Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So not too long ago I found the awesome world of in depth board games and have become hooked. I've been considering picking this one up but was wondering if there was any chance of another reprint. I'd hate to spend $200 on something that then gets reprinted and sells for $100 or less. I know some of these games sell out quickly and then people start charging a premium for them, but with some of them you just have to wait for a reprint. I don't think that's going to happen here but just thought I'd get the opinion of the BGG community. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not unlikely to be reprinted as a forth edition at some time, but not in the near future. Check the gaps between 1st, 2nd and third. I guess waiting is not an option if you want to play it anytime soon.
You might consider buying an older edition though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Games Workshop wrote:
This is a one-off, limited edition product, with a single print run. If you have any interest in owning your own Space Hulk, I strongly suggest you advance order a copy today. Do not wait, because when they're gone, they're gone (although one of the Studio team did hint at a doing 50th anniversary edition in 2039). And DO NOT put this on your wish list, forget about it and expect to get one under the tree at Christmas, because even Santa has his limits.

Quote from the GW announcement blog post.

Quoted from an earlier response of mine to a thread titled "Reprint?", which I copied from a thread titled "Possible Reprint?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you both for the info. I actually went through a good 15 pages of the forum looking for a posting on this but didn't come across one and just thought it'd be easier to post my own question. Sorry to repost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are multiple threads explaining as to why it's unlikely to happen any time soon.

I'd say there basically zero chance of a reprint before 2014 at the very earliest as they have to let the existing secondary market clear and then let demand build back up. Even then, it's much more likely to hit around 2019 or later.

From the best numbers, GW printed roughly the right amount of sets, it's the speculators and price gougers that are causing the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
cardician wrote:
Thanks to you both for the info. I actually went through a good 15 pages of the forum looking for a posting on this but didn't come across one and just thought it'd be easier to post my own question. Sorry to repost.

Not a problem The next time you're looking for something, there's a game-specific forum search function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like the real question isn't, "Will GW ever reprint this?" but is actually, "If I buy this now for more than $100, will I regret it?"

The answer is: no, you will not regret buying this now. There are two very good reasons for this.

(1) As Guido already pointed out, the likelihood of GW doing a reprint any time in the near future (like, say, in the next 5-10 years) is extremely low. There has been some speculation about a 25 year anniversary edition, but why would GW do that so soon after their 20 year anniversary edition? If you look at Space Hulk's release history, the answer is that they wouldn't. A 50 year anniversary is definitely the most likely scenario (although I could see GW doing something like a 35 year anniversary). Either way, you are in for a VERY long wait if you decide to wait for Space Hulk 4th edition. Heck, they may even keep their word and never reprint Space Hulk (see Space Crusade, for example). I'd bet my money on a limited-release 50th anniversary edition, (and those will undoubtedly sell out within the first month).

(2) Space Hulk retains its value. 1st and 2nd edition copies of SH are still selling above their purchase price (even with the cost of inflation). So if you buy a copy and then somewhere down the road you decide to sell it, you'll get your money back and still get to keep all those wonderful memories you had of playing the game. To put it simply: supply is low, demand is high, and neither of these things will change with time (as history has shown), so as long as you buy a copy of the game at market value, you're still getting a good deal.

Now the next question: what is market value for a copy of Space Hulk 3rd edition? At the moment, I've seen most copies on ebay selling for between $170-220. If you can get a complete copy for less than $170, that's a real bargain. And if you are paying more than $200, I would suggest waiting a few more weeks and scanning ebay and the geek for some better deals.

That's my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Claustrophobia it scratched my Space Hulk itch and its still in print
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the good info. I know this has all been stated before so I appreciate you taking the time. I'll be more diligent with searching in the future.

I just wanted to add though that you've all convinced me to take the plunge and I just happened to find a copy here on BGG for $185 which seems like a good deal (according to what everyone says). I'd actually prefer my copy not to be sealed so that I can know ahead of time the components are all in good working order. I read another thread someone posted where they received a new sealed copy and lots of stuff inside was damaged. That worries me so this is one of the few times where I actually wanted used and opened Plus the guy has the Battlefoam insert which from the pictures looks like what would be the best way to store the figures.

Anyway, thanks again all. This is an item I'm going to enjoy adding to my collection as much to enjoy playing as to just have it as a collectible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cardician wrote:
Thank you all for the good info. I know this has all been stated before so I appreciate you taking the time. I'll be more diligent with searching in the future.

I just wanted to add though that you've all convinced me to take the plunge and I just happened to find a copy here on BGG for $185 which seems like a good deal (according to what everyone says). I'd actually prefer my copy not to be sealed so that I can know ahead of time the components are all in good working order. I read another thread someone posted where they received a new sealed copy and lots of stuff inside was damaged. That worries me so this is one of the few times where I actually wanted used and opened Plus the guy has the Battlefoam insert which from the pictures looks like what would be the best way to store the figures.

Anyway, thanks again all. This is an item I'm going to enjoy adding to my collection as much to enjoy playing as to just have it as a collectible.

