Popular Tags: [View All]
fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions regarding naval battles

(1) Can a naval unit attempt withdrawing from a naval encounter before combat begins i.e. they sail out, notice the enemy on the horizon, and try to skedaddle?

(2) When a naval unit successfully withdraws from a battle, is it required to return to its base, or can it choose any friendly port within range? If allowed to choose any port, this would allow a player to retreat to a port that has been declared the target of an invasion by the other side, and did not have a naval counter guarding it to prevent invasion. This seems unfair to me, choosing the port of withdrawal based on information that is meant to be secret until each side has made its naval action decisions.

(3) If one side has only a single naval unit involved in a naval battle, can it choose the "withdraw entire fleet" option if the it gives a better chance of success on the die roll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Popejoy
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
GWX Dev Team
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fangotango wrote:
A few questions regarding naval battles

(1) Can a naval unit attempt withdrawing from a naval encounter before combat begins i.e. they sail out, notice the enemy on the horizon, and try to skedaddle?

No. Second Edition Optional Rule 4.b states, "At the end of each round, each player may attempt to withdraw any or all of his units." Optional Rule 4.e says, "Both players may also attempt to withdraw individual units after each round or withdraw all units at once."

Quote:
(2) When a naval unit successfully withdraws from a battle, is it required to return to its base, or can it choose any friendly port within range? If allowed to choose any port, this would allow a player to retreat to a port that has been declared the target of an invasion by the other side, and did not have a naval counter guarding it to prevent invasion. This seems unfair to me, choosing the port of withdrawal based on information that is meant to be secret until each side has made its naval action decisions.

Second Edition Optional rule 3.b. requires players to write down the actions of each of his fleets. "Amphibious Invasion" and "Sea Transport" missions are not fleets, so it seems perfectly reasonable to me to await the results of naval combat before announcing you plan to attack Gallipoli, i.e., "don't count your chickens until the eggs hatch."

Quote:
(3) If one side has only a single naval unit involved in a naval battle, can it choose the "withdraw entire fleet" option if the it gives a better chance of success on the die roll?

The rules do not specify how to handle a fleet consisting of a single fleet counter.

I suggest a house rule that a single unit always withdraws as a single unit since it seems to me "withdrawal as a fleet" means a large number of supporting light ships (destroyers, cruisers, etc.) - more than are represented by a single fleet counter - are available to make smokescreens, threaten torpedo attacks, etc., to keep the pursuing fleet at bay long enough for the main body to effect its escape.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely helps. Especially since you've pointed out a couple of details in the rules that I missed : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.