United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought one of these gizmos:-

http://www.livescribe.com/uk/smartpen/

this last weekend as I'm attending a e-security conference and I thought it'd be a useful tool to help me write up an AAR for work. Initially I was somewhat disappointed as I played back some of the content part way via the pen's loud speaker and all I could really hear was my scratching sound of my own writing, with the speech of the conference speakers only barely audible. Plugging headphones into the pen, however, I get much better differentiation and the speech is completely audible - all indexed by my (barely legible) scrawl in my notebook.

Excellent gadget. Recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, we use this in our office. We have an overseas branch and it's always a challenge to clearly explain desired GUI layouts without using slow and cumbersome design tools. It's so quick and easy to scribble a mockup of a form or webpage while you talk through what things do when you click on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What!? That is nuts.

This sort of thing blows my mind. I think back on the view of the future from the '80's when I was a kid and much of the time it's incredibly unimaginative compared to what we actually ended up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
THE FUTURE IS NOW!!!!

Also, that pen looks like teh business!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and technically it is not all that impressive. Pretty cool, though. I know a few people who have one. The nasty bit is that you have to buy expensive notebooks for it to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Yes, and technically it is not all that impressive. Pretty cool, though. I know a few people who have one. The nasty bit is that you have to buy expensive notebooks for it to work.

I'm guessing we have very different interpretations of "technically impressive".

Let's look at the sum of it:
- It's an audio recorder with 2 GB of memory (I remember when adding 32 kb to the Commodore 64 cost in excess of $1000, even saying something like "Gigabyte" was borderline nonsense)

- It can read where it is on the paper (I'm presuming it uses the same tech as the Leap Frog tech using several thousand square miles of 'mapped' paper)

- It has the processing and memory of a computer that likely trumps several times over the computing power that brought the lander to the moon,

- You can download various programs giving it the ability to translate words you wrote by hand to other languages (seriously, this is the realm of sci-fi dreamers not too long ago)

- It uses a button battery to power it

- It's priced in the consumer range

- It fits in A PEN! And it could probably be even smaller if they didn't intend for people to use it as a pen...

When I was a kid teenager, this was technically inconceivable for many reasons (power consumption, processing power, memory, optical analysis of the paper, etc.). If you were to show this to my grandparents (probably even my parents) when they were children, without exaggeration, this would have looked like magic. Hell, if you showed it to me as a kid, I would have immediately suspected some sort of trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
klarkinhistrep wrote:

Well played!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
kdiddy13 wrote:
What!? That is nuts.

This sort of thing blows my mind. I think back on the view of the future from the '80's when I was a kid and much of the time it's incredibly unimaginative compared to what we actually ended up with.

Maybe to you, but I am still waiting on my jetpack!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1SCu9yiBlo

kdiddy13 wrote:

When I was a kid teenager, this was technically inconceivable for many reasons (power consumption, processing power, memory, optical analysis of the paper, etc.). If you were to show this to my grandparents (probably even my parents) when they were children, without exaggeration, this would have looked like magic. Hell, if you showed it to me as a kid, I would have immediately suspected some sort of trick.

It's also amazing that the tech to send the rocket to the moon is less than what I carry in my pocket these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Logitech came out with the io digital pen back around 2002/2003. It was neat, and around the same price but it didn't offer voice recording and with the high price of the specialty paper it died off.

Then Livescribe came around, and at first we were hesitant to deal with them based on how poorly the io was received but we really liked the matchup with digital recording and saw how it would be handy not only in a lecture setting on campus, but especially for ESL students. While they don't fly off the shelves they are very popular with those who do buy them.

I use one mostly in meetings where I only need to focus on writing down a keyword to jump to a part of the meeting I want to listen to again. It saves me a lot of hassle because I won't miss anything now trying to scribble down important parts. The paper is more expensive than normal paper, but if you use it like I do it goes a very long way. Plus you can print out your own if you need to, but I remember that not being very cost effective although its handy for one-off tasks.

The pen also supports applications. I haven't checked in awhile but there were a few neat ones at the time, more fun than anything. But I love how you can draw a calculator, a piano, or several other items and then those items will actually 'work.' The piano will play when you tap the keys, and calculator will display the results on the pen, etc etc. There's a lot of potential for creative apps.

I only wish it was less bulky.

Edit: pre-coffee grammar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
However much we learn to rely on and use computers, there's still something about jotting something down with a pen and paper that lives within us. That's what makes this pen brilliant. There's something great about drawing a calculator and using it over just typing away on one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.