Subject: A quick study in random brutality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hector Bravado
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Got a break from the workload long enough to treat myself to a truly epic slaughter that highlights just how quick things can go down the drain aboard the Sin of Damnation. Something like this ever happen to you? I'm 0 for 4 on my last string of solo attempts...

I drew Raziel's, Gideon's shake and Calistarius' team.

Void Lock
Heavy spawns (2) appear at Metraen's dark corner and Noctis' ventilation duct. The Chaplain and Worthless (Green) teams lay down support while Calistarius wipes out the two swarms at Metraen's position. Scipio attacks the two swarms in front of Noctis and misses. Noctis successfully defends against the two Genestealers.
Event Card: Gun Jam; Heavy spawns appear at Calistarius' door and Noctis' vent duct.

At the top of turn 2, the Librarian team lays down a ST for Calistarius and a force shield for Noctis. Gideon bolts one position up to a door in hopes of being useful some day, bumping Scipio to the tail of the formation. Raziel and Metraen attack, Raziel missing and Metraen killing a swarm at Calistarius' position. Calistarius successfully defends his position.
Event Card: They're Everywhere!; the left blip pile empties; another heavy spawn in front of Noctis, who now has four swarms to contend with. The team moves on to the...

Dark Catacombs

...at which another swarm appears behind Noctis. The Chaplain team plays support to protect Raziel; I figure Noctis is dogmeat by now. Calistarius and Scipio attack single swarms at their positions, and both miss. Gideon's team attacks, with Noctis missing and Gideon notching one kill. During the GS attack, Noctis is torn apart.
Event Card: Surrounded; due to column shift and previous GS do-si-dos, Gideon now has two swarms in front of him and seven at his back. Good luck with that one. Single swarms spawn at Calistarius' dark corner and the ventilation duct now in back of Raziel.

The Librarian team throws Gideon a support token and a force field at his back. Raziel pivots to face the swarm in back of him while Metraen activates the door and places a support token on it. Gideon burns an M&A card, but basically stands there listening to Gotye on his iPod. He'll soon be someone that I used to know.

Calistarius is killed by a single swarm (rolls 1,0 on successive tries, burning a ST). Gideon, facing two swarms with a ST, rolls 2,2 and dies.
Event Card: Out of Thin Air; two swarms appear behind Metraen. Raziel, who has happily inherited both the red and orange terrain features, sees a swarm appear on either side of him, making four total at his position.

Turn 5: Raziel attacks a swarm of two in front of him and kills one; Metraen smokes one of the two swarms creeping up on Raziel. The super-swarm now brewing in front of Scipio kills him easily. The ensuing formation shift leaves four swarms in front of Metraen and seven at his back. Good times.
Event Card: Full Scan, -1 from the right blip pile. One more swarm appears at Raziel's vent duct, emptying the right blip pile. Two more swarms appear at Metraen's door position, one of which is killed when we move due to the one ST placed on it earlier. Previous formation shift now means that Raziel has one swarm in back of him, three in front. Metraen has seven in back of him, five in front. On to the...

Tenebro Maze
...at which point I'm just trying to kill a few Genestealers out of spite. The two marines switch positions and try to weather the attack with support tokens. Can the Chaplain team's support token special ability modify a die to more than 5? I'm mad enough at this point to say "Yes," but it doesn't matter as Raziel is swarmed and killed.

This one was hardly worth the trouble of setting up and putting away the cards, but that's life in Death Angel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonnie H
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report.

Death Angel can be brutal.....a little too brutal. I am getting to the point of looking at different variants to bring some "joy" to the game(maybe a 50% win chance).

As it is, the Emperor's standard tactics should be just to nuke hulks in space. If the elite-of-his-elite surgically altered warriors can only win 20% of the time, the possibility of forgotten tech doesn't seem worth it. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GEOFF GUTTERSON
Australia
flag msg tools
DON'T TELL MY WIFE I SPENT ALL MY GEEKGOLD ON OVERTEXT!
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL at the Gotye reference
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Good report

Hector Bravado wrote:
Can the Chaplain team's support token special ability modify a die to more than 5?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Bravado
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Lonster wrote:
Thanks for the session report.

Death Angel can be brutal.....a little too brutal. I am getting to the point of looking at different variants to bring some "joy" to the game(maybe a 50% win chance).

As it is, the Emperor's standard tactics should be just to nuke hulks in space. If the elite-of-his-elite surgically altered warriors can only win 20% of the time, the possibility of forgotten tech doesn't seem worth it. whistle

Yeah, I had a streak last year where I really thought I had enough tactical experience to consistently drive me over 50% wins, but recently I have seen that the event cards and dice were just giving me a small respite in between slaughters.

You're right re: the Emperor's priorities, unless that forgotten tech is a mint collection of pinball games or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Bravado
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
__cim__ wrote:
Good report

Hector Bravado wrote:
Can the Chaplain team's support token special ability modify a die to more than 5?

Yes.

Ah. Glad somebody saw that question buried in my jeremiad. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Bravado
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
GOOSE1968 wrote:
LOL at the Gotye reference

I realize that the Emperor probably frowns upon levity, but I figure doomed warriors are entitled to a laugh or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Nice session report.

Thanks for sharing and good luck with all your future SH games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.