Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been around for that long to fully grasp the whole Case Blue meme. Can someone enlighten me as to when the said game became this highly regarded or is this an in-joke? ninja

edit: typo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gab4tac wrote:
I haven't been around for that long to fully grasp the whole Case Clue meme. Can someone enlighten me as to when the said game became this highly regarded or is this an in-joke? ninja

Yes.

Both answers are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy -- here we go... "No! Got to fight it! Can't lose control! Will strong... Body weak..."
zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I would call it an in-joke, but I'm not sure it's clever enough to be called a joke. While Case Blue was in print (a couple years back), it was one of the largest (and most expensive) readily available wargames. So anytime some poor new bloke would post asking for advice about how to get into wargaming, some wise guy would pop in and recommend Case Blue. It just grew from there into the universal answer for anything about wargaming. But I don't think there's any reason it couldn't have been, say, World in Flames or some other monster game instead.

Case Blue is still a highly regarded game, though, despite the silly meme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
I guess I would call it an in-joke, but I'm not sure it's clever enough to be called a joke. While Case Blue was in print (a couple years back), it was one of the largest (and most expensive) readily available wargames. So anytime some poor new bloke would post asking for advice about how to get into wargaming, some wise guy would pop in and recommend Case Blue. It just grew from there into the universal answer for anything about wargaming. But I don't think there's any reason it couldn't have been, say, World in Flames or some other monster game instead.

Today, some "wise guy" could blurt out Where Eagles Dare, and accomplish the same. It could wind up being a double-bust, as the "poor new bloke" might be driven to chase after The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen to fill out the set.
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gab4tac wrote:
I haven't been around for that long to fully grasp the whole Case Clue meme.

Colonel Mustard... with the wrench... at Kharkov!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gab4tac wrote:

There's something about the title, as well, which lends itself to this kind of in-joke. Two words. Two syllables. No obvious geographical association, which adds an enigmatic quality to it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
gab4tac wrote:
More of a 'Case Clueless' question then, isn't it?

@Paolo Robino: good catch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its interesting to see the hype around this game and its elevation to its mythic status.

But I think to see through the clouded myth, all you have to do is to analysis people's pocket-book, meaning: Are people willing to fork out hard earn cash to buy this sucker?

I have noticed that the price for Case Blue (and DAKII) are actually quite disproportionately cheap for an OOP Gamers/MMP game. The original US$200 price tag has only increase $50 on average on the used market. Compare this to some of the Gamer's other ACW fare or MMP's Devil's Cauldron, and you will notice that there are not many willing buyers.

I think this reflects (unscientifically & subjectively) the lack of actual players for this game. Collectors know that games that are actually commonly played like Fire in the East say, garner better prices in the long term (assuming no one does a reprint) (which makes sense, but there are exceptions!). I have many monster gaming friends and not any are playing Case Blue, yes, some are playing OCS occasionally, but not Case Blue (although, many have play it in the past). These friends of mine always go back to the try and true monsters like WiF, Europa and the like elk. Maybe its replay-ability is the issue? I don't know. But these are my observations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
I blame Tony Clifton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haring wrote:
I blame Tony Clifton.

This might be the new meme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:
Haring wrote:
I blame Tony Clifton.

This might be the new meme.

Actually, I think that would be "I blame Foley".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:
gab4tac wrote:

Colonel Mustard... with the wrench... at Kharkov!

LOL. Good catch!

Thanks everyone for the answers. Now I'll be able to sleep at night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
Its interesting to see the hype around this game and its elevation to its mythic status.

But I think to see through the clouded myth, all you have to do is to analysis people's pocket-book, meaning: Are people willing to fork out hard earn cash to buy this sucker?

I have noticed that the price for Case Blue (and DAKII) are actually quite disproportionately cheap for an OOP Gamers/MMP game. The original US$200 price tag has only increase $50 on average on the used market. Compare this to some of the Gamer's other ACW fare or MMP's Devil's Cauldron, and you will notice that there are not many willing buyers.

I think this reflects (unscientifically & subjectively) the lack of actual players for this game. Collectors know that games that are actually commonly played like Fire in the East say, garner better prices in the long term (assuming no one does a reprint) (which makes sense, but there are exceptions!). I have many monster gaming friends and not any are playing Case Blue, yes, some are playing OCS occasionally, but not Case Blue (although, many have play it in the past). These friends of mine always go back to the try and true monsters like WiF, Europa and the like elk. Maybe its replay-ability is the issue? I don't know. But these are my observations.

Case Blue is a great game. If you look on the vassal server you will see it being played (by more than one group ) pretty much every day. I've played it many times. Following the OCS forum on CSW its apparent that this game gets lots of plays and there always games of it going. I personally have been playing in a 5-6 player game since September last year, combined with Guderian's Blitzkrieg II its probably been the most awesome gaming experience I've had in my more than 40 years of wargaming.
Seems you haven't really tried very hard to look through your "clouded myth" or your just assuming things with out checking them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of the joke is naming a monster game as the answer to anything. About a year ago a BGG contact connected me to a group, local to me, of monster wargamers who have spent the last quarter century playing games like Case Blue, Europa, World in Flames, War Between the States, Empires in Arms, Terrible Swift Sword, and now The Devil's Cauldron (but these guys are really wimps, in that they just laughed when I suggested we play Campaign for North Africa). I think answering "Case Blue" to many questions here on BGG is like cheering on a fellow wargamer to go hard core. Sure it's partly in jest. But it reminds us of our aspirations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
tppytel wrote:

I sense perhaps a WIFjealousy. Don't be blue about it, and please dont get on anyones casefor it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, Case Blue is the "42" for wargamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's twin meme is The Campaign for North Africa a game so long that it is rumoured to have never been played to completion and whose rule book specifies that Italians consume more water on account of their pasta consumption.

Thus when someone asks for a game to introduce their 8 yro son to war gaming with... I heartily endorse CNA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try to play The Campaign for North Africa with Tony Clifton, while living in a blue Case...

Now that's a hard game!shake

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.