Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: best simultaneous turn-based combat (+ play by email) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
randy milton
msg tools
Hey guys. Doing some more game research, this time looking for a wargame or war-management hybrid (hex/grid-based, or area control -- both are good), where players make their unit movements at the same time.

(Ideally, I'm looking at something that plays well by email. Preferably, long turns that would transpire once or twice per day, allowing the game to be finished in a week or two. This isn't essential for me... but I thought I'd ask, just in case it jogs any specific recommendations.)

According to my limited research so far, a few titles have come up:

SHOGUN/WALLENSTEIN: Both recommended to me in my search for a simple but fun area controlled wargame. This seems to be one of the most popular choices. (Edit: Not really ideal for PBEM, which is why I started this thread.)

NEXUS OPS: Also highly recommended to me. Slightly different map style, with a dynamic arrangement of giant hexes.

WAR OF THE ROSES- LANCASTER VS YORK: Found this one on my own. Seems similar to Shogun in some ways. Very simple and reasonably good reviews.

FIELD COMMAND: Also found this one on my own. Somewhat more complex, with additional rules for terrain and artillery and other unit types. But kind of icy reviews in some circles. Probably won't try it.

I looked for some geeklists on the topic, but the lists seemed cluttered, or out of date.

Or maybe there just aren't a lot of good simultaneous turn-based combat games

Recommendations appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Diplomacy & Colonial Diplomacy whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogun/Wallenstein seems *very* bad for PBEM ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a great online Diplomacy site: www.playdiplomacy.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
randy milton
msg tools
Diplomacy! Should have remembered. But after 50 years, you would think they could come up with something better?

I should have mentioned -- I found / heard about Shogun, but yes, it's less than ideal for PBEM.

Hoping there's some other game out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for diplomacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simul-move is my FAVORITE game mechanic so I've got a list. I don't know if these would work as PBEM but having a quick look at their respective pages should give you a good understanding of them.

1) Power - Highly underrated game, IMO. Abstract but the tension born out of the timed and limited number of commands is palpable.

2) A Game of Thrones (first edition) - This doesn't scratch the same itch for me as Diplomacy (you should give Diplomacy a try on the Powell Map which REALLY fixes some of the problems that are present on the original map)

3) Quebec 1759 - 2-player only but the fog-of-war and simultaneous movement of the blocks makes for a really dynamic meta-game that isn't found in many block games as they generally employ the 'I-go-u-go' movement.

4) Canvas Eagles - I'm really not sure if this could be played by email but this is a stunning game and the reprint looks to actually include minis and take this game from a PnP game to a full-on produced package. However, I think that if you're willing to put some time into a good PnP design (Hotz Mats, Wings of War minis with telescopic flight stands - the whole thing is less than $80 and SO worth the time and money. This game is wonderful!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
randy milton
msg tools
lindelos wrote:
Simul-move is my FAVORITE game mechanic so I've got a list. I don't know if these would work as PBEM but having a quick look at their respective pages should give you a good understanding of them.

1) Power - Highly underrated game, IMO. Abstract but the tension born out of the timed and limited number of commands is palpable.

2) A Game of Thrones (first edition) - This doesn't scratch the same itch for me as Diplomacy (you should give Diplomacy a try on the Powell Map which REALLY fixes some of the problems that are present on the original map)

3) Quebec 1759 - 2-player only but the fog-of-war and simultaneous movement of the blocks makes for a really dynamic meta-game that isn't found in many block games as they generally employ the 'I-go-u-go' movement.

4) Canvas Eagles - I'm really not sure if this could be played by email but this is a stunning game and the reprint looks to actually include minis and take this game from a PnP game to a full-on produced package. However, I think that if you're willing to put some time into a good PnP design (Hotz Mats, Wings of War minis with telescopic flight stands - the whole thing is less than $80 and SO worth the time and money. This game is wonderful!)

These all look pretty interesting! I think Canvas Eagles might be too complicated for my liking, although maybe that's just because I'm more interested in ground battles than air battles.

"Quebec" and "Power" both look simple enough. But neither of them have as good reviews as "Game of Thrones". Why do you think that is? Is it that Game of Thrones has more fanboys, is it that the theme of the game really comes shining through, or does it have genuinely superior gameplay? Also, why is the second edition so much better reviewed than the first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
War of 1812 by Columbia Games is another game where simultaneous movement makes for an excellent game experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
randy milton
msg tools
Thanks for the recommendation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.