BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Cooperative Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Smith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I work with Mentally Ill kids and a lot of these kids have a hard time working with other people and overall getting along. I was thinking some of them may really enjoy some strategy games, and if they were cooperative games instead of those where they are competing against each other, it may be a good way to teach them about working together.

That being said, what are some of the good, and relatively easy to learn, cooperative games that are out there that I may be able to use with these kids?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think with the group you are getting the game for, the theme would be the most important thing, something they would enjoy. The family version of Flash Point: Fire Rescue should be great for them. It is a theme they would enjoy and the game is challenging while still being petty easy to play. Later you can ramp up the difficulty with the advance rules.

edit: Grammar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What age are they?

Forbidden Island is a good choice, and is simpler than Pandemic.

Also look into Castle Panic maybe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Forbidden Island

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Can be between 7 and 18. Average age 12 to 13.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BirdfluNuggetz wrote:
Syvanis wrote:
Forbidden Island

This.

and Castle Panic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
oeste wrote:
I can't do anything but mirror the two bust suggestions already out there.

+1 Castle Panic
+1 Forbidden Island

Agreed. These two are the best for what you're looking for.

Ghost Stories is also really easy to learn, but if you want them to have any self-esteem when they're finished, I might stay away from this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oeste wrote:

+1 Castle Panic
+1 Forbidden Island

Ditto. Castle Panic is very easy to teach and play. It is easier to mentally realize the incoming danger and how close the end is getting than Forbidden Island. It also feels a little less dependent on other players which could ease tensions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey-Jones
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Yggdrasil, nice easy game to learn just don't expect to win!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not play Shadows Over Camelot, but with no Traitor.

-Munch "it becomes easier, but there is still a challenge" Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought would be that you would want a game with a strong connection between theme and mechanics.

I am certainly biased, but I would put Castle Panic and Flash Point on the top of that list - very strong connection between the actions you can take, the results of those actions and the theme of the game. The other games mentioned in the thread are great games, but much more abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mammut is not a cooperative game, but it's got an original mechanic which should stimulate some social skills. The players divide the spoils from a mammoth hunt. All is dropped in a heap, and the players in turn can take as many items as they wish. The next player may take more items from the heap, OR all of another player's items, leaving one in the heap. So you must not be too greedy, but must take only what you think the others will let you get away with. Check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Big thumbsup for Flash Point: Fire Rescue. I like it better than either Pandemic or Forbidden Island for reasons that may make it a good choice for you. The easier ("Family") version of the game is straightforward—my game group agrees that it's considerably easier to grasp than Pandemic—and doesn't involve the (to me) annoying mechanic of collecting similar cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
oeste wrote:

+1 Castle Panic
+1 Forbidden Island

Agreed. These two are the best for what you're looking for.

Ghost Stories is also really easy to learn, but if you want them to have any self-esteem when they're finished, I might stay away from this one...

Or wait for it until you feel they are ready to lose regularly. It's a blast to play with kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading your OP, I thought of two games:

Castle Panic
Forbidden Island

Out of the two, I would choose Castle Panic because it doesn't use the reshuffle-replace-used-cards-to-the-top-of-the-draw-pile mechanic--which I hate. Plus, it has an expansion and one of the children will be crowned the MASTER SLAYER! ... If you all win together first. Good family fun!

I think Ghost Stories would be difficult for them, based solely on what you've shared in the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.