Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
I know that many gamers enjoy playing cooperative games solo (with only one player). Atlantis Rising does not currently have rules for solo play, but that does not mean that such rules couldn't exist! How do you feel about rules for solo play of Atlantis Rising?

Poll
I would like to see the following rules for solo play:
Rules to make the game playable with only one councilor
Rules to make the game playable with one councilor, assisted by "AI" allies
Something else (which I will describe in my comment below)
I do not want/care about solo rules
      67 answers
Poll created by gciscell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Dortch
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo Play for "Co-Op" Games
Some of my favorite games fall into the "Co-Op" category, like Shadows Over Camelot, Yggdrasil, Ghost Stories, and Vanished Planet, just to name a few. I fully expect Atlantis Rising to become steadfastly entrenched in that group very soon... ^_^

My primary reason for playing these games is, of course, to enjoy the collaborative effort with other players. That said, I like the fact that I CAN play Yggdrasil or Ghost Stories or Vanished Planet solo if I find myself with a little extra time and nobody around to drag into a game with me...

I would very much like to see rules for solo play incorporated into Atlantis Rising. At the very least, it adds that much more flexibility to the game, and detracts nothing.

Let me know if you need solo-variant playtesters...

^_~
-LordRaidor-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks everyone for your responses! With Zac's new VASSAL module I am hoping to get some solo rules playtested and into the rulebook before we go to production. If not, look for them on the web site shortly after publication!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stasia Doster
United States
Sherman
Texas
flag msg tools
If I am not gaming, I am reading!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite often I find myself having to play games solo, so it would just add that much more to the game for me if solo rules are incorporated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
I said all three of the first options but since I have no clue about anything to do with the game other than the theme interests me I can't say what the "something else" would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
richiebabes wrote:
I said all three of the first options but since I have no clue about anything to do with the game other than the theme interests me I can't say what the "something else" would be.

Hi Richard! Check out my designer journal entries for a little more about the game if you're interested. There are also a couple playtester reviews/session reports up as well, and the rulebook has been posted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Thanks Galen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
richiebabes wrote:
Thanks Galen.

My pleasure! Hope you get a chance to play it when it releases... and you LOVE it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jamieson
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gciscell wrote:
richiebabes wrote:
Thanks Galen.

My pleasure! Hope you get a chance to play it when it releases... and you LOVE it!

Any update on solo play now that the game is available at Gen Con?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
ciggie wrote:
Any update on solo play now that the game is available at Gen Con?

Not yet. I just got the game myself recently and haven't had much chance to playtest solo rules yet. Feel free to post your solo variant to the Geek if you come up with one before I do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Dortch
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggested Solitaire Rules for Atlantis Rising
I took the liberty of encorporating a 'solitaire' version in the VASSAL module (now available at the VASSAL site). If you select '1 Player' during setup, it starts the game with the Athenian Galley at the "2-3P" start location, and limits it to "+1" as the maximum (which you'll reach at the end of just the 2nd turn). The module also removes 4 cards form the Knowledge Deck that have no purpose in a solo game: Ballad of Bravery, Virtue of Sharing, and both Rituals of Transference. Finally, the Component card "Subatomic Semaphore' needs to either be removed from the game before setup, OR played it as if the benefit on the card reads "Draw and keep one knowledge card" instead of the text as printed (which is useless to a solo player).

I've playtested these 'solitaire' alterations a dozen or so times now, and the challenge level is fairly spot-on with what you'd face in a multi-player game. I personally think the game loses alot of its charm when played solo (it IS supposed to be a co-op game, after all), but it's still entirely playable this way, if you're in the mood. ^_^

So again, my suggestions for solo play:
1) Start the Athenian Galley at the "2-3P" spot
2) Limit the Galley to "+1", at maximum
3) Remove these 4 cards from the Knowledge Deck:
==> Ballad of Bravery
==> Virtue of Sharing
==> Ritual of Transference
==> Ritual of Transference
4) Play "Subatomic Semaphore" as if it read:
==> Draw and keep one knowledge card

These modification have worked just dandy for me, and the VASSAL module will make all of these changes automatically if you pick "1 Player" during setup. Enjoy!

^_^
-LordRaidor-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Dortch
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solitaire Addenda...
Oops, ...forgot to mention that the "Temporal Keyhole" Component also loses ALOT of its potency in a solo game. It ends up having LESS of a 'benefit' than the "Stabilizer" Component, yet is significantly harder to build. I play with it as-is anyway, and so does the VASSAL module. I just chalk it up to 'part of the difficulty curve' when it happens to show up in a solitaire Blueprint layout. ^_~ However, if you don't find that to your liking, go ahead and remove "Temporal Keyhole" from the Components before setup (along with "Subatomic Semaphore" if you don't want to use the alternate benefit wording).

There, now I think I've covered everything. Feedback welcome.

^_^
-LordRaidor-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.