Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Martin
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I'm fairly new here and to board gaming in general.

A few weeks back I had a birthday, and my wife asked me what I wanted to get (we have a nasty habit of choosing and purchasing our own gifts!). I told her that I wanted to get into board gaming and so I picked out 4 or 5 titles for myself. Well... I've been loving it! Those few games quickly snow-balled into several more as I picked up new games that I found interesting after researching them here on BGG. We've even managed to get a group of 4 guys playing semi-regularly.

Anyway, to get to the point, I am fortunate to have a job with a whole lot of down time. Many hours pass where I am required to be present, but have no tasks to perform other than to be ready if needed. As a result, I am now searching for solo games that are easily portable and take very little space so that I can kill some of the quiet hours at work. It can't be anything that would be cumbersome with a big board or figures, and preferably would be playable in 30 to 60 minutes. I'm thinking card based games would easiest, but am open to other ideas. The one game that has caught my eye for this purpose after watching some online videos of it being played is Space Hulk: Death Angel.

Can anybody suggest other games that are small enough to carry in a bag, small enough to play on a say a 3 foot by 2 foot area, and most importantly has good solo play as an option? I'm not opposed to some luck, but tend to prefer games where luck is a smaller factor than tactical play or good decision making. If interested, you can also check out my small collection to see what types of titles have caught my interest so far. If I haven't rated a game there, it means I have not played it enough times to form a final opinion yet (or possibly haven't played it all - which is the case with a couple of them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Victory Point Games. They do a quite a few solitaire games, most of which fit into an A5 zip lock bag, are very portable, and usually play in 30 minutes.

Their States of Siege series are very light war games covering a whole range of periods, all of which play in under an hour - some in 20 minutes!

If you're not so sure about the war gaming theme they also produce some fine solitaire games that aren't war games.

Hero of Weehawken is probably my favourite of their non-war games. It's a great piece of game design.
Disaster on Everest is another great game.
I'm also a fan of Nemo's War, but that is a slightly larger A4 game and can also take longer than 60 minutes to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a free print and play game called Queens of Fate you may be interested in. You can download it in the files section.

There are many great solo games that community members make freely available.

As for commercial products, I recommend Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's the "...in my pocket" type of games like Zombie in my Pocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Edwards
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Friday - it's great, compact, and I basically fell in love with it on my last business trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been having some fun with Jasper and Zot for the past couple of months during down time. Fits in a large ziploc bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Task Force Games did a line of small "Pocket Games" in the early 80s, many of which are soloable. They're still pretty easy to find on eBay, are inexpensive, and fit your space criteria.

Intruder, Boarding Party, and Valkenburg Castle are three of my favorites.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Task_Force_Games_Pock...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyne Tarse
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Sphere wrote:
Have a look at Friday.

Admje14 wrote:
Definitely Friday - it's great, compact, and I basically fell in love with it on my last business trip.

Another vote for Friday here. Compact, quick, and challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Zombie in My Pocket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I currently have a PS3, PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and an Amiga 1200 all connected to my TV
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
If the noise of rolling dice isn't a problem then Elder Sign is fun.

The box is not as small as some of the other suggestions here, but there is a lot of wasted space - the components can easily be put into some sort of alternative container. The manual is also available to download as a PDF from the FFG website, so no need to carry that around if you have access to a computer.

If you have a smartphone, then the Android and iOS implementations Elder Sign: Omens are very good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Red November is fairly small (the original edition, anyway) and like most co-ops can be played solo.

For print and play,
Lord of the Rings: The Adventure Deck Game is just a deck of cards and some counters.
My own Zed Deck is designed to be able to be played standing up (no table required) and is just a deck of cards and a means to keep score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Martin
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryces wrote:
If the noise of rolling dice isn't a problem then Elder Sign is fun.

The box is not as small as some of the other suggestions here, but there is a lot of wasted space - the components can easily be put into some sort of alternative container. The manual is also available to download as a PDF from the FFG website, so no need to carry that around if you have access to a computer.

If you have a smartphone, then the Android and iOS implementations Elder Sign: Omens are very good too.

