Subject: First expansion shots! Beware the Caverns of Roxor! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Adams
Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
flag msg tools
Pictures are starting to surface from SPM at the Gama Tradeshow! These were posted in my other thread about the trade show!

Looks like our prayers for more monsters are being answered! I spy 4 boxes there, at least 3 of which are monster sets. Looks like we're getting a booster of the dragonlings we already have. I suspect the 4th may be the 3 new heroes and the boss of Dragonback Peaks, Vulcanis. Though you can't see much of it it's layout is different than the other 3 in that the left side with title and consul symbol isn't the same.

More as the story devellopes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An expansion with heroes (and possibly dungeon tiles), 3 monster packs (what people were asking for) and something not quite clear. Yep, that'll give the game a huge replayability boost.
If only it was april already... I want SDE now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, this ought to be titled "Caverns of r0x0r"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
The extra box in question:

"Herald of Vulcanis"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we have expansion boxes (with heroes and possibly tiles), monster packs and what seems to be (Herald Vulcanis) extra bosses. This game is going to be huge... and expensive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nichols
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder what may be available for dislay (or PURCHASE!?!) at PAXEast...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sakaluk
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait for these. A preview of the Princess' card also popped up on Tabletop Gaming News

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanton Moon
United States
Thayne
Wyoming
flag msg tools
I wonder if there will be rules to jump on shells and use them as projectiles. . .

I'm glad to see an expansion, love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Adams
Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
flag msg tools
They followed up on this yesterday too on the official forums:

SPM_John wrote:
We will share more details soon, but you can expect at least (2) level expansions for this year! Caverns of Roxor is a really great collection of miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmb
Word from Sakura-Con is that the expansions are due in July and November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob_Jedi wrote:
Can't wait for these. A preview of the Princess' card also popped up on Tabletop Gaming News

So would those augment abilities last until the start of Princess Ruby's next activation, thus potentially allowing two attacks with the bonuses from the target?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fred Tortonesi
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
does the big box contain the smaller booster box stuff or do i have to get the smaller box one. i preoredered Super Dungeon Explore: Caverns of Roxor and the promo figures. but was unsure of the other expansions. dont want to preorder something if it is alreadyin the roxor box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Kirenx wrote:
So would those augment abilities last until the start of Princess Ruby's next activation, thus potentially allowing two attacks with the bonuses from the target?

It is possible for another Hero to obtain those bonuses twice, yes.

Example 1 wrote:
Round 1
Princess Ruby activates
- Uses Maiden's Favour, targets Heartsworn Fighter (who is within 6 squares) to gain +1 Blue on Attack.

Heartsworn Fighter activates
- Due to Maiden's Favour has +1 Blue on Attack

Round 2
- Due to Maiden's Favour has +1 Blue on Attack

Princess Ruby activates
- At the start of her activation Maiden's Favour ends.

So in this example, Heartsworn Fighter Hero gets to use the effects of Maiden's Favour twice. Of course the opposite is true.

Example 2 wrote:
Round 1

Princess Ruby activates
- Uses Maiden's Favour, targets Heartsworn Fighter (who is within 6 squares) to gain +1 Blue on Attack.

Round 2
Princess Ruby activates
- At the start of her activation Maiden's Favour ends.

- Missed out on Maiden's Favour for both turns.

Of course that would be poor planning on the Heroes side but it might be such that something unexpected happened during Round 1 and 2 which forced Princess Ruby to activate before Heartsworn Fighter.

I would also note that Princess Ruby only gets to target one Hero with Maiden's Favour each time it is used. It isn't a WAVE or AURA Area Effect, it's just a Ranged Effect (and the rules on page 23 do say that you may only target a model).

Of course there is no reason why Princess Ruby couldn't use Maiden's Favour three times during her turn (since it only costs one action point). She could target three different Heroes so they all get the bonus or she could target the same Hero three times to give +3 Blues dice for their Attack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
Those bonuses would boost all of the party members in range of the aura including herself until the start of her next turn. It is very helpful much like the Dragon Priest and Ironscales auras for the Consul.

I would disagree. Maiden's Favour is not an AURA. It uses RANGE, and according to the rules you must target a single model.

Page 23 of the Rules wrote:
If a model has an ability listed with Range X, they must target a model with the ability up to X squares away.

Dragon Priest and Ironscales do use AURA for their Special Actions, so in their case they do effect all those friendly models within their AURA.

Princess Ruby Special Action Maiden's Favour is different because it uses RANGE.

EDIT: Original post I was replying to has been deleted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
alfan727 wrote:
does the big box contain the smaller booster box stuff or do i have to get the smaller box one. i preoredered Super Dungeon Explore: Caverns of Roxor and the promo figures. but was unsure of the other expansions. dont want to preorder something if it is alreadyin the roxor box.

The big box does contain almost everything the separate small boxes do.

It seems the small boxes contain 1 Loot card that doesn't appear anywhere else. A bit annoying that you need to purchase the small boxes just to get this but honestly, it's just a Loot card. I can live without it
SodaPop wrote:
On the subject of the difference between the expansion and boosters: "‎1 box gets you everything - all the models - if you want to customize your dungeon with more stuff and "double down" on a particular type of monster, you can do that - the difference being that we put an extra loot card in the smaller boxes to give a reward for those boxes too. Total count of all models with the 3 boxes +promo figure = 52 miniatures including the summoning towers"

"we don't want you to feel like you are getting a raw deal not getting a whole "collection" of items by not getting the additional loot cards, but wanted to provide at least a little extra incentive to getting the extra minis, aside from the fact that they are awesome, and you can actually use them in your games. No hidden info here, we will have a robust forum, and we will surely have the items and their rules up for you to review and include in your games if you would want to do that. We are hobbyists and gamers... there is always a way!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
Those bonuses would boost all of the party members in range of the aura including herself until the start of her next turn. It is very helpful much like the Dragon Priest and Ironscales auras for the Consul.

