Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ok... so if I want to see which games have had the most plays and have the most unique users playing them... I can go here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/bygame/subtype/boardgame/...

Is it just on my computer or does it take literally minutes to get that page to come up. I have to refresh it 2 or 3 times usually to get it to display the # of games played and the # of unique users. Same situation when you click to page 2,3,4,5 etc.

Why does this part of BGG take so long to display? Are these stats kept on an extremely slow server or are these stats themselves extremely server intensive to display for some reason? It's been like this for as long as I can remember so I don't know if everyone has the same problems I do but I'm just curious what the story is about that aspect of the database on the site. This area has definitely been in severe need of upgrading for MANY years and nothing has been done about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
Loaded instantly for me ::shrugs::

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shivstroll wrote:
Loaded instantly for me ::shrugs::

Can you switch between those pages quickly as well? Try going from page 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 etc. Honestly I'd like to track down why it's so slow for me as it's always been that way for me on my comp no matter what browser I use. I just never really complained because I thought it must have been something to do with server loads or something but eventually it has to improve so I thought I'd ask others what their experience is with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Switching between these pages is quite fast for me. I don't observe any lag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Can people try these pages as well...

http://boardgamegeek.com/plays/bygame/subtype/boardgame/page...

Those pages are sorted by number of plays whereas the first set above was sorted by number of unique users.

Does it switch quickly between pages 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 etc?

I'm trying to track down why on my end things take so long. All other pages on BGG load fairly quickly for me but not these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Less than a second in both cases for me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Interesting. Maybe certain IP addresses are limited for these pages or something? I can't see any other reasons why these pages would be so slow for me and not other pages here on BGG.

So basically everyone here can switch between all those pages in mere seconds and it takes me literally minutes to go from page to page... having to refresh every time because the pages time out the first few times to each page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it a caching issue? If you're the first person in a day to look at them, which being on the other side of the world you might be, then it takes ages - whereas once they've been looked at they've been cached, so are a lot quicker?

The link you gave is instant for me right now, but when I use those pages to do my Top 50 played games geeklist, it can often take them about a minute to load. For anyone else testing it, just change the date range and then do the query, and you'll see what Darren is talking about - I just timed it, and it took about 55 seconds to load the page. I'm guessing that's just because of the amount of data it has to perform the query on though, and so there's no way of speeding it up - as fast as you update the speed of the server, the database grows as more plays are added!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sa266 wrote:
Is it a caching issue? If you're the first person in a day to look at them, which being on the other side of the world you might be, then it takes ages - whereas once they've been looked at they've been cached, so are a lot quicker?

The link you gave is instant for me right now, but when I use those pages to do my Top 50 played games geeklist, it can often take them about a minute to load. For anyone else testing it, just change the date range and then do the query, and you'll see what Darren is talking about - I just timed it, and it took about 55 seconds to load the page. I'm guessing that's just because of the amount of data it has to perform the query on though, and so there's no way of speeding it up - as fast as you update the speed of the server, the database grows as more plays are added!

Well that might partly explain it as whenever I go to a new page it's always extremely slow... every single page always takes several minutes to load while having to refresh the page at least two or three times because it times out before it can even load. It can literally sometimes take 5+ minutes to finally get the pages to load. Once the page finally does load then yes you can go back and it loads again instantly... until another day when it's the same situation all over again. I assume it must be some sort of caching issue but saying that it takes me several minutes and it takes you 55 seconds so there is more to it I assume.

I have relatively average broadband speed so some may be due to that but I whiz around other pages fairly quickly here on BGG... just these are extremely slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm just speculating but BGG might have some sort of a restriction setting on some IP addresses when it looks like they are taking too much server time... so maybe to the servers it looks like some sort of attack which is why it takes so long for the pages to load for me when I try to load several of those pages one after the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
It's a slow query that doesn't appear to be cached well, Since there are millions of plays recorded - it takes the database an inordinate amount of time to calculate the data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for the explanation. Are there plans to upgrade that part of the database to make it quicker to use... maybe have a snapshot each day instead of having it dynamically updated? I assume that would make it more like the rankings/ratings/owners etc then which seem to load much faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Aldie wrote:
It's a slow query that doesn't appear to be cached well, Since there are millions of plays recorded - it takes the database an inordinate amount of time to calculate the data.

Aldie, when I'm waiting for those pages to load (minutes) it also doesn't allow loading of other BGG pages that I'm trying to load at the same time (forums etc). It seems like some sort of server limit is put on a user preventing other pages from loading while those slow pages are loaded. Is that by design... or is that some sort of issue you aren't aware of? I just thought I'd point that out if it's some sort of issue that needs to be resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
nexttothemoon wrote:
Aldie wrote:

Aldie, when I'm waiting for those pages to load (minutes) it also doesn't allow loading of other BGG pages that I'm trying to load at the same time (forums etc). It seems like some sort of server limit is put on a user preventing other pages from loading while those slow pages are loaded. Is that by design... or is that some sort of issue you aren't aware of? I just thought I'd point that out if it's some sort of issue that needs to be resolved.

It probably needs to be resolved quickly - thanks for pointing this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I see this feature has been "temporarily disabled" now. Is it being worked on to make it faster? Any timeframe when it will be available again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Any updates on when these pages will be restored? "Temporarily disabled" has been up there for 2 months now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Any hope of ever getting these working again? It's been well over 5 months and these still haven't been brought back to life.

I know everyone is hopelessly devoted to and concentrating on the new site design but these play stats are really useful and are a fundamental part of the database. Hopefully we see them back again soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Haven't had a chance to look at improving it yet. We'll get around to it eventually...sorry for the delay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Another 2 months have rolled by. Is this actually even on the list of things to possibly think about maybe looking at someday?

Temporarily disabled has been up there since March '12... that's almost as long as the seemingly endless Presidential campaigns, but even that came to an end eventually.

I know there's quite a few users on BGG who found these stats really useful so hopefully they can be brought back before too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Is there anything users can collectively do here on BGG to bring these play stats back to life again? Perhaps some type of community computing grid system where our collective spare computer cycles can be harnessed to relieve some burden off of the overtaxed BGG servers?

There must be some way to get this all up and going again with the vast number of intelligent folks here who have knowledge of databases and all the computing power at our collective fingertips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.