Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If an encounter card says to go to a location, one specific example was to go there to pick up 2 encounter cards and we can choose one. But if theres already a gate there, then what happens? If I Follow the flowchart strictly, because its the arkham encounter phase, this would simply mean that I'm standing on a gate after choosing/doing my one encounter at the new location, while also ignoring any monster battles (since monster battles occur only the movement phase). Next turn, I'll have to deal with the monsters at my location and may possibly sneak out of the gate (movement phase) before the warping into gate (arkham encounter phase)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you can't draw a new encounter card because the gate replaces the location. We've played this to be that your encounter at the new location is to enter the gate. I'm sure one of the more seasoned players will give a more solid answer though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stewaa991 wrote:
Well you can't draw a new encounter card because the gate replaces the location. We've played this to be that your encounter at the new location is to enter the gate. I'm sure one of the more seasoned players will give a more solid answer though.

Yes and when you get to pick between 2 encounters, your choices are: to get sucked into the gate OR to get sucked into the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, you ignore any monsters on the location and get sucked through the gate. During the Other Worlds encounter phase you only draw one card.

More information here - see Reply #8.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh wow thx a lot guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subramanian Krishnamurthy
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
I believe the answers given are wrong. I quote from the official FAQ

Q: If a location card tells an investigator that he may move
to another location and have an encounter there, what
happens if the location has a monster and/or gate on it?
A: First, the investigator must successfully evade or fight
any monsters at the location. If successful, the investigator
has a normal Arkham Encounters Phase at the new location,
following either the “Gate” or “No Gate” instructions
on pages 8-9 of the rulebook.

So basically, you have to fight or evade monsters even if it is not in movement phase.

There are few other questions addressed in the FAQ.It is useful to read it- http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arkham_Horror/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
subrak13 wrote:
I believe the answers given are wrong. I quote from the official FAQ

Q: If a location card tells an investigator that he may move
to another location and have an encounter there, what
happens if the location has a monster and/or gate on it?
A: First, the investigator must successfully evade or fight
any monsters at the location. If successful, the investigator
has a normal Arkham Encounters Phase at the new location,
following either the “Gate” or “No Gate” instructions
on pages 8-9 of the rulebook.

So basically, you have to fight or evade monsters even if it is not in movement phase.

There are few other questions addressed in the FAQ.It is useful to read it- http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arkham_Horror/...

But if you read the post over on the FFG forum that Merric linked to you will see that this rule has been over-ruled:

Quote:
When moved to another location by an encounter, you don't have to fight/evade monsters in either location. At least, not immediately. Combat as a result of such movement only occurs during the movement phase. During the encounter phase, you only have to worry about monsters popping up to attack you as a result of an encounter.

This rule overides the following FAQ v1.2 entry:

If a location card tells an investigator that he may move to another location and have an encounter there, what happens if the location has a monster and/or gate on it?

First, the investigator must successfully evade or fight any monsters at the location. If successful, the investigator has a normal Arkham Encounters Phase at the new location, following either the Gate or No Gate instructions on pages 8-9 of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subramanian Krishnamurthy
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ok thanks-it makes more sense withe combat being restricted only during movement phase. However,the post that you are pointing to was published in 2008 and I bought the game in 2012 and there seems to be no change in the FAQ in 4 years? How reliable is that post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
subrak13 wrote:
Ok thanks-it makes more sense with combat being restricted only during movement phase. However, the post that you are pointing to was published in 2008 and I bought the game in 2012 and there seems to be no change in the FAQ in 4 years? How reliable is that post?
The later position (that sticks to Combat only during Movement except when the Encounter directly generates the Monster) is the generally accepted position. Don't get everyone started on the FAQ issue, you'll see an outbreak of rants and snarking There is an FAQ v2 in the process of making its way to publication, but it has been stuck in that process for some considerable period of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.