Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the first Chit-Pull wargame? I don't mean, "What was the first game in which you pulled chits from a cup?", but rather, "What was the first game in which units were activated by pulling chits from a cup?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I'm going to guess it was Victory Games' Panzer Command from 1984, but I'm sure someone will correct me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Did Berg invent it? He uses it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,
Great question! I love tracing design history. Craig Taylor used this mechanism in Close Assault (1983), a year earlier than Panzer Command. Many later games use this mechanism, but I can't think of any earlier ones.

Anybody know any pre-1983 games that use the chit-pull mechanism?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Got another--Magic Realm (1979). Characters each have an attention chit. All chits are mixed randomly and drawn to see which character moves first that turn.

This may be more a random movement mechanism, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
If you go to the Chit-Pull System mechanic page, and sort its linked items by Year Published, the oldest wargame with this mechanic seems to be Star Raider from 1975. I can't confirm that it is the type of chit-pulling you're looking for though. It says, "When a new system is explored, a card is drawn to determine its value." I don't know if there's any other chit-pulling in the game.

If this isn't right, cycling back through the games in chronological order, should still help you find the wargame you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most certainly French Foreign Legion (1982) used a chit pulling system to determine when a squad, tribe, or leaders moved/attacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

And French Foreign Legion was designed by Larry Brom, Vernon Jay Stribling and E. R. Teuber.

Brom also designed The Sword and the Flame (1979), which uses a card draw system for the same effect. Using a regular deck of playing cards, red = player A's unactivated unit, black = player B's unactivated unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
For the purposes of command activation, an early contender game being developed at SPI and published by TSR with Richard Berg and Eric Lee Smith the developer and "creator" of that game's chit pull system was A Gleam of Bayonets: The Battle of Antietam

Published date - 1983.

It was the first Chit Pull game I ever played.

The second was an ELS design already mentioned above -
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
SPI's Outreach: The Conquest of the Galaxy, 3000AD (1976) used chit-pull for determining the resource value of explored hexes.

The first time I saw it for command/activation was A Gleam of Bayonets: The Battle of Antietam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
John Hill's Battle for Stalingrad is arguably the granddaddy of the modern chit pullers.

If we're talking about the mechanism of drawing chits from a hidden pool, to assign values or outcomes, then Outreach has it beat by four years.

And I wouldn't be surprised if something beat Outreach (but not by much).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
No, they didn't. It does not fall into the category discussed here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC Forward to Richmond! had unit activation based on chit pulls back in 1980

Strangely enough it's not listed as one of the mechanics of that game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.