You cannot buy or trade for stock when there is no stock.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game doesn't end until the end of the player turn. If a merger makes a 41+ chain, the players with stock in the smaller chain get a chance to trade in their stock for the 41+ chain before the game ends.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
The game doesn't end until the end of the player turn. If a merger makes a 41+ chain, the players with stock in the smaller chain get a chance to trade in their stock for the 41+ chain before the game ends.

Of course there most often isn't any stock left of the game ender, and it isn't usually wise to keep your stock that late in the game, and you usually end up selling it. Usually.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tmredden wrote:
Barticus88 wrote:
The game doesn't end until the end of the player turn. If a merger makes a 41+ chain, the players with stock in the smaller chain get a chance to trade in their stock for the 41+ chain before the game ends.

Of course there most often isn't any stock left of the game ender, and it isn't usually wise to keep your stock that late in the game, and you usually end up selling it. Usually.


Glad you said "usually", 'cuz I was planning my rebuttal before I even got to the end of the paragraph
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.