Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was clearing out my wargame cupboard, well actually I was looking for something, but never mind.

Anyhow, I came across a hex map I made some 20+ years ago showing the Tolkien lands of Middle Earth. I had started to make a wargame, for fun and at a smaller/quicker scale than the existing 1977 War of the Ring.

Now, older, but not much wiser, I was thinking about having another go at it, but do it as an Android mobile phone app (I've already done several wargames in Android under DK Simulations).

Question is... as per the title: "if I do a game based on Middle Earth will I get sued?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are planning to make money off it you will likely get a "cease and desist". Why not rename the world/characters etc. and create a new world?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I would expect to get sued if you release it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you try to publish it.

Yes.

Very sued. The Tolkien Foundation or whomever holds the rights now has been known for this problem. It even resulted in the total kill off of a game that was in production and well on its way to heading to the shelves when the permissions were yanked and any use of the setting and release of the game was blocked.

Same problem with Dune. Except the Dune lawyers can and will go after fan made game worlds. Such as the Second Life incident.

If its a free PnP game then you are *maybee* safe. But as allways. Have a fallback plan if someone C&Ds your project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Certain aspects of the world (fantasy setting, the races of elves, orcs, etc.) are so widespread and generic that they are in the public domain -- just look at how many games use those same fantasy races!

Specific names and locations (Middle Earth, Galadriel, etc.) are almost certainly trademarked by the Tolkien estate and would land you in a bit o' trouble if you published a game using them. The estate is somewhat known for actively enforcing its intellectual property rights.

I am not a lawyer, etc. etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur O'Dwyer
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer, yes, if it's set in Middle-Earth. I believe the Tolkien estate (Christopher Tolkien in particular) is hugely protective of their properties.

But no, if you recast the setting sufficiently. "Tolkienesque" describes pretty much all mainstream fantasy since the 1960s. </exaggeration> Just having a game set in a fantasy realm where there are dwarves and elves and wizards and orcy things and some sort of object-destruction-themed quest is certainly fine, as long as it's not, you know, "Bingo and Frobozz leave the Squire pursued by nine riders sent by the evil witch-king Shmauron, intending to destroy the One Earring in the fires of Doom Mountain."

For example, when teaching Are You The Traitor?, I always start off by saying "Okay, so we have the Keyholder — that's basically the Ringbearer — and two wizards — one good like Gandalf, one bad like Saruman —..." and so on. The tropes or cliches themselves are public domain, even if the specific names "Ringbearer", "Gandalf", etc. are off-limits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
Wales
Swansea
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
badge
I iz a soot sprite.
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
If you try to publish it.

Yes.

Very sued. The Tolkien Foundation or whomever holds the rights now has been known for this problem. It even resulted in the total kill off of a game that was in production and well on its way to heading to the shelves when the permissions were yanked and any use of the setting and release of the game was blocked.

I believer Warner Brothers hold the rights are they are very keen to sue (or at least threaten) anyone who they think infringes their rights:

Lord of the Rings domain fight enters realms of fantasy

Warner Bros scraps Harry Potter legal actions

Harry Potter IP claim pinned down on the beaches
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IANAL but how off-limits are some of the names? For example, isn't there a Gandalf (a dwarf, IIRC) in some Old Norse writings? Down to who's got the most expensive lawyers, perhaps soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David N wrote:
IANAL but how off-limits are some of the names? For example, isn't there a Gandalf (a dwarf, IIRC) in some Old Norse writings? Down to who's got the most expensive lawyers, perhaps soblue

If you want to name your gun-toting mercenary "Gandolph" because you think the name sounds aesthetically appropriate and fits conveniently into the rhyming Prophecy of the Stars that's central to your backstory, then go for it! Nobody cares.

But if you're doing it because you think it will make players think of Lord of the Rings, will be familiar to players, or will catch people's attention, well then you're pretty much stealing publicity generated from the legally protected application of someone else's idea. You deserve what happens next.

