Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant is untested but it is an idea I have to provide more choices in the game.

1) get rid of the events or see item 3.

2) organize all the students into stacks organized by cost. I haven't studied the costs of each card yet but I believe the costs range from 1 or 2 up to 6 or 7. Shuffle each stack separately. So you'll have about 6 stacks of students. Put them face down. Split them into two stacks per cost. Flip the top one of each faceup. Now you should have about 12 cards to buy from. During the restock at the start of each turn you should flip face up a card from a stack that was bought. If nothing was bought then the current player chooses a top card that gets discarded so the cards still cycle without a purchase.

3) you could put a random event at the bottom of each stack or something if you still want to see them. but they probably aren't necessary.

4) Do the same to the faculty cards as you did to the students.

This might provide TOO many choices. And there might not be enough high cost cards, so adjust this as you see fit. But I think each cost should have it's own stack at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of this too. It would certainly be an interesting experiment in the least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
This almost turns into an ascension problem of how do we make sure there are monsters to kill in the center row. With that the problem is how do I compete if I go any strategy but Power. I think this has the problem of making choices too easy,

"I can see there are costs 1-6 in students available and 1-6 in faculty available." Now if I have either 5 friendship 2 Nightmare or 4 and 3, the choice between the two is minimal. Whereas in the out of the box rules, the 5 and 2 gets you a potentially great student, but if there's no faculty under 3 then you give your opponent a sub. Meanwhile a 4-3 hand may get you a slightly smaller student and a decent faculty. So at that point you choose, do I make my deck better by a larger magnitude, or do I take a smaller jump in my power to attack my opponent more effectively. This also leads to even more when you consider that in the case of the main game, you can affect, albeit slightly, what your opponent buys, with the 6 supply variant, you can't really affect your opponents as much.

These are all opinions and theory crafting from someone who's eagerly awaiting his copy, but seem to be things to think about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.