Hmmm. Good point, I never thought about the noise from dice. There are a couple people who work in close proximity to me.... I guess either no dice, OR maybe I could roll them on a mousepad or something to "muffle" the sound.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone! I'll be sure to look into each and every one!

EDIT: How do I go about linking people to a game's description here on the Geek like you guys have in your posts? That is such a convenient feature, but other than being a quick typist my computer skills are somewhat limited.... modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beer Ogre wrote:
EDIT: How do I go about linking people to a game's description here on the Geek like you guys have in your posts? That is such a convenient feature, but other than being a quick typist my computer skills are somewhat limited.... modest

When you're writing your post, use the dropdown box titled Insert Geek Link. Select Board Game from the list, then type the name of the game in the selection box provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Martin
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I'm gonna test that now....

HeroQuest

EDIT: Success! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beer Ogre wrote:
Awesome! I'm gonna test that now....

HeroQuest

EDIT: Success! Thank you!
Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Friday (highly recommend, currently my fav)
- PAX
- Peloponnes (don't get deceived by the huge box. Just bring out the components)
+1 Elder Sign
- Onirim
- Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game (I think this may fit the dimension your described)

If you're okay with print and play games (which require some crafting work; some require you to make custom dice):
- +1 for Zombie in my Pocket
- Airborne in my Pocket
- +1 Zed Deck (I like playing this, quick 15mins time killer)
- Free Trader
- Pocket Civ (may take 2-3 hours)
- Shadows Upon Lassadar
- Aether Captains: Pirates and Traders
- Bibliogamo
- The Dungeon of D
- Dice of the Living Dead(just a piece of paper, a couple of dice, and some markers)

Also check some games from this publisher, Victory Point Games as they make a lot of solo games with minimal components. My fav is Dawn of the Zeds (First edition).

Please let us know what you're getting in the end yeah.
- Damien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Utopia Engine and The d6 Shooters. Both excellent PnP dice games.

Also, +1 for Onirim, Red November, the Dungeon of D and Zed Deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Dungeon of D. One of the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Martin
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
Please let us know what you're getting in the end yeah.
- Damien

Well, I just burned some of those "quiet work hours" I told you guys about by doing some research on the titles you all suggested. Being new to all this gaming stuff I admit that I hadn't even considered the free print and play games initially, but seeing as they got so many recommendations from you all I figured, "Well, maybe "free" doesn't necessarily mean "not fun" after all...."

So, since Damien asked, here is where I plan to start:

I think I will pickup a copy of Space Hulk: Death Angel through my local game store. On the print and play side of things, both Zed Deck and Zombie in my Pocket looked good to me after some research. I couldn't find any video of The Dungeon of D (I like videos to see a game's gameplay first hand) but the theme really agrees with me so I think I'll try it as well (especially since in the worse case all I will be out is the small fee of having it printed on card stock).

So, that will give me four little games to try out, three of which are basically free! (I'll print those bad boys out on the weekend) Thanks for all your help! BGG rocks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Beer Ogre wrote:

Well, I just burned some of those "quiet work hours" I told you guys about by doing some research on the titles you all suggested. Being new to all this gaming stuff I admit that I hadn't even considered the free print and play games initially, but seeing as they got so many recommendations from you all I figured, "Well, maybe "free" doesn't necessarily mean "not fun" after all...."

So, since Damien asked, here is where I plan to start:

I think I will pickup a copy of Space Hulk: Death Angel through my local game store. On the print and play side of things, both Zed Deck and Zombie in my Pocket looked good to me after some research. I couldn't find any video of The Dungeon of D (I like videos to see a game's gameplay first hand) but the theme really agrees with me so I think I'll try it as well (especially since in the worse case all I will be out is the small fee of having it printed on card stock).

So, that will give me four little games to try out, three of which are basically free! (I'll print those bad boys out on the weekend) Thanks for all your help! BGG rocks!

Thanks for the quick update Rob. We totally appreciate in you letting us know your decisions.

As for The Dungeon of D, it's totally worth it. I like in all simplicity, the way you track stuff, guess and find items, determine the type of monsters, everything seems brilliant to me. But I kid you not, the game is challenging (if I remember correctly).

In PnP, just make sure you have enough beads, cubes or whatever to track everything down. Or pen&paper will do!

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.