Popular Tags: [View All]
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!

I'm thinking about getting into Summoner Wars but have never played before. I've looked into it some and I think my son will enjoy it.

Unfortunately, I am a completist and I can easily see us wanting everything SW if it is a hit. How many expansions are there? I've looked through BGG but started getting overwhelmed by the factions decks and the reinforcement decks and...

Anyway, I am hoping this isn't on of the posts that pops up every week (I looked, I swear).

I was hoping someone might be able to sum up the Summoner Wars universe for me or point me in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Master Set (6 armies and a nice board, dice and wound markers)
2 Different Starter Sets (2 armies each, paper board, dice and wound markers)
6 more single army packs (for a total of 16 armies)

If you want to do deckbuilding/unit swapping, then:
6 sets of reinforcement decks, each with extra stuff for 2 armies, plus some Mercenaries. I assume these will eventually be released to fill out all the armies with reinforcements. You could not buy these and have a great set. I have them myself, but havent even ventured into customizing yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel H
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a quick look, and I think that every deck is currently available here: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/store.html.
That's also the best place to get all of the promo mercenary cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're a completist, Summoner Wars is very addictive. I'm only a moderate completist, but I find myself wanting to stop by the game store every single day to see if the new stuff (Filth and Mercenaries and reprints of Tundra Orcs / Phoenix Elves) has come in yet. If you're worried about getting sucked in, then RUN!

On the other hand, this isn't Magic. You can get everything released so far for somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 (depending on if you pay retail).

Out so far...
Master Set (6 factions - about $50 retail)
Cave Goblins / Guild Dwarves Starter - $25(?)
Phoenix Elves / Tundra Orcs Starter - $25 (?)
Faction packs for Jungle Elves, Cloaks, Fallen Kingdom, Vanguard (about $10 each)
10 Reinforcement packs, 1 each for the 10 pre-Master Set factions. (about $10 each)
4 Reinforcement packs, each with new units for 2 of the 8 pre-Master Set factions. (about $10 each)

Due soon:
Reprints of some pre-Master Set stuff.
Faction packs for Filth and Mercenaries.
Reinforcement packs for 4 of the Master Set factions.
(and then 4 more Reinforcement packs due out soon after that... after which I have no idea what's planned)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another helpful list:
http://blagog.com/2011/11/23/summoner-wars-new-players-buyin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Bullock
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
Hey all!

I'm thinking about getting into Summoner Wars but have never played before. I've looked into it some and I think my son will enjoy it.

Unfortunately, I am a completist and I can easily see us wanting everything SW if it is a hit. How many expansions are there? I've looked through BGG but started getting overwhelmed by the factions decks and the reinforcement decks and...

Anyway, I am hoping this isn't on of the posts that pops up every week (I looked, I swear).

I was hoping someone might be able to sum up the Summoner Wars universe for me or point me in the right direction.

As has been said, there are currently sixteen different factions in Summoner Wars. As you pointed out, that's an awful lot and as other people have pointed out, you can get everything for something like $200-$250. I started when there were four and two more were on the way.

There are two recommended starting points:
(1) Either (or both) of the newly-reprinted "Starter Sets": Guild Dwarves v. Cave Goblins or Phoenix Elves v. Tundra Orcs;
(2) the Master Set

Option one gives you 2-4 factions and 1-2 paper mats.

For the same price as both boxes in option 1, option 2 gets you six factions, a nicer board, and storage for most of your future purchases.

The Master Set is obviously the long term value purchase. You can follow that up with the starter sets if you want, or start buying the individual faction boxes (you can even get them in pairs of two, mirroring their release: Fallen Kingdom/Vanguard; Jungle Elves/Cloaks; Filth/Mercenaries).

Then, once you get all sixteen, you can start buying the expansions for the decks you either like the most or like the least. I recommend the latter, weirdly, because hopefully the expansions to those decks will make you like the deck more. All the reinforcements will run you $80 MSRP.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Edit: Ninja'd by the Blagog link. Darn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input/advice and links. That saves me some trouble of trying to decipher everything. It looks like I'm about to get poorer...unless someone would like to talk me out of it.

One last thing...is there anything that is going out of print that I should jump on quickly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy the master set. It's the best bang for the buck and gives you a really good assortment of decks to try out. If the game is a hit and you simply must have more, then you've already been told what's out there. If it's a success, but not something you need more of then you have a good variety of decks to play for quite some time. If you hate it, and I doubt you will, you shouldn't have much trouble trading it away.