I would disagree. Maiden's Favour is not an AURA. It uses RANGE, and according to the rules you must target a single model.

Page 23 of the Rules wrote:
If a model has an ability listed with Range X, they must target a model with the ability up to X squares away.

Dragon Priest and Ironscales do use AURA for their Special Actions, so in their case they do effect all those friendly models within their AURA.

Princess Ruby Special Action Maiden's Favour is different because it uses RANGE.

I would also say that she cannot target herself.

Yep, I misread it with sleepy morning eyes, you are 100% correct regarding the augment.

Why would she not be able to target herself though? She is always at range 0 so she would be in range of her effect. I have never seen a healer/buffer that can not heal or buff themselves.

(Deleted my post with the sleepy morning erroneous information)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
MajMalfunction10 wrote:
Why would she not be able to target herself though? She is always at range 0 so she would be in range of her effect. I have never seen a healer/buffer that can not heal or buff themselves.

The rules are not clear if RANGE includes 0. I'm perfectly willing to accept that it can.

The rules I based this assumption on was under Special Actions on page 19.

Page 19 of the Rules wrote:
If a special action lists no range or area of effect it may only target the model using the action.

I took the view that since Maiden's Kiss did lists RANGE, then Princess Ruby's couldn't be self-target.

My initial take on Princess Ruby's Maiden's Kiss is that it doesn't seem "right" that she can kiss herself

Looking at the existing Heroes and monsters all the HEAL abilities are linked to Potions and Potions apply to a model. This is the first time we have a HEAL associated with an Action.

The closest we have is Glimmerdusk Ranger's Herbalist, which is a special action.
Herbalist: Augment, Range 6, Remedy.

Can Glimmerdusk Ranger self-target herself with this action? I guess that would make sense if she could. If so, then Princess Ruby should be able to self-target Maiden's Kiss on herself.

A better reason why Maiden's Kiss and Herbalist can self-target is because AUGMENT specifically states that friendly models are targeted, including the user

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability to heal 3 points in a round is pretty nice. Couple that with a sugar rush from Candy n Cola and she could be very potent, but the prime target for the Consul. The range limitation of the heal is necessary to keep her from being even more overpowered.

But I figure if she can kiss a guy two squares away with freakishly huge lips, she can probabaly kiss herself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deana McCormick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Air kisses! She kisses her hand (able to kiss self!) and blows the kiss to the recipient (insert image of cute floating heart here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
Running around a dungeon kissing all the boys and girls. What a tease!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Vitali
Italy
Casalecchio di Reno
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
alfan727 wrote:

It seems the small boxes contain 1 Loot card that doesn't appear anywhere else. A bit annoying that you need to purchase the small boxes just to get this but honestly, it's just a Loot card. I can live without it
SodaPop wrote:
On the subject of the difference between the expansion and boosters: "‎1 box gets you everything - all the models - if you want to customize your dungeon with more stuff and "double down" on a particular type of monster, you can do that - the difference being that we put an extra loot card in the smaller boxes to give a reward for those boxes too. Total count of all models with the 3 boxes +promo figure = 52 miniatures including the summoning towers"

"we don't want you to feel like you are getting a raw deal not getting a whole "collection" of items by not getting the additional loot cards, but wanted to provide at least a little extra incentive to getting the extra minis, aside from the fact that they are awesome, and you can actually use them in your games. No hidden info here, we will have a robust forum, and we will surely have the items and their rules up for you to review and include in your games if you would want to do that. We are hobbyists and gamers... there is always a way!!"

That's not fair... shake

If I want also the new loot cards I'm forced to buy the three mini expansions instead of the big one.

yuk

I guess that a great thing would be to put the "unique" loot cards also online.
Using a "magic key" found inside the Cavern of Roxor expansion it would be possible to download the hi-res version of the new cards (so I can print and sleeve them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually if I understand correctly, you'd have to buy the big box AND the smaller ones. I do not believe the smaller boxes contain the dungeon boss, and I'm not sure if they contain the mini bosses or spawn points either. I think they are meant to supplement the main set to give you more guys to spawn, or just add in a few new models to the main set, but I could be wrong on that one.

If you want all the minis though, and don't care about the 3 extra loot cards, you just have to get the main Caverns of Roxor set and then the promo anti-hero guy.

sbaracleto wrote:
xris wrote:
alfan727 wrote:

SodaPop wrote:

That's not fair... shake

If I want also the new loot cards I'm forced to buy the three mini expansions instead of the big one.

yuk

I guess that a great thing would be to put the "unique" loot cards also online.
Using a "magic key" found inside the Cavern of Roxor expansion it would be possible to download the hi-res version of the new cards (so I can print and sleeve them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
sbaracleto wrote:

It's not "three mini expansions instead of the big one"

I don't think the three mini expansions contain everthing, they certainly don't include the Heroes for example.

Quote:
Super Dungeon Explore: Caverns of Roxor (MSRP $60)
Super Dungeon Explore: Rock Top Gang (MSRP $35)
Super Dungeon Explore: Fireflow Denizens (MSRP $30)
Super Dungeon Explore: Herald of Vulnanis (MSRP $13)

The small boxes are if you want to add more of a particular monster (and of course, for the model collectors who just want the nice models for their own collections).

There is also a small box expansion named Dragon's Clutch but that just looks like the Drake Denizen models from the original game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Vitali
Italy
Casalecchio di Reno
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
... now I must save some money to spend into the upcoming expansions. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.