Mike Smith-Stoe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I thrifted a copy of Milton Bradley's Electronic Grandmaster.

Yep, that's the one.

The only problem, and since the game is electronic it's a big problem, the game did not come with a cord.

Yep, that's what's missing. I don't have high hopes of finding an original parts replacement, at least not one I'd buy. (My brother says he saw one online somewhere for some crazy inflated price like $100. And yes that was just the cord.) So my next thought was to get something at RadioShack. The wrinkle in that plan is that I don't know any of the specs of the cord. All of the pictures I've seen of the cord just show the top of the transformer, which, aside from letting me know it's a Milton Bradley cord, doesn't tell me squat. The underside of the game itself doesn't give any clues. And the rulebook online (yes, I'm missing that too) wasn't any help either.

So, if you are a lucky owner of one of these big chess machines I would be greatly appreciative if you could share the specs that I assume are on the underside of the transformer. A picture of the underside, or wherever the specs are listed, would be fantastic.

Any other help finding the specs would also be really cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Buse
United States
Yakima
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The specs from the Manual on page 9 said 115V 60HZ 30WATTS AC ONLY http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/Grand-Master_(Electron.... Have you went down directly to RS with it. They should be able to tell by the connection.
WYS
Julie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Circa 1982?

I'd be shocked it it makes legal moves....laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith-Stoe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Athena60_98 wrote:
The specs from the Manual on page 9 said 115V 60HZ 30WATTS AC ONLY http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/Grand-Master_(Electron.... Have you went down directly to RS with it. They should be able to tell by the connection.
WYS
Julie

Thanks Julie. I've made three trips to my local Radio Shack.

The first trip I just brought pictures which wasn't enough.

The second trip I brought in the game, which was a funny trip because one of the guys there assumed that the game had an internal transformer (due to its size and connector style) so he tripped the circuit breaker when he plugged it in, and they had to reboot their computers. Hopefully this didn't do damage to the game.

The third trip I brought in page 9 that you mentioned, but another guy told me that those specs pretty much just mean that it plugs into a regular outlet. I don't know squat about electronic. But that make sense because looking at a video camera transformer for comparison I see that the input is a range of 100-240 volts while the output is a specific 8.4 volts.

So to be able to find or build a proper cord I need those output specs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith-Stoe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Circa 1982?

I'd be shocked it it makes legal moves....laugh

The processor isn't particularly fast. Page 12 of the above mentioned manual says the average time for making a move on level 6 is 1 minute. Level 11 is 3 minutes, 45 seconds. At the top level, 12, the computer will just keep thinking until you push a button to tell it to stop.

I'm no chess master. Back in college I fell for the lose in 3 moves ploy. I was playing a 10 year old. So whatever this electronic game has to offer is sure to be substantial competition.

Personally I'm pretty impressed with what this circa 1982 thing can do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was painful to watch...gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith-Stoe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
That was painful to watch...gulp

Well thanks for such a detailed reply.

Honestly I'm not here to defend this machine, though I will say that at the very start of the above video it looks like the game is set to level 1, a level that will avoid winning unless you force it to. As for personal experience with the game, I have none. I haven't even gotten it running yet. That is the goal of this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What did you expect? It's the year 2012, you have a YouBoob video of a chess computer from THIRTY YEARS ago making horrible moves.

I stand by my detailed reply. It was painful to watch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that thing is smoking fast compared to my much newer Phantom Force (mechanically, at least).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJADuhQAUQ0&feature=related

Really surprised they couldn't help you at Radio Shack. They were able to piece me together a power-chord through simple trial and error (for what little it's worth, 9v 1500mA, tip size M).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
What did you expect? It's the year 2012, you have a YouBoob video of a chess computer from THIRTY YEARS ago making horrible moves.

I guess if that is your idea of a detailed reply, and it is causing you pain, then it's probably better for you to just drop out of this thread.

For my part, I was amazed. I did not know such things existed, and the idea that it could move the pieces around (even centering the white player pieces) was, well I already said it, amazing. Got me looking into this kind of machine for a future Christmas present. Thank you for sharing.

As to strategy, I'll happily take anybody's opinion that the moves are sub-optimal, but horrible? I don't know, I don't see anybody in check, and while I can see ways to place Black in check in 2 moves, I also see counters so I don't think I'd concede either side quite yet. If it's meant to be a learning tool, and it's set to "easy", then it supposed to make sub-optimal moves isn't it? Your first driving lesson wasn't a manual transmission on the freeway was it?

Lastly, and back to topic, I'd seek a second opinion. Maybe another Radio Shack? There has to be a way to deduce the power requirements, or find them through trial and error without hurting it. Two other ideas, write to MB directly? Long shot, but maybe they kept the specifications? Or keep haunting e-bay and chess sites looking ofr somebody who owns one, just like you're doing here.

Best of luck and I hope you'll come back and tie up this thread when you get your power supply. Meanwhile, thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The video was geeky retro fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:

I guess if that is your idea of a detailed reply, and it is causing you pain, then it's probably better for you to just drop out of this thread.

Come again? It was totally in jest. Don't be that guy. See the painfully obvious ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, I'm "that guy"! Sorry Mark, I did indeed completly miss the little whatjimcallit.... My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this site. They may be able to help if they're still in possession of their copy.

EDIT: Another site you might try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crawford
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, just wanted to let you know I ran into the "Phantom" version of this at the Downtown Seattle Goodwill. Unfortunately, it was just the board. No pieces, no box, and no cord. I left it behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff c

California
msg tools
okay if you are still looking am lucky owner of said chess game still works cost $500 brand new bought the first one store sold has 12 levels programmed by chess master so depending on your ability will find level that works for you have specs on under side of transformer took picture of it and can email it to you if you still are interested in it very nice game have had offers to sell mine just cant part withit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BRUCE MARKOWITZ
United States
California
flag msg tools
CAN U SEND ME THE SPECS ALSO I HAVE ONE OF THESE UNITS MISSING THE CORD THANX BRUCE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carlos nagualito
Italy
flag msg tools
Here it is the photo of the original power adaptor.
It seems to be
2x6v
1,7 Ah

I am so happy i got this board.
All the best to all the chess geekers around the world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snake hands
United Kingdom
Frimley
Surrey
flag msg tools
Did you have any luck getting it to work?

Here's a video of a replay of me beating my MB Phantom version on level 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD39ihmDxn0&t=13s

Not sure why the guy posting at the beginning of this thread didn't think a c. 1980s chess computer could make legal moves. Ten years before this machine was produced, the computing power needed to run it wouldn't have fitted inside an average living room. This machine is a marvel and, arguably, a direct descendant of The Turk Automaton Chess Player, from the late 18th century.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.