Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Loader
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this last week and really liked it but I already own several versions of Risk and I don't want to buy another that has the same map when my game closet is already overflowing. And I also think my wood box Risk is prettier

I'd like to just adapt the components to these rules. Has anyone done this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bonnyaclyde wrote:
I'd like to just adapt the components to these rules. Has anyone done this?

No, but the only other version of Risk I owned as a Lord of the Rings set that didn’t get much love after I bought War of the Ring.

If the map is the same (or close enough) you could probably do it, though you’d have to improvise some of the components and even more once you start opening packets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Nahkalaka
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If one of your game group members is a decent artist you could probably just use a sharpie/marker and draw in the sticker components of the game and black them out if they get covered or something. I'm not quite sure how you would customize the cards and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✔️✔️❌✔️❌✔️ ➖➖➖➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't done it, but it's doable.

First, you can readily adapt Legacy's VP and game setup system to any Risk set. Just grab something to represent HQs and play to 4 VPs. However, that's only a small fraction of what you want to do. There's only one type of troop, so pieces are otherwise basic reuse.

For a destructive total conversion, you'll be able to represent the coin value of territories by writing on the cards, and board effects (cities, scars, etc) by writing on the board. Further fabrication required includes:
* Making 10 coin cards
* Mocking up the sideboard and faction boards.
* Creating scar cards
So far, pretty simple. When Legacy uses stickers, just write with a marker. Consider keeping faction board templates on a computer so you can type in new powers rather than writing in. Keep good records of what's available. The "scar eraser" winner reward is the toughest thing to manage.

Unlockables get trickier, but that's mostly because of spoilers than technical manufacturing needs. You'll need to mock up events, missions, and such, but that's just like what you did with the scar cards above. Some packets will require new tricks, but nothing crazy. It's all the principle of substituting "ink" for "sticker".

Now, if you want to play Legacy without making permanent alterations...
* Your pieces are fine, you don't alter those
* Just mock up new territory cards as you have with all other cards
* The board is the problem. Options exist. Make one on paper?

But honestly, by this point, you've pretty much manufactured the whole game and deprived the appropriate parties of a sale, royalties, and such -- not to mention spending time/effort/money/storage space commensurate with just buying the game.

So yes, recreating Legacy with some other set is doable, but I don't think it makes much sense. If you want to play it with a fancy wooden Risk set, you'll of necessity either permanently mark said nice set or play with a bunch of substandard materials and defeat the purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jooker
Canada
flag msg tools
after reading this we have decide to 'legacy' out our now unplayed Risk games. We have both Balance of power and Lord of the rings risk, both of which don't get used anymore.

I'm a big board game modder myself, having taken Axis and Allies Global into a whole new scale (extra factions) of balanced fun, I think this is the perfect chance to destroy my old boards.

best part is, if it doesn't work, the boards are cheap to replace and start over with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.