Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own C&C Ancients base game but in a regretable moment I decided to sell my copy of the Greece expansion (never hit the table so decided to sell it for getting other games).

Now I realize there is a Spartan expansion which sounds terrific to me. So here are some questions before hitting click on the buy now option:

1. Can I play the included scenarios using the board and cards from my base game? So meaning, is this expansion includes two armies (persians and spartans) or just one?
2. If it's just one army, is it compatible with the base game? So can I throw in Spartans vs. Romans? Or Spartans vs. Carthaginians?

Don't be so cruel with my anti-historical question, it's just a gameplay perspective question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrescan wrote:
I own C&C Ancients base game but in a regretable moment I decided to sell my copy of the Greece expansion (never hit the table so decided to sell it for getting other games).

Now I realize there is a Spartan expansion which sounds terrific to me. So here are some questions before hitting click on the buy now option:

1. Can I play the included scenarios using the board and cards from my base game? So meaning, is this expansion includes two armies (persians and spartans) or just one?
2. If it's just one army, is it compatible with the base game? So can I throw in Spartans vs. Romans? Or Spartans vs. Carthaginians?

Don't be so cruel with my anti-historical question, it's just a gameplay perspective question.

1. This only includes a full army and a couple addons for the expansion you sold.
2. All of the included scenarios are for the new army + blue Greek or Persian. I suppose you could "fake" it by filling in Romans/Carthaginians where the blue/tan blocks would be. But then again, you can do that with lots of battles anyways.

Edit: There are also a few Blue army battles vs. Brown/Gray blocks that you could fill in Orange(Spartan) over the blues. Just a thought if you really wanna try, but you limit yourself that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest problem he may run into is the troops that make up the army. Blue Greeks and eastern both have a lot more archers than gray Romans or Carthage. Neither brown nor gray has horse archers. You may be able to compensate archers with slingers (same ability) but zero horse archers is a problem harder to solve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either way, it's much easier to do it with the right blocks. I'd say skip the expansion unless you plan to own expansion 1 again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
for me owning the exp#1 is essential to play with the Exp#6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, sounds reasonable to pass at least for the moment. If the expansion 1 becomes easily available again I should consider buying it again shake My mistake, if only I'd knew about Spartans...

GMT should reprint it and not wait until P500 fills, otherwise the Spartans expansion is useless for many of us(it's like publishing more and more expansions and not the base game). Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrescan wrote:

GMT should reprint it and not wait until P500 fills, otherwise the Spartans expansion is useless for many of us(it's like publishing more and more expansions and not the base game). Just a thought.

Well, whether they should or not is business decision. As GMT is a small company, ordering a few thousand copies of a game has to be a major outlay for them - and if the game doesn't sell, it could get them into trouble, or at the very least stop them producing one or more other titles.

CCA is a popular series, but for whatever reason, the P500 reprints are moving very slowly. I guess most people who want copies picked them up first time around.

This is a frustrating situation, I know (I was there until recently; in love with the game system, and unable to get the expansions I wanted). I do hope they get a surge of orders soon, so everyone who wants a copy can have one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Smith
Canada
Parrsboro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
boom, boom, ramming speed, boom boom, boom, ludicrous speed, boom boom...
mbmbmbmbmb
I too need copies of Exp 1 for a tournament I am planning. One could divide a given/needed unit type into its X separate "identifying" parts. Then just add dummy pieces (of any color) to represent the hits. Keep the unit "identifier" block upright and the dummy hit pieces face down (if need be could use beads, cubes from a euro game etc ). Id block is last to go...Exp 1 seems to be rare with online sellers, but does pop up now and then on eBay at a reasonable price. There is one now that I plan to bid on tomorrow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallagher
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you need Expansion 1 for all further expansions?
Do you need all previous expansions to play any particular expansion (Need 1-5 to play 6)?
Mike G

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CDR G wrote:
Do you need Expansion 1 for all further expansions?
Do you need all previous expansions to play any particular expansion (Need 1-5 to play 6)?
Mike G

To play...
- expansion 1 or 2, you just need the base game;
- expansion 3, you need expansion 2;
- expansion 4, you need 2-3;
- expansion 5, you really need 1-3, and preferably 4, to get the most out of it;
- expansion 6, you need expansion 1.

Luckily, 1-3 are to be reprinted later in the year, after being out of print for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.