So you have to ask yourself -- not whether its legal or not, but why you want to do it in the first place. If that trail of thought leads back to someone else's product, you're doing something that you already know is wrong. If the decision is made completely independent of someone's product, then you're pretty much okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could make it a parody - change the names just enough a la Bored of the Rings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Harasimowicz
Germany
Hilden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David N wrote:

There was also a king with that name - Gandalf Alfgeirsson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks all for fast and decisive answers. This is a game that will never see the light of day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not base your game on dead center earth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
kerpob2 wrote:
Wow! Thanks all for fast and decisive answers. This is a game that will never see the light of day.

don't give up on an idea just because of theme being locked down.. if you think the game is worth it then spend a little time thinking about a re-theme.. as people have mentioned some things are open to use (elves, orcs, dwarves, wizards etc). There are a lot of open source games systems that are ridiculously similar to middle earth (see D&D pathfinder system) and books that are similar as well. Take a look at some of R E Feist's books (the magician in particular).. they even have a map that looks dubiously like middle earth but different enough to slip passed the rights holders.

if you are not completely set on middle earth but wanted something that people are going to recognise and be drawn to then think about the Cthulhu world. It is now completely public domain so you can use any of it you like without infringing anything. It also has a large following out there (like me) that watch out for new games of that ilk..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grinch wrote:
Maybe you could make it a parody - change the names just enough a la Bored of the Rings

In the UK parody wouldn't be a defence. I think Ireland (the OP's country) may be the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
The Grinch wrote:

In the UK parody wouldn't be a defence. I think Ireland (the OP's country) may be the same.

Yeah, wouldn't work in Britain (or in many other European countries). Throughout Europe, artists are given "moral rights" through their copyright laws, something that's absent in US law, part of the reason we can freely make parodies here. So even if you did make it a parody in the US, you'd still get sued in Britain.

Usually it's not worthwhile for the owner of a copyright to go after someone who makes a derivative app, especially if there's very little money being made on it or it's free. But this particular subject is one that the owners (and licensees) will clamp down on in every single case they learn about. They have to, they never want to set the precedent that they've let their rights slide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
kerpob2 wrote:
Question is... as per the title: "if I do a game based on Middle Earth will I get sued?"

It depends on what you mean by "based on". If you want to use the name "Middle Earth" (trademarked) then you'll be liable. If you want to use the maps published in the books (copyrighted) then you'll be liable. But if you draw a map of your own (it can depict Middle Earth as long as you don't copy anything outright) and make sure that you don't use any of the trademarked names, icons and/or then you'll likely get away with it.

Of course, copyright law being what it is you'll still get sued - it's just that you won't be sentenced. Or more likely, you'll get a cease and desist letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin518 wrote:
Why not base your game on dead center earth?

Or better: Fringe Island?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welshmilla wrote:

I believer Warner Brothers hold the rights

I would think that FFG has a bigger stake in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
Welshmilla wrote:

I believer Warner Brothers hold the rights

I would think that FFG has a bigger stake in this case.

Both wrong. The Tolkien Estate holds rights to the works. That will never change, the estate holds those very closely. However, the companies you list have a license from them to use the work in certain formats only (not FFG anymore though, see below). New Line pays enormous license fees from the profits of the movie to Tolkien Enterprises (actually now Middle Earth Enterprises, I believe), but they would hold no claim over a published game.

Therefore, if the OP published a game, he would be sued not only by M.E.E., but Ares Games (NOT FFG, the license has passed to Ares) and possibly GW for violating their license agreement. But only MEE holds rights.

EDIT: I don't think I should have said Ares Games, I think it is actually Sophisticated Games, for WotR and MEQ. There are probably a lot of other games (and video game) companies, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Weldon
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice on the subject: borrow mechanics, but come up with your own IP. Legal issues aside, using someone else's setting and characters is lame and uncreative... especially something already so tired and overdone as Tolkien.

Make your game, just come up with your own world for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Tolkien's work has been so derived and regurgitated over the years, I can't see any reason why you need to set your game in "Middle Earth." Hundreds of fantasy writers have basically written their own version of Lord of the Rings simply by changing a few things and names around - This should work plenty fine for your game. Change the names and geography - the theme/play will be nearly identical. As an added bonus, you'll unshackle yourself from the IP and maybe come up with something more compelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Clayberg
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grinch wrote:

Goodgulf
Sorhed
Frito
Dildo
Moxie
Pepsi
Legolam
Gimlet
Tim Benzedrine ("Tim, Tim Benzedrine/Hash boo valvoline/Clean clean clean for Gene/First, second, neutral, park/Hie thee hence, you leafy narc")
Hashberry

(to name a few)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The default setting for fantasy is quite close to Lord of the Rings with the specific names taken out.

But does the world really need another imagination-free fantasy setting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.