Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have purchased quite a few games in the past 30-45 days, mainly gearing my decisions around my family and their perceived likes/dislikes. They are as follows:

Arkham Horror
Runebound (Second Edition)
Forbidden Island
Dominion
Gears of War: The Board Game
The Hunger Games: District 12 Strategy Game

We like them all, although now that they have had a taste of Forbidden Island and its' 30-minute game length, getting them to jump back into Arkham Horror might prove mildly difficult (although it is one of my faves).

Now, I want to be purely selfish and buy a game that I can play solo, or can play with the family if they so elect. This can be a fairly hardcore game. I do like dungeon crawls, war games (although I haven't bought one in years), or pretty much anything else...

I had pondered picking up Magic Realm if I could find it for a relatively decent price.

Any suggestions? Much thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb

You could take a look at Mage Knight Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
I would personally recommend checking out Agricola and Le Havre, both of which are heavier European strategy games that can be played solo. They are both ranked in the top 7 games on this site for good reason!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
Try an expansion for one of the games you have - Runebound: Sands of Al-Kalim for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marathon Man
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
Can't comment on the solo angle but I have been playing Memoir '44 and I highly recommend this brand, ton of expansions will have you playing for a long time. MM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey Whittaker
United States
Egg Harbor Twp.
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Betrayal at house on the Hill is a fun game. Plays in an hour or so, amazing re-playability, and fun (though be it dice heavy) mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions ... I haven't totally decided, but a couple of these games have me very intrigued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on you liking dungeon crawls and war games, I'll suggest these games that can be played solo or co-op.

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game (you'll have to control two characters)
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game (some prefer it to Castle Ravenloft)
Gears of War: The Board Game (growing fandom for this one)
Defenders of the Realm (a big game)
A Blood-Red Banner: The Alamo (strictly a solo player war game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not well versed in Dungeon Crawlers but I own Agricola and have played it much more solo than with others. It's very nice as far as solo games go. Also the various difficulty levels possible with the family variant and the various decks should definitely allow you to find something for your family too.

I would also like to throw Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game into the mix, which I've enjoyed as a solo game. YMMV. Sure the whole traitor hunt is not present when playing solo but so much of the game is firefighting crisis and attacks that it's still pretty challenging and enjoyable. Also since your family was willing and capable of playing Arkham Horror they should not have a problem with this either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War is superior to all of the D&D dungeon crawls in every respect. So don't waste any money on those

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're a fan of Arkham Horror, I'm going to recommend Defenders of the Realm as well. Great, great game by the same designer as AH. Solo play, oozes fantasy theme, and lots of designer support here on the Geek. Right now it's pretty much my favorite boardgame ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E M
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BirdfluNuggetz wrote:

Now, I want to be purely selfish and buy a game that I can play solo, or can play with the family if they so elect. This can be a fairly hardcore game. I do like dungeon crawls...

+1 for Mage Knight Board Game
This game really rewards decision making and there's a big difference in player performance. (Check out the reactions to this short session report: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/761430/solo-conquest-goldyx-... )

You'll notice that you get better at the game after every play, which feels very fulfilling.

(Technically not a dungeon crawl as you're ranging over a landscape, but it scratches the same itch for me.)

*Caveats for family play: quite fiddly, lots of cards and tokens on the table. Now the fiddlyness is mainly in setting up new rounds/revealing new tiles and enemies, explaining special abilities of these enemies, and all this can be done by you as a "game organizer."

For the other players, who don't have to deal with this, playing the game is quite simple, and the cards are mostly self-explanatory. "Move 2, pay green mana to move 4", etc.
But, it's maybe not for the youngest of the young, as beating certain enemies requires you to juggle a number of enemy special abilities and resistances with your own counters and attacks, minions etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.