Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Lords of Waterdeep» Forums » General

Subject: Hot Damn! I got my copy March 13th! - Includes spontaneous report of box opening! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy hell!? What's this at my front step?

So I pre-ordered LoW in late February thanks to MerricB's wonderful sessions reports. The Chapters/Indigo.ca website has a nice pre-order discount on it and with it being released March 20th I was pumped.

So I was some surprised to check my email yesterday to find out it has been shipped (March 12th). I thought for sure it was some kind of mistake.

I got home today from work to find a FedEx delivery notice on the door handle. My copy of Sentinels of the Multiverse:Rook City expansion was on it's way and I'd missed the delivery. Damn! I went up to my computer to check my email and figured I'd check my shipping status on LoW... Lo and behold the CanadaPost website was telling me it was at my door (this is all within the span of about 30mins). So I ran downstairs and there it was hiding behind the recycle bin. I must have walked right past it!

It's now opened... the box is huge... I mean HUGE! This is the weirdest box I have ever seen for a board game. I don't even know how to describe it and I have no camera... It's almost a box within a box so when you take the top off you have four walls (the box walls) inside the bottom of the box. Weird. Four gate board with muted colours and graphics... it's a stinker (in terms of smell) but looks very nice all the same. Thumbs up! Super nice manual... Different kind of feel to it but with lots of appendices definitely very nice! Art work inside will set the mood. Three counter sheets with very nice artwork for the most part... Kind of shame there isn't artwork on the building tiles but not a big deal. In fact further inspection would reveal that you probably wouldn't want art work on these tiles and I do appreciate the clearly laid info... although I do like pictures. D&D is about using your imagination right? Mega super thumbs up on the player boards... Sweet art work and while they aren't thick they aren't cheap either. Lots of nice wooden cubes and player meeples are original and another big thumbs up! They look ready to go on some wild adventures! Regarding art work on Buildings... if that was a concern you will have none when you look at the cards! Absolutely awesome art and while the quality isn't super thick it's not a concern as I don't believe you handle the cards all that much and really, they are average to good quality.

Nice counter tray... just so ya know.

All in all it looks like another great offering in the D&D boargame line. I own Ravenloft and Conquest of Nerath. Production wise it may be there best offering yet... Based on MerricB's reports I think I'm really going to enjoy a worker placement game in this setting.

Cheers! Hope the rest of you get your copies soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sixteen Blue
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been secretly hoping this will happen to me. Glad to see it's at least possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Street date is March 20.

Wizards is pretty strict with those things... They've stopped selling to certain retailers if they violate street dates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some tier of preferred retailers (in terms of amount of purchases, events they put on, etc.) can release some Wizards products earlier than street date. With D&D stuff, I've seen things come out the Tuesday before the general street date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uber12 wrote:
That's great that you got yours already. I got a shipping notice yesterday too, but being out West it might take a bit longer to arrive here. I won't have time to play until the weekend, so as long as it's here by Friday I'll be super happy. I've been telling my 8-year old about it since he's my usual gaming partner and he'll be really pumped if we get it in the next few days since I had told him we likely won't get it until next week.

That's a fine whisky. Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Later in the day...

I just wanted to add that I think this box is going to really peeve some people off. Especially those with more prominent OCD's when it comes to their games.

The inside of the box is formed from two cardboard strips which don't connect. I'm not the most descriptive person but it's a very odd design and the result is two corners which are wrapped around a corner and two corners which have a space as they aren't attached.

Weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axelfudge wrote:
Later in the day...

I just wanted to add that I think this box is going to really peeve some people off. Especially those with more prominent OCD's when it comes to their games.

The inside of the box is formed from two cardboard strips which don't connect. I'm not the most descriptive person but it's a very odd design and the result is two corners which are wrapped around a corner and two corners which have a space as they aren't attached.

Weird.

We need pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sixteen Blue
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I pre-ordered from CoolStuffInc. Does anyone know if they tend to ship on the release date or do they ship so that it arrives on the release date?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two corners are like this...

And two like this...

You can see how the strip is wrapped along the inside of the box. (In an 'L' shape) The box top is exactly the same as the bottom part. The effect is that when you have it all assembled there is some text in between the box bottom and top. I like.

BTW, I'm not someone who is overly concerned about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's designed so that it looks like a book when closed. It looks pretty cool closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that part but because two corners are not closed I've already put the box top on and wedged it in the corner space. Kind of annoying. It's definitely going to show wear and break down over time. It's inevitable.

I'll have to super glue it or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
The box is *very* odd. I'm convinced it's that way so you don't put it on its side (which causes things to fall out of the insert).

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's designed so that you never put the game away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
The box is *very* odd. I'm convinced it's that way so you don't put it on its side (which causes things to fall out of the insert).

Cheers,
Merric

Ahahahah! You know... After we spent 20 mins figuring out how to pack all the wonderful components into their own specific place I'd say you were absolutely correct! I mean as far as inserts go this is top notch design!

We had an absolute blast in our first game. (2 players)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Maybe it's designed so that you never put the game away?

Also correct sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
What I really like about the insert is the way it "hugs" the board. Not sure if it is just my copy or all copies, but the board shouldn't fall out that easily.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine yesterday but it was a review copy not from a store. Played it tonight for the first time, really impressed. Planning on playing tomorrow and Thursday.

I actually think the box is really cool and it's one of the rare games you can sit the box in the lid without an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird seeing March 20 listed as street date, my FLGS (in Finland no less) is listing this as in stock (as of March 14).

No, it's definately not the game I would usually even follow threads on, but the theme keeps pulling at my strings. Dare I go to the Dark Side surprise ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After the grand opening can you comment as to whether your box has the same issue as mine? I've seen some pics where the box does not seem to have the same problem.

I wouldn't want people (and there are some) to avoid buying this game if the issue with my box is an isolated one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uber12 wrote:
Axelfudge wrote:
After the grand opening can you comment as to whether your box has the same issue as mine? I've seen some pics where the box does not seem to have the same problem.

I wouldn't want people (and there are some) to avoid buying this game if the issue with my box is an isolated one.

My box is the same where two of the corners don't connect, but they seem firmly in place and it's a non-issue for me. I had a chance to play with 2 friends last night and we all really enjoyed it. Every move has weight to it and there are few, if any, easy decisions to make. There is almost no downtime, so we were all constantly engaged. Going to bed later, I kept replaying things in my head to think how I could have done better since I came in 3rd place. I'm really looking forward to playing with my son tomorrow to try out a 2-player game.

Thanks Peat. That makes me feel better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri

Manchester
New Hampshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preordered my copy from Amazon, makes me wish I ordered it from an OLGS that breaks street dates!

Can't wait to play it though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hot Damn! I got my copy March 13th! - Includes spontaneous report of box opening
Got mine on Wednesday morning, from Chapters/Indigo also. I thought it was probably just the universe telling me I was so awesome I needed a little bonus. Then I realized I won't have time to play it before it's release date...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
Those people who have it already. Is the box really heavier than a usual box? Because international shipping seems to be a lot for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago S
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you please tell me the shipping weigth and real weight for the box please

Maybe someone can confirm that it is:

Product Dimensions: 11.1 x 3.1 x 14.1 inches
Shipping Weight: 3.6 pounds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago S
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geosan wrote:
Can you please tell me the shipping weigth and real weight for the box please

Maybe someone can confirm that it is:

Product Dimensions: 11.1 x 3.1 x 14.1 inches
Shipping Weight: 3.6 pounds

Ahh UPS Weight: 4.50 lbs

I need it to be less than 4 to save on customs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.