Hide
10 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Looking to get an expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chrolikai Me
msg tools
So my birthday just passed and one of the gifts I got was a giftcard to a local game store that caries Dominion and expansions. I currently only own Intrigue, and my friend has the base set. Pretty much, I'm not sure which one to go with. I've played a little online in isotropic so I have some opinions on them, but nothing very strong. The only one I want to avoid getting is Alchemy. Here's how my friends and I play:

-I prefer to run giant engines with action cards in order to draw most of my deck every turn.
-Some of the guys I play with dislike having attack cards, but so long as they aren't super powerful (we avoid the Saboteur and Swindler). So long as there is a decent reaction card this should be fine though.
-A few guys enjoy going big money, but that may just be because they don't plan ahead with actions so they don't like too many.
-If possible, cards that give atleast +2 actions would be ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pretty much every expansion fits all of your points. Every expansion has some big-draw cards, some nasty attacks, an interesting reaction, and some village-like cards (+2 actions).

If you're a fan of the big engines in particular, then I bet that Dominion: Prosperity would tickle you just right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrolikai wrote:
So my birthday just passed and one of the gifts I got was a giftcard to a local game store that caries Dominion and expansions. I currently only own Intrigue, and my friend has the base set. Pretty much, I'm not sure which one to go with. I've played a little online in isotropic so I have some opinions on them, but nothing very strong. The only one I want to avoid getting is Alchemy. Here's how my friends and I play:

-I prefer to run giant engines with action cards in order to draw most of my deck every turn.
-Some of the guys I play with dislike having attack cards, but so long as they aren't super powerful (we avoid the Saboteur and Swindler). So long as there is a decent reaction card this should be fine though.
-A few guys enjoy going big money, but that may just be because they don't plan ahead with actions so they don't like too many.

Prosperity is the "go big or go home" expansion. There are a couple of nasty attacks, but nothing as bad as in Intrigue. There are also multiple Village-type cards. It sounds perfect for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I like Hinterlands best but it is iffy for some people. Prosperity seems to be almost a can't miss for just about everyone though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Chrolikai wrote:
Here's how my friends and I play:

Seaside and Alchemy are the best ways to go for big engines/action chains with lots of card drawing potential from durations in Seaside (Wharf/Caravan) or from Alchemist/Scrying Pool in Alchemy. It isn't quite as easy to get good full-deck action chaining with the other expansions.

#1 - Alchemy, #2 - Seaside, #3-5 - Prosperity, Cornucopia, Hinterlands (can't decide order)

Quote:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't even touch Alchemy with a 10 foot pole in this case. Possession, although it is not an attack, is one of the most hated cards in the game. Seaside is really rough with attacks as well, and those attacks can be especially brutal in multi-player, but there is one pseudo-reaction with Lighthouse. Hinterlands probably has the most tame attacks and includes two different reactions that might be beneficial against certain types of attacks - Tunnel for discarding and Trader for Curses or any other undesirable card gains. Trash my Silver with your Saboteur, and I'll just gain a Copper to replace it - but no, I'll show my Trader instead to gain a new Silver! Jack of All Trades is not a reaction, but will also help reduce the damage done by discarding or Cursing attacks.

#1 - Hinterlands, #2 - Prosperity, #3 - Cornucopia, #4 - Seaside, #5 - Alchemy

Quote:

Seaside and Alchemy have very few cards that work well in limited quantities and Cornucopia's variety theme doesn't work that well with big money either. Prosperity would be the obvious choice here with it's variety of treasure kingdom cards as well as several other cards that work well in a mostly big-money oriented deck. But don't overlook Hinterlands. Jack of All Trades, Trader, Embassy, Haggler, and Stables all work well in mostly money decks.

#1 - Prosperity, #2 - Hinterlands, #3 - Cornucopia, #4 - Seaside, #5 - Alchemy

Quote:

Seaside has 3
Alchemy has 1 (but Golem can be counted as well)
Prosperity has 2 (but King's Court should also be counted)
Cornucopia has 2 (and a single "prize" that can provide +2 actions)
Hinterlands has 3 (but Crossroads only provides extra actions once in a turn)

#1 - Seaside, #2 - Prosperity, #3 - Hinterlands, #4 - Cornucopia, #5 - Alchemy

So how does the total breakdown look?
Seaside - #2, #4, #4, #1
Alchemy - #1, #5, #5, #5
Prosperity - #3-5, #2, #1, #2
Cornucopia - #3-5, #3, #3, #4
Hinterlands - #3-5, #1, #2, #3

I'd recommend either Prosperity or Hinterlands, with Hinterlands being my preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jann Beckers
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Base Set, Intrigue and Prosperity. From what you like/don't like I would recommend Prosperity.

Don't know for Seaside, I am looking to buy this myself some day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The only one I want to avoid getting is Alchemy.

Alchemy may have some cards that fit what you're looking for, but the Potions indeed makes it play differently than the other expansions. Plus, it has Possession. If you don't like Saboteur or Swindler, you definitely won't like Possession. It's not a bad idea to pass on that one for now, especially since you're familiar enough with it to know you don't want it. It's definitely the most love/hate expansion to date.

Quote:
I prefer to run giant engines with action cards in order to draw most of my deck every turn.

Seaside has the most + action cards, but they all have +2 action cards.

Quote:
Some of the guys I play with dislike having attack cards.

Seaside also has the most of these, but all of the expansions are relatively close in the amount of attack cards. Remember also that you can defend against attack with non-reaction cards, too. Often, they're even better at mitigating attack effects than the reaction cards.

Quote:
A few guys enjoy going big money, but that may just be because they don't plan ahead with actions so they don't like too many.

Prosperity is all about big money. It has by far the most treasure cards, including Platinum, the epitome of big money.

Personnaly, I like Seaside the best, and you probably will too if you're going for action chaining. As a group, I don't think you'll go wrong with Prosperity either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:
Prosperity is the "go big or go home" expansion. There are a couple of nasty attacks, but nothing as bad as in Intrigue. There are also multiple Village-type cards. It sounds perfect for you.

I agree that Prosperity is the bomb and fits his description in all ways except that it has the meanest most beastliest of all attacks...

Mountebank!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most expansions are going to have a nasty attack or two; you can just leave those out and not worry about it. Seaside has several very strong support cards for combos and the like, so I guess I'd recommend that. Cornucopia and Prosperity are also decent choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chrolikai Me
msg tools
Thanks guys for all the input. I think I'm going to go with Prosperity. I can see how seaside is good, but there isn't as many +action cards like I thought there were. Maybe I'll pick it up later. Thanks again for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.