Michel Boucher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards both say that if, after movement, a Nazgûl is in a region containing the Fellowship's last known position, something happens.

The rule (Character Movement | Moving Nazgûl and Minions) states that a Nazgûl can never move alone into a region containing a Free Peoples' stronghold. But in Event Cards section, it also states that a card "usually" allows a player to take an action that violates the standard rules, but adds that any rule not expressly replaced by the card text still applies normally.

Am I right to conclude this means that Nazgûl Strike and Nazgûl Search cannot be used to drop a lone Nazgûl into say Lorien even if it was the last known position of the Fellowship? Or is this one of those rules which can be broken by playing a card?

I've looked and the text is the same in both editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay P

Alexandria
Virginia
msg tools
The card says to move the Nazgul. When an instruction is given in this way, it does not override "move" restrictions. Hence, movement restrictions remain in place.

If it said move a Nazgul to any region on the board, then it would override the rule restricting movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
this is not one of those rules that can be broken.

They can however be placed with the besieging army which would satisfy the conditions of the card should the FSP LKP be there. The FSP is not a unit under siege per se.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the card said to move them into the Fellowship's region, that would be one thing.

This card just says to move them normally (so all normal rules apply). THEN, if they happen to be in the Fellowship's region something happens. But they might not be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I could accept those justifications if the Recruitment cards were not worded using "Recruit xyz" which would have the implication that the nation would have to be at war in order to have an effect and it is the number and type of units that would be "breaking the rules"

I think the card exceptions could be made clearer as they fall into several categories. Each category can have some explicit exceptions as well as some implied ones.

Recruitment: No prerequisites are required nor are limits applied and limited only to forces available. Not explicitly stated but implied.

Movement: Follows standard movement rules for type of moving piece and exceptions to movement rules are explicit on the cards.

Hunt: Resolution process is explicitly stated

Attack: Explicitly states the involved party preconditions. Political status is not checked nor required. Implied excpetion to political rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, the cards provide an exception to the rules only based on their text.
Muster cards are a special case, because exceptions which applied to all of them (e.g. mustering in Strongholds and when a Nation is not at War) have been moved to the rules, to keep the text of the cards shorter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the confusion for most players comes from the line in the rules which states. That if a requirement is not met the card cannot be played. It doesnt explicitly state that those requirements are stated on the cards themselves. The recruitment cards genearlly dont have any requirements to play stated so its a bit nebulous for new players that its actually telling you to "break" the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Boucher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aammondd wrote:
I think the confusion for most players comes from the line in the rules which states. That if a requirement is not met the card cannot be played. It doesnt explicitly state that those requirements are stated on the cards themselves. The recruitment cards genearlly dont have any requirements to play stated so its a bit nebulous for new players that its actually telling you to "break" the rules

I was aware of the confusion (card supercedes rules in some but not all cases) which is why I thought it was best to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aammondd wrote:
I think the confusion for most players comes from the line in the rules which states. That if a requirement is not met the card cannot be played. It doesnt explicitly state that those requirements are stated on the cards themselves.

Where else would they be stated?

aammondd wrote:
The recruitment cards genearlly dont have any requirements to play stated so its a bit nebulous for new players that its actually telling you to "break" the rules

The issue is not the requirements to play. As you say, recruitment cards generally have none. The issue is in how the recruitment cards break the rules. As Roberto said, this issue is addressed in the Rulebook, as they all break the rules in the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand I just think there is maybe a cleaner way to make the statement that might be better.

Something akin to:

Any conditions of play listed on the card must be met before the card can be played. All effects of the card are followed where possible even when they contradict the existing rules. If a rule is not expressly contradicted follow the normal rules for applying the effects.

Note
Recruitment cards require that the recruiting region is not controlled by an opponent though not explicitly stated. Reminder besieging armies do not control the region until all enemy units are removed.

Though that may cause its own confusion to some people. Believe me I used to play SFB (affectionately called Star Fleet Lawyers) You can't please everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.