Congrats! The battlefoam insert definitely makes it a good bargain (it's $15 on the battlefoam website, and shipping is about $10...so IMHO you did quite well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always try Incursion, a game effectively based on Space Hulk. It uses card board piece out of the box, so relatively cost effective, though you can pimp your game with metal minis (which might bring the cost to /more/ than Space Hulk).

Or just bite the bullet and buy 3rd Ed. You won't regret it

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
There are multiple threads explaining as to why it's unlikely to happen any time soon.

I'd say there basically zero chance of a reprint before 2014 at the very earliest as they have to let the existing secondary market clear and then let demand build back up. Even then, it's much more likely to hit around 2019 or later.

From the best numbers, GW printed roughly the right amount of sets, it's the speculators and price gougers that are causing the problem.

If they printed the right amount of sets, the speculators and price gougers would not be a problem.

Supply and demand... in Space Hulk 3, the demand is much higher than the supply, hence the high prices.

Games Workshop having printed "enough" of the third edition is... not true... to avoid using other words
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Carlin
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
You could always try Incursion, a game effectively based on Space Hulk. It uses card board piece out of the box, so relatively cost effective, though you can pimp your game with metal minis (which might bring the cost to /more/ than Space Hulk).

-shnar

Aww crap, you see what you did now? I've looked into Incursion now (hadn't heard of it before) and now I've added it to my Wishlist. Also, looking into it introduced me to Legions of Steel which I also think sounds good and have added to my list. So that's more time and money you've cost me by telling me about two other games that sound great. Damn you!

(Just want to clarify because it doesn't convey well on the net that I'm not mad or trying to be mean. I appreciate the mention of a game I hadn't heard before and it does sound cool and I have added it to my wishlist.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LEGIONS OF STEEL is awesome. If you can find a set, buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Legions of Steel is an awsome game! I'm biased, and I'll declare my conflict of interest as I have a large Legions of Steel lot that I just pulled from the Marketplace while I discuss it with a buyer from the another site. It includes the base game and a ton of extras. If that sale falls through, I will relist it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
If they printed the right amount of sets, the speculators and price gougers would not be a problem.

Actually my argument is that, where it not for the speculators and price gougers, the number of sets available would be approximately correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a copy from my local game shop but still haven't opened it. At first it was lack of time but then some time passed and I picked up Claustrophobia. I've never actually played Space Hulk but I'm told that Claustrophobia makes it obsolete for some people, especially considering the price. Now I'm just keeping it in shrink to possibly sell for more games some day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Dove wrote:
I bought a copy from my local game shop but still haven't opened it. At first it was lack of time but then some time passed and I picked up Claustrophobia. I've never actually played Space Hulk but I'm told that Claustrophobia makes it obsolete for some people, especially considering the price. Now I'm just keeping it in shrink to possibly sell for more games some day.

Never! If anything, Space Hulk is sci-fi and not overplayed fantasy. It's fairly unique sci-fi too. Sure there's games like Earth Reborn and Doom: The Boardgame, but they don't have that same feeling of tight space ships, tense timers, exciting game play that Space Hulk has.

You really should try it before selling it. Find a friend who has a copy, or join a PBF game (rules are very simple).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I'll second what Shnar said: try it before you sell it! There's a reason it's a "Grail Game" for so many people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3rd edition components are a real treat too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Olvenskol wrote:
The 3rd edition components are a real treat too.

...meh...
The miniatures I could do without (and have, actually - sold my complete copy and bought one sans minis for much less). The rest is pretty nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek McKay
Azerbaijan
APO
msg tools
badge
Is it my turn? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Dove wrote:

I have played both, and Claustrophobia is not a better game than Space Hulk. Claustrophobia is fine game, but there is NO way it obsoletes SH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that even if GW were to reprint Space Hulk any time soon...
It would allmost 100% likely see a jump in price again. 120$ US? I doubt it would go to 150$US. But this is GW we are talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
It would allmost 100% likely see a jump in price again. 120$ US? I doubt it would go to 150$US. But this is GW we are talking about.

I wonder if Dreadfleet gives them pause to keep ratcheting up the base cost to buy in to a game though. It was apparently in Australia where they started the recall of stock, and that's also where they decided that the standard retail price for the game would be AUD$190 (USD$200).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

I wonder if Dreadfleet gives them pause to keep ratcheting up the base cost to buy in to a game though. It was apparently in Australia where they started the recall of stock, and that's also where they decided that the standard retail price for the game would be AUD$190 (USD$200).

Dreadfleet was a *dumb* idea. Not the game in general, but the thought that it would sell anywhere near as good as Space Hulk. One of my FLGSes bought a ton of copies thinking it would be hotcakes, like at least 20 games, and I think they sold 2? Now they're just sitting on the shelves.

They should have printing a much smaller fraction of games, keep the supply down, and that might have generated demand or at the very least kept the risk low. The high cost is another bad idea on a completely unknown game. I'm very much willing to risk $100+ on Space Hulk because *I've played the game* and love it and want another copy. Dreadfleet? No idea. Why risk that much on a game I may never play?

Anyways, if a 4th Ed came out, I don't think most of us would complain at the cost (unless it came out soon). I'd rather see an expansion to 3rd Ed though, even if it was just a book of missions

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.