Warriors of God» Forums » General

Subject: Ideas for shorter scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Bysouth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got this game and am really enjoying it. The only problem I have is that I can see that the length of the game is going to mean that it doesn't get much play in my rather hectic life. Of course, given the time span covered and compared to many other wargames the length is reasonable but it still means I won't be able to play a full game very often. I know that there is a shorter scenario from another conflict that was released in the MMP journal but I'm wondering if anyone has given any thought to creating shorter scenarios in a similar vein to No Retreat: The Russian Front. In that game the entire Eastern Front can be played as a campaign game but individual scenarios break the entire campaign into 'turn limited' short versions covering key moments in the war. Dividing the Hundred Years War into 20 year periods ,for instance, might be one way to go.

In order to make this work you would need to have an 'exemplar' setup for each scenario that would essentially represent an ideal board position that will give both players an equal chance to fulfil their given victory conditions for that scenario. For instance Scenario 2 of the Hundred Years War might start at Turn 4 and the victory condition may be that the English player must achieve a certain number of victory points by the end of Turn 6. The Scenario 2 setup would give the board position for the start of Turn 4 (an 'exemplar' setup) and the victory point requirement would give a challlenge to each player. You could also do this so that scenarios could be strung together over time into a campaign.

So what I'm wondering is has anyone done this or tried to do this. Do people think this is a reasonable idea to get more play from the game? Do any experienced players have any ideas for scenario setups and victory conditions?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Mat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the "Files" section for Variante Royale + 3 scenarios. It has several HYW scenarios, one of which is like a "half game" as you describe. I have not played them, nor the scenario in the Operations Special...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/58/CategoryID/3/Prod...

The magazine includes an abbreviated scenario for play with the base game as well as a shorter scenario using counters included with the magazine:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/81208/warrio...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bysouth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
Check the "Files" section for Variante Royale + 3 scenarios. It has several HYW scenarios, one of which is like a "half game" as you describe. I have not played them, nor the scenario in the Operations Special...

Thanks for this and for other replies. I should have noticed this in the files section so I'll check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.