Edit:
Hockey Mask wrote:
One last thing...is there anything that is going out of print that I should jump on quickly?
If there is, it will go back into print sooner or later. I wouldn't look for any of this to fade into obscurity anytime real soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Wen
United States
Lake Forest
Click to Select (if applicable)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend the two starter sets that just got reprinted. In my opinion, the original four factions have the most flavor, but maybe that's just because I played them first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
Out so far...
Faction packs for Jungle Elves, Cloaks, Fallen Kingdom, Vanguard (about $10 each)
10 Reinforcement packs, 1 each for the 10 pre-Master Set factions. (about $10 each)
4 Reinforcement packs, each with new units for 2 of the 8 pre-Master Set factions. (about $10 each)

Due soon:
2 Reinforcement packs for 4 of the Master Set factions.
(and then 4 2 more Reinforcement packs due out soon after that...

FTFY

Quote:
... after which I have no idea what's planned)

Probably next year, Second Summoner decks will start appearing, containing all-new units and Events for each faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:

FTFY

Ah yes, absolutely. Not sure what I was thinking... wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
Probably next year, Second Summoner decks will start appearing, containing all-new units and Events for each faction.

Would it make sense to wait on those and get the "upgraded" versions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Bullock
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
Barliman wrote:

Would it make sense to wait on those and get the "upgraded" versions?

They're not upgraded. They're just new and different. They'll be backwards compatible with the Units of the previous Summoners. They're just being added instead of just a constantly spiraling increase in the number of stand-alone factions.

That being said, even when those do come out, I am fairly certain the Master Set will still be the most prominent point of entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkbladecb wrote:

They're not upgraded. They're just new and different. They'll be backwards compatible with the Units of the previous Summoners. They're just being added instead of just a constantly spiraling increase in the number of stand-alone factions.

I like this much better than the Reinforcement packs.

1) It allows increased deck-building for those who like it.

2) Those who don't want to deck-build can keep the decks separate and play them as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So will most be probably fans own both and still play both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
Thanks for the input/advice and links. That saves me some trouble of trying to decipher everything. It looks like I'm about to get poorer...unless someone would like to talk me out of it.

Stop thinking about it and buy the master set. I might buy the master set and the orc/elf starter set at the same time, because that set has two of the easiest factions to start playing with, but it is not necessary. The 6 factions in the master set will give you a ton of replayability, and if you like the game, you will quickly go out and get some or all of the other faction decks. The game does not need the reinforcement decks at all, but if you enjoy it and like the idea of changing up deck builds, you can get them later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I always suggest buying the Orc/Elf starter first. They are easy to understand, thematic and fun to play. Plus, it costs less than the Master Set in case it doesn't go well. Overall, the master set factions are just a little more complex and some of them get quite wordy. I would even consider getting their reinforcements before the master set.

Having said that, I have everything that has come out with duplicates of some of them. SW is a little pricey but it has been worth it do far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S G
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:

I ordered my copy of the Master Set just a few hours ago; it's now hard to find in online stores in the US. This is my first foray into Summoner Wars, so I'm looking forward to it....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aerial7 wrote:
I ordered my copy of the Master Set just a few hours ago; it's now hard to find in online stores in the US. This is my first foray into Summoner Wars, so I'm looking forward to it....

It shouldn't be too hard soon. The master set was reprinted at the same time that the old starters were rebooted/reprinted, so if those are out there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea
Italy
Milan
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
If you're a completist, Summoner Wars is very addictive. I'm only a moderate completist, but I find myself wanting to stop by the game store every single day to see if the new stuff (Filth and Mercenaries and reprints of Tundra Orcs / Phoenix Elves) has come in yet. If you're worried about getting sucked in, then RUN!

On the other hand, this isn't Magic. You can get everything released so far for somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 (depending on if you pay retail).

Out so far...

Due soon:
Reinforcement packs for 4 of the Master Set factions.
(and then 4 more Reinforcement packs due out soon after that... after which I have no idea what's planned)

As far as you know, did they change anything in the reprints of Tundra Orcs / Phoenix Elves? I see that the new boxes are different from the original ones, but what about the cards? Are they still the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards should all be the same except for one of the Guild Dwarves champions.

The card text was errata'd, so for a while they had a replacement of the card available on their site. Now, the corrected card is just what comes with it.

The main change with the boxes was to accommodate the paper play mats better so they wouldn't need to be folded as much as they do with the first release of the starter sets. The mats now also have some new artwork on them, though I don't know if anyone's seen it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andymase wrote:
As far as you know, did they change anything in the reprints of Tundra Orcs / Phoenix Elves? I see that the new boxes are different from the original ones, but what about the cards? Are they still the same?

See this blog: http://blagog.com/2012/03/08/changes-in-the-starter-set-unit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Cermak
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
aerial7 wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:

Are you kidding? Amazon.com, CCGArmory.com, CoolStuffInc.com and Funagaingames.com all have it in stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glenn3e glenn3e
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I notice starting to get out of stock is the Fallen Kingdoms Faction deck. Plaidhat is out, as well as funagaingames. For those still deciding which additional packs to get, do get the FK before they are gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn you Colby!

I got the master set on Friday, got the two starter sets today, and getting 3 of the factions tomorrow.

Great game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.