Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Noguera
Other-Eastern Europe
Girona
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide to play with Aliens as is explained in the point 14.x, which is the benefit to attack its planet? In many cases you will lost your first exploration ships once encountered them, so why to use a more powerful units to try to invade its planet if you don't receive any additional benefit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are using the alternate victory conditions it is one of those conditions. Colonizing a barren planet in the white zone and getting a 5cp colony there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Other benefits include:

- Income from colonizing the planet.
- Income from a MS pipeline to it.
- A place to build forward SYs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess four aliens make sense in large two player games - we've house ruled them down to two aliens per planet in our four player games. Works fine for us, they feel right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice that your opponent has to WORK if they really want that extra CP. while they are building ships to conquer aliens to get one more planet I'm researching movement tech and going for their home planet.

BOb

PS: I'm on a winning streak of 1 in SE4X.. so I'm currently the expert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Getting Deep Space Alien worlds early in the game can be a big money maker, plus given the right position, a forward base can be powerful.

Quote:

we've house ruled them down to two aliens per planet in our four player games. Works fine for us, they feel right now.

Your species is weak and cowardly! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Noguera
Other-Eastern Europe
Girona
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChillusMaximus wrote:
If you are using the alternate victory conditions it is one of those conditions. Colonizing a barren planet in the white zone and getting a 5cp colony there.

Yes, you are right and it's an important point. Anyway, this means that Alien rules aren't for two players game.

Jim Krohn wrote:
Other benefits include:

1- Income from colonizing the planet.
2- Income from a MS pipeline to it.
3- A place to build forward SYs.

1- It's obviously...but at which price? I think that after the first alien encounter, you will try to get other more easy planets in order to avoid lose more ships. I mean, if you contact with aliens, it means that you are exploring the deep space and the other players are doing the same (in normal cases)...so it means that combat against other players are very near and ships are really necessary to defend positions...so, that's the reason that I will think twice to fight against aliens or not. Of course, If I need desperatly more revenue, then I will have to visit them...

2-Ok. Another advanced rule linked with other...It seems that all advanced rules has to be played all together.

3-Are you sure? I do not...I know you can do it, but again, I think that there are more safety places to put a SY...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Akeold wrote:
3-Are you sure? I do not...I know you can do it, but again, I think that there are more safety places to put a SY...

Yeah, forward shipyards are a great strategic asset. Building shipyards in the face of your enemy is not about safety, but about getting your ships faster to them than they get them to you (and it also gives you a convenient place to upgrade your ships).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1- It's obviously...but at which price? I think that after the first alien encounter, you will try to get other more easy planets in order to avoid lose more ships. I mean, if you contact with aliens, it means that you are exploring the deep space and the other players are doing the same (in normal cases)...so it means that combat against other players are very near and ships are really necessary to defend positions...so, that's the reason that I will think twice to fight against aliens or not. Of course, If I need desperatly more revenue, then I will have to visit them...

Well, I don't attack the aliens when playing a small map game. BTW, the alien ships are not as tough as they look. They only each take one hit which means they don't have a lot of staying power. Plus they don't have any extra technology.....I rarely lose ships when attacking aliens.

Aliens are needed for a 2 player game in order to keep the game balanced. Without them, the player who happens to have more barren planets on their side of the board has an advantage. Aliens on the planets mean that there is a cost to getting those planets - revealing some of your fleet, the maintenance on that fleet, any losses you do sustain, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think too the Aliens will come into play when the Experience rule in the expansion is brought in. If fighting some 1x hit point aliens can increase my crews experience it's good practice for a real battle.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Noguera
Other-Eastern Europe
Girona
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have convinced me!
and...Which is the expected date for enjoy the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Akeold wrote:
Which is the expected date for enjoy the expansion?

Not soon enough...

But I'd say August 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilcoxon
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akeold wrote:
You have convinced me!
and...Which is the expected date for enjoy the expansion?

According to the February update Close Encounters is scheduled for production in July so probably August or Sept delivery when you account for delays.

I am not a representative of GMT so I could be mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Noguera
Other-Eastern Europe
Girona
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already Pre-ordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Aliens are needed for a 2 player game in order to keep the game balanced. Without them, the player who happens to have more barren planets on their side of the board has an advantage. Aliens on the planets mean that there is a cost to getting those planets - revealing some of your fleet, the maintenance on that fleet, any losses you do sustain, etc.

It took us many games to come to this realization. Actually a couple of games have been horribly imbalanced because we played without Aliens.

Perhaps the balance rationale should have been mentioned in the rules. (Dunno if it's in the designer's notes or something.)

It just keeps surprising me how well this game was playtested thumbsup I wish more games were like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.