Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game and had a question.

The rulebook states, "when building, you may only use track tiles available."

So, I assume that at game start that all tiles are in one community pool and you can pick any tile as long as you pay the cost. But as the game progresses, once a tile has been used it is no longer available.

Also, do you normally just put them all in a pile or is there a better way to keep the track tiles organized?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
You got it all right. Although, many (even Martin Wallace, IIRC) feel that exploiting tile limits should not be a part of the game. I think they put that in there just to cover the possibility that a particular tile may run out.

There are myriad ways to address tile organization, and many threads discussing it here. I think most, at the very least, separate the 'simple' (gentle curve/straight) tiles from the others. I do that, and keep the simple tiles in a paper cereal bowl, and made a shallow tray out of foamboard to make it easy to paw through the other tiles. You could simply use the box lid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, if a tile is replaced (e.g. a 1-exit town to a three-exit town) that tile is now available. I think it's more that if what you want isn't in the pile don't go digging through the already played tiles to see it on the back. Which is almost superfluous, as the tiles are paired in patterns. If it isn't available, there'd be no tile to swap into the board.

I usually end up with a pile of the straight/curve tiles, and then stacks of the others. We've been playing with an owner that uses a Plano-style box so they're already separated by 'simple' vs. 'complex'. Stacking the complex is fairly easy at that point. In the least by exit counts (1, 2, 3, 4, 5), or by exact tile. Usually I have time during rules instruction or when others are thinking. cool

Speeds things up a lot. When a complex one is needed I can check the top one of each stack by exit count to find it pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info! I was reading the rules and then proceeded to organize the bits and that's when I discovered the immense amount of track tiles.

Then I became really upset when I opened Steam Barons and discovered the stock market board doesn't fit in the core box!arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
Robman wrote:
Thanks for the info! I was reading the rules and then proceeded to organize the bits and that's when I discovered the immense amount of track tiles.

Then I became really upset when I opened Steam Barons and discovered the stock market board doesn't fit in the core box!arrrh

Yep, that's old fashioned highway (er, railway) robbery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
Robman wrote:

I own an x-acto knife and a steel ruler, so mine fits in the base game box just fine. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bilben04 wrote:
I own an x-acto knife and a steel ruler, so mine fits in the base game box just fine. whistle

I own a Bowie Knife and steel ruler... looks like I have a little project today. Bwahahahahaha devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I uploaded a file that you can print on 8.5x11 paper to replace that board. I think I made some improvements. At least, I added some info -- it's certainly not pretty!

Edit: LINK TO FILE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.