Germany
flag msg tools
Because Ameritrash drips with theme...
badge
Yep, that's my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not sure if I understand correctly from reading the rules how battles in a space with multiple forces work in Rex.
If there are forces of more than two different factions in the same space, the player whose turn it is decides which enemy force he attacks first?
And he has to attack all enemy forces in this space, one after the other, before the next player continues with his battles step?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redsimon wrote:
And he has to attack all enemy forces in this space, one after the other, before the next player continues with his battles step?

Provided he survives the first assault, that is.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought battles between multiple forces in the same space had to be resolved in turn order...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought battles between multiple forces in the same space had to be resolved in turn order...?

Sort of. In turn order, players resolve their battles, but when it's a player's turn to resolve his/her battles, he may choose in which order he does battle.

So let's imagine the turn order is as follows:

Letnev
Sol
Jol-Nar
Xxxcha
Hacan
Lazax

In one region is Sol, Jol-Nar, Hacan, and Lazax. Busy region. We'll pretend for this example that this is the only region with more than one player's units. Sol is first in turn order, so he does his battles first. He decides which opponent he battles first. He decides to fight Hacan first. He wins the battle and still has units left, so now he decides to battle Jol-Nar, but he loses. Now only Jol-Nar and Lazax are left in the region. Jol-Nar's turn is next, so he decides who to battle. His only option is Lazax, so he does battle with Lazax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This did not happened in the only game I played so far, since two alliances were immediately formed and there was never a multiple combat. However, I wonder: doesn't this make things terribly hard for the first player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Sort of. In turn order, players resolve their battles, but when it's a player's turn to resolve his/her battles, he may choose in which order he does battle.

Letnev
Sol
Jol-Nar
Xxxcha
Hacan
Lazax

In one region is Sol, Jol-Nar, Hacan, and Lazax. Busy region. We'll pretend for this example that this is the only region with more than one player's units. Sol is first in turn order, so he does his battles first. He decides which opponent he battles first. He decides to fight Hacan first. He wins the battle and still has units left, so now he decides to battle Jol-Nar, but he loses. Now only Jol-Nar and Lazax are left in the region. Jol-Nar's turn is next, so he decides who to battle. His only option is Lazax, so he does battle with Lazax.

So what's the first paragraph of page 17 all about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Dolus wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

Letnev
Sol
Jol-Nar
Xxxcha
Hacan
Lazax

Page 17 wrote:
Resolving Battles
When two players have units in the same space during the Battle Phase, a battle must be resolved. In the case in which more than two players' units occupy the same space, multiple two player battles are resolved in the area, one at a time as determined by the order of play (see "Phase 5: Battle" on page 12).

So I see what you mean. It sounds like it's a strict order. But let's look at page 12.

Page 12 wrote:
Phase 5: Battle
During this phase, battles occur between enemy units who occupy the same space. Exception: Players cannot battle in the Galactic Council.
Starting with the first player and proceeding in the order of play, each player must resolve all of his battles (in the order of his choice). When enemy units no longer occupy the same space as his units, the next player in order of play resolves all of his battles.

I've italicized the critical part. The first player resolves all of his battles in the order of his choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Dolus wrote:
[q="bleached_lizard"]Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought battles between multiple forces in the same space had to be resolved in turn order...?

Letnev
Sol
Jol-Nar
Xxxcha
Hacan
Lazax

Page 17 wrote:
Resolving Battles
When two players have units in the same space during the Battle Phase, a battle must be resolved. In the case in which more than two players' units occupy the same space, multiple two player battles are resolved in the area, one at a time as determined by the order of play (see "Phase 5: Battle" on page 12).

So I see what you mean. It sounds like it's a strict order. But let's look at page 12.

Page 12]Phase 5: Battle
During this phase, battles occur between enemy units who occupy the same space. Exception: Players cannot battle in the Galactic Council.
Starting with the first player and proceeding in the order of play, each player must resolve all of his battles (in the order of his choice). When enemy units no longer occupy the same space as his units, the next player in order of play resolves all of his battles.[/q wrote:

I've italicized the critical part. The first player resolves all of his battles in the order of his choice.

That must be referring to battles taking place in different locations (i.e, the player chooses order of locations). The passage on page 17 clarifies what happens in the case of multiple occupancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am personally inclined to favor the page 12 wording, where the first player resolves all his battles, then it goes to the next player, and so on. I think that the page 17 wording was just a summary that ended up being worded a little incorrectly.

The note of page 17 to look back at page 12, plus the bolded "resolve all of his battles" on page 12, leads me to this position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fired the question off to FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not convinced the page 17 means that the current player has no choice; in fact, I'm 99% sure the current player gets to choose. When it says battles are resolved in the order of play, I think that's just emphasizing that the "current player" that makes the choice is based on order of play. IE, the quote on page 17 doesn't say the current player must battle the next player in the turn order, but just that the battles are determined in turn order, which I take to mean the rule for multiple battles takes effect. Nothing on the page 12 quotes says or even hints that that rule was only meant to apply to multiple spaces.

To me, 3+ players in the same place would represent one player having multiple potential battles against all the other players in the space, and thus the current player (again, determined by play order) chooses, per page 12, which battle to resolve first (which, if he loses, would cause the rest of the battles to be void).

I could be wrong, but like I said, I'm 99% certain that's the way it was meant to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Because Ameritrash drips with theme...
badge
Yep, that's my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that my question has become more interesting than it seemed to be at the beginning, you could all give the thread some thumbs up.

EDIT:
Btw I agree with sigmazero13, I think the mentioning of turn order just refers to the fact that the first player begins with his battles step and not that turn order determines the order of his battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I'm not convinced the page 17 means that the current player has no choice; in fact, I'm 99% sure the current player gets to choose. When it says battles are resolved in the order of play, I think that's just emphasizing that the "current player" that makes the choice is based on order of play. IE, the quote on page 17 doesn't say the current player must battle the next player in the turn order, but just that the battles are determined in turn order, which I take to mean the rule for multiple battles takes effect. Nothing on the page 12 quotes says or even hints that that rule was only meant to apply to multiple spaces.

To me, 3+ players in the same place would represent one player having multiple potential battles against all the other players in the space, and thus the current player (again, determined by play order) chooses, per page 12, which battle to resolve first (which, if he loses, would cause the rest of the battles to be void).

I could be wrong, but like I said, I'm 99% certain that's the way it was meant to work.

Agreed; it seems particularly unequivocal given the way given the way page 17's wording echoes that of page 12.

"Multiple two player battles are resolved in the area, one at a time as determined by the order of play (see "Phase 5: Battle" on page 12)" seems like an invitation to just continue reading the page 12 rule from "proceeding in the order of play," and, as you say, there doesn't seem to be any reason to think that you shouldn't do that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pippo franco
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
so has ffg answered? that was my biggest question on game, still unresolved. Chris did they answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.