Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Anybody know what this game is ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Pletsch
msg tools
Got this the other day thinking it was chinese checkers with a few marbles missing from some colors, because there are two sets of 7, two sets of 8, and two sets of 10 marbles, but upon setting it up, realized the board doesn't have enough holes to be chinese checkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Somewhere
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be a variation of Chinese Checkers, with each player starting with 9 marbles in a diamond pattern. Is the board made of marble? Any indication where it was made?

Edit: Chinese Checkers has two players starting with 15 marbles each; or, 10 marbles each when there are more than 2 players.

If your game pieces are complete, then 2 players would start with 10 marbles each. 3 or 4 players would start with 8 marbles each. And, 5 or 6 players would start with 7 marbles each (perhaps in a hexagon pattern for the 7 marbles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or some type of solitaire game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Aye, I think it is Peg Solitaire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pletsch
msg tools
It is marble, no writing on it at all. Hmm, be an unusual peg solitaire, but very well could be, it has 6 different colored sets of marbles, which is why i assumed chinese checkers, but it's a row short on each side of the star.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Somewhere
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the label just for the price? Was it one-of-kind where you bought it?

It definitely isn't a DIY project. It required precision machinery to cut and polish the marble, and to create the indentations for the marbles perfectly. And no instructions with the game -- because the rules are already known? This game had to be made on a production line, perhaps by the hundreds.

Take a look at this pdf file:
http://clear.unt.edu/Content/NGEN_Course_Redesign/reports/qe...

And this board that is 73-hole Chinese Checkers (which is what you have):
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Chinese-Checkers-Magnetic-Fold...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pletsch
msg tools
thank you for the links, I had only seen the larger boards before with 6 sets of 10 marbles, I see now that the linked to board does match what I have. I bought this at a local yard sale for $1.00, didn't look closely enough to realize it was a smaller board until I got home. I guess the other colored marbles are for 2 and 3 player variations then, surprised there are still 6 colors of marbles then, unless they may not be the original marbles.

I think your earlier post about the number of marbles for number of players may just be what it is for then, interesting, not what I had expected, but still pretty cool for $1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Somewhere
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Junker wrote:
I think your earlier post about the number of marbles for number of players may just be what it is for then, interesting, not what I had expected, but still pretty cool for $1

Yup, pretty cool to get a marble game board for a $1. And now we know about some variations for Chinese Checkers (which is neither Chinese, nor Checkers). There are also other variations on amazon.com, which I hadn't seen before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the Q-Bert/Escher variant to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.