Thunderstone: Dragonspire» Forums » General

Subject: How strategic is Thunderstone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gabriele romagnoli
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a deck building game and of course Thunderstone is one of the competitor. I enjoyed Dominion but i found it a bit too shallow ( i'm talking of the base game only). I have the feeling that the strategic choices and the timing are indeed important but not foundamental.
Recently i played Race for the galaxy that surely is not a deck building game.i found it very strategic and challanging.
My question is: Does thunderstone involve more strategy than Dominion? is it somehow near to Race for the galaxy?

Thanks for all your advice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you wnat strategy vs. other players, or strategy vs. the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gabriele romagnoli
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would like some in game strategy. I will try to explain myself with an example. In race for the galaxy you realize that there are combos and path to victory you can take. In dominion instead this feeling is less pronounced and having a bad hand of card can completely mess up your "strategy". Moreover i am looking for some sort of interaction or competition against the other players. I found the interaction in dominion (thief, witch, militia and son on ) a bit "cheap". Something more "in depth" would be a huge plus.

p.s. i don't want to give the impression i'm criticizing dominion. I like it but it is just a good way to explain myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Thunderstone a lot but I don't think it's *very* strategic. Yes there are better and worse ways to play, but they don't much depend on what other players are doing, and they don't even much depend on the monsters that come out - you just recognise which are the good cards in the village and buy those in the right proportions. There may be some fine tuning you can do, but the results will be insignificant compared to the randomness of the way the cards fall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
similar to Dom, you should have an overall picture of how your deck is gonna be like within the first few minutes. However, unless you know what monsters you'll be dealing with (even a vague idea like Golems require alot of str, or these combo of monster types requires both magic and normal attack), then you'll also be changing your plans to account for that. Even if you have a card manifest of the monsters, then you'll also likely be changing your plans if the toughest monster in the group comes out earlier instead.

If you found RftG to be "strategic and challenging", by comparison, TS should be the same way.

FTR, I'll still play RftG with just exp #1 or no exp, but I highly prefer expansions. Ditto with Dom. It's gotten quite stale by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like thunderstone to play alone. It's like solitarie with dungeon tematic. Thunderstone isn't heavy strategic. There is too much luck involved on it. They tried to minimize that with "preparation fase" and "monsters with level".
in the game if you got luck to get selurim or a nice gold to get powerfull heroes you win. And you can't harm directly you "enemy/rival" so just race faster than he/she.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.