Subject: Okko - Fun Fast and Simple rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other reviews explain rules and gameplay nicely and so I would like this review to come from my own perspective on why I think it is a wonderful game.

Okko: Era of the Asagiri is a fun, fast and simple game to play, with everything you need to play included in a relatively inexpensive box.
For value for money, I do not think it can be beaten.
If you want more, there are the expansions which add more characters and some rules such as for summoning Kami's (Elemental Spirits).
The expansions are not a necessity but they sure do make a good thing better.

Value for money: 5/5 Ninja's ninjaninjaninjaninjaninja

I love skirmish games, there is something nice and personal when you only control a handful of figures as opposed to many faceless rank and file troops.
That said, skirmish games for me require particular rules to capture that 'only one (side) of us is walking away from this...., this time we finish it' theme.
And Okko has both of them.

The first is opposed dice rolls.
Rolling to hit a static number doesn't involve the other player, in essence they are just standing there taking the hit, but when you incorporate opposed rolls you thematically feel like you are fighting back.

The second is in-combat movement.
Only two other games I know of use this, Lord of the Rings miniatures skirmish and Inquisitor, both by Games-Workshop.
Static figures with mass battle games keeps things nice and clean, but when you get up close and personal with a handful of figures, such movement in close combat really adds a nice dimension to the game.
Push them back, back them into a corner etc.
I think this is also a 'Must Have' in skirmish games, and Okko does it very nicely.

Here is the main strategy in Okko, maneuvering so that you can trap your opponents figures in deadly 'crossfires', also setting up a defensive screen to protect weaker characters.

The rest of the rules are very straight forward and easy to learn, but simple does not mean dull by any method.
The only 'houserule' I use is a mission card from the expansion Era of the Karasu, where a combat difference of 3,4 is retreat and shaken, and 5+ is disabled.
I use that mission card as a constant rule in addition to whatever scenario rules are used.
There are times when you roll a 1 and your opponent rolls a 6, but just like the Akira Kurosawa movies combat is brutal and swift.

This game is great, and I really wished there were more to come, with Okko they really nailed it good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice overview. I often looked at picking this game up but never made the move.

I am wondering if you have played Anima Tactics. It's a skirmish level minis game that involves opposed dice rolls, counter-attacks, moving to dodge and to intercept charges on your opponents turn. The models are metal and need to be painted, but the rules might fit your particular tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tino Seth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The only 'houserule' I use is a mission card from the expansion Era of the Karasu, where a combat difference of 3,4 is retreat and shaken, and 5+ is disabled.

Yes, I also play this way. I see too many 1 and 6 rolls when I play. Great review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anima Tactics is the other game I play, the thing I like most about it is the action/reaction points system how you save actions to defend yourself in your opponents turn.
The reactive movement is nice too, where you can protect your weaker characters over a larger area although I find the figures are mostly static once they get into melee, with noted exceptions (Kagemuru doesn't like to be pinned down )

Thanks for the nice comments guys, ill have to post up some of my pics of Hirst Arts work for Japanese terrain for Okko/Anima/Bushido

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manuel rabago
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter, i agree, Okko is one of my favorite games, i love japanese/samurai themed games, so okko for me is perfect, to enrich your review and attract more players, we have to say that there`s minis for Okko, at the forums of other games, they do not know this feature, Okko minis are beatiful and here i have a list of other miniatures we use.
For samurai: Kenjiro the ronin and the new line of samurais from tales of war are awesome.
Infinity has miyamoto musashi and shinobu kitsune, amazing figs.
Bushido and alkemy has nice models too.
For Onis: Our favorites are the necron C`tans, the night bringer and the deciever from games workshop.
Any hell dorado figure, In hordes, Legion of everblight and in warmachine, cryx have excellent choices.
This way you have a lot of choices and you can customize your forces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen Kenjiro the ronin, and man that is truly a beautiful figure.
One figure I found online was the ISC by Taban, some kind of ashigaru robot thing that looks nicely like Kubban from Era of the Karasu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.