Jason Moslander
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Post from www.gameswithtwo.com

As you search for the Holy Grail and recruit knights to join you in your search, you come across a Black Knight who will not let you pass. He insists that you fight him. So, now you find yourself in a battle to the death against a knight who will not give up. You cut off both of his legs and both of his arms and he still wants to fight you. The battle is to the death, and he is going to die fighting you because it's just a flesh wound.

Flash Duel has this sort of Monty Pythonesque feel. You find yourself on a bridge against your opponent(s) and must fight them. You fight your opponent by moving forward and backward, and waiting for the right time to attack. Each player has a hand of five cards and can use these to move, push, attack, retreat, block, or dash strike. The first player to attack or dash strike their opponent that their opponent is unable to block or retreat from(you can only retreat on a dashing strike) wins the round. The players then reset and fight again. The winner is the player who can win three out of five matches. This is just one of the many modes that Flash Duel offers. There are character cards that allow players to use special abilities, and you can mix and match character cards to create your own characters. You can have a two versus two battle, solo battle, or a fight against a dragon that can include a traitor element. All of these modes allow for a very diverse game. The basic rules are the same, but how you use them, and how you approach your opponent changes based on the mode that you are playing in and what character your opponent is using. There are also twenty different characters and the boss dragon, so that gives you even more to explore as you play Flash Duel.

Flash Duel (set in the Fantasy Strike Universe) brings lots of variety to the gaming table. Since there are so many characters and so many modes, you can play through a bunch of different scenarios, however, to me they all felt very much the same. In the end, you are doing the same thing in every battle. The game is also very simplistic. I know that it is designed to be a quick battle that is over in 5-10 minutes, but I always felt like there was a little something missing. I wanted there to be a little more strategy, especially when it came to defending against an attack. Sometimes, you knew you were going to lose and there was nothing you could do about it. Therefore, I don't think Flash Duel is for us and I believe it is the weakest of the Sirlin Games. My last negative is the price: at $35, I think it's a little high for what you get. The gameplay is not very deep or long, and the game only comes with about 70 cards, five pawns, & a small board. I think this game would be great at the $15-$25 price range, but it's current price seems a little high to me. There is a print and play version available, and you can get it at a cheaper price if you buy the bundle pack with Yomi and Puzzle Strike. That being said, here are some reasons why you might like this game, and want to pick it up.

Although it was not for us, there are lots of people and situations that this game can appeal to. If you are looking for a quick fighting game, Flash Duel is for you. If you are wanting a portable game, then Flash Duel is a great choice. This is a major plus as the complete game comes in a small box, and you can make it even smaller by just bringing the deck of cards along with you. This game is small enough to play on an airplane tray or small counter top, and this is a big plus for this game.

This also a great game for parents to play with their kids or kids to play with their friends. The number system of the cards can really help with counting and adding and subtracting skills, therefore, you have somewhat of a learning game here. Finally, Flash Duel Second Edition gives a sneak peak at possible expansions for Puzzle Strike and Yomi. There are 10 new characters in Second Edition and it appears that these may be eventual additions to said games. Some of the characters look really cool, and I can't wait to see them in these other games as well. If you are looking for a quick fighting game or to get your fix in a tight space, you may want to check out Flash Duel by Sirlin Games.

Check out more at www.gameswithtwo.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.