Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dear experts,

Do you know of any decent games that simulate or recreate some of the feel of Western U.S. expansion around the Homestead Act? I'm not talking about the light-hearted "Homesteaders," but something that captures the insane land grabbing that tamed the west? It doesn't even have to be that specific, but finding a Western theme game that isn't a cowboy combat simulation or a rail game seems to be challenging.

It is a really interesting period in history, but perhaps not one that is a candidate for a good game.It's also likely that I'm overlooking some gems.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Homesteaders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh E.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Perhaps Carson City?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oregon?

And try browsing (probably by rank) through: American West.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Oregon is good, but more a euro and less a simulation.

That said, it's a very good game, with a new take on worker placement. I just finished a turn a moment ago in an online game of it I'm playing at Yucata. Glad I own this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
jtabler wrote:
I'm not talking about the light-hearted "Homesteaders,"

Never Knows Best wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

The Cattlemen

Never played it, but the game looked interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really simulations, but Bison: Thunder on the Prairie or Walnut Grove come to mind. Both are more worker placement, although with Native Americans and farmers than cowboys.

Dice Town is also just a good, fun, Western themed game with some land grabbing insanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Oregon

Further Go West! comes to my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arglez wrote:
Perhaps Carson City?

unless everyone plays friendly, a major portion of this game is cowboys dueling it out. A great game, but probably not what the OP is looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the replies. Unfortunately, these don't really fit what I am looking for in a game. I guess they are a bit too light. I have browsed the American West section, but wading through pasted-on themed economic engines, cowboy games, and rail games doesn't reveal much.

I do have Homesteaders, and it is a good romp. However, it is definitely not the type of game I am trying to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Asmor wrote:
jtabler wrote:

Never Knows Best wrote:

I was trying to point out the contridiction (I want a game exactly like Hometsteaders that isn't Homesteaders. And a more serious western but one that doesn't involve cowboys and shooting). Also, I don't know if Homesteaders could be considered "light."

Personally, I'd lose the theme. It's very difficult to find the exact type of game play/mechanic for the exact theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
Madness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I don't understand the premise of this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Wong
Canada
Stouffville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers of America: Trails to Rails
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
Asmor wrote:
jtabler wrote:

Never Knows Best wrote:

I was trying to point out the contridiction (I want a game exactly like Hometsteaders that isn't Homesteaders. And a more serious western but one that doesn't involve cowboys and shooting). Also, I don't know if Homesteaders could be considered "light."

Personally, I'd lose the theme. It's very difficult to find the exact type of game play/mechanic for the exact theme.

Homesteaders is a light Euro. I said I was looking for a simulation type of game reflecting the time period. Homesteaders could take place in outer space with different names on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:
I feel like I don't understand the premise of this thread.

I am looking for a game that doesn't exist. With billions of games tackling every front known to man from the past 100 years, I thought there would be something that simulates the political and personal fervor and corporate fraud surrounding the Homestead Act. Lords of the Sierra Madre (second edition) seems to be the closest game I could find. Having gone through the database, there really aren't that many games covering Western Expansion in comparison to other genres. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go West!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oregon Trail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:

Thank you for the reply, but I have looked through the entire Western database into the 4+ plus ratings based on the suggestion above. The game doesn't exist. Go West definitely fits the genre, but it's not really deep or heavy. I should have been clearer in my initial request.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason's Good Twin
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
mcpranno wrote:
I really looked into this one as well. It seems like a mashup of sorts between this and Lords of the Sierra Madre (second edition) would be what I'm looking for I guess. This one gets the time period spot on and is based in reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.