Subject: Villagers: It's What's For Dinner - Recipes & Cooking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As promised, the dedicated cooking tips/tricks and recipes thread!

So yeah, garlic presses rock. As do rice cookers!

I actually saw a "hot deal" yesterday for a Zojirushi rice cooker... It was $230. I didn't buy it though because seriously, I can get 250 lbs of rice for that price.

Or 6 months of underwear... Oops, wrong thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
worshipsf wrote:

I actually saw a "hot deal" yesterday for a Zojirushi rice cooker... It was $230. I didn't buy it though because seriously, I can get 250 lbs of rice for that price.

You spend $1.28 on average a day on underwear?

What kind of underwear do you wear? Underwear made of gold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
worshipsf wrote:

You spend $1.28 on average a day on underwear?

What kind of underwear do you wear? Underwear made of gold?

Well, I mean, edible underwear doesn't last that long whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@jage - it was a reference to this post

@Stat - So, what tips/tricks/recipes do you have for cooking edible underwear? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
worshipsf wrote:
@jage - it was a reference to this post

@Stat - So, what tips/tricks/recipes do you have for cooking edible underwear? whistle

There's a reason we separated the big thread into little ones... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I blame............. Ok, it may have been my fault just a little.

To get back on topic: we've discussed knives, garlic presses, rice cookers, can openers, and electric kettles, what other kitchen gadgets and gizmos are everyone's favorites?

I am really enjoying our SodaStream machine, in spite of the overpriced co2 canisters. I bought a giant thing of fresh ginger to make homemade ginger ale, but then left it at my parents' accidentally. I'd also love to make homemade root beer, but that seems much more complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Total Blue. Total Woman.
badge
But listen again. Is it really the wind, or is it the sound of somebody running one step ahead of the dark?
mbmbmbmbmb
worshipsf wrote:
I'd also love to make homemade root beer, but that seems much more complicated.

I went to a wedding two years ago where there was homemade root beer at the reception. It was a neat idea and it tasted okay, but wasn't as good as my favorite. My favorite root beer is Route 66.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluelise wrote:
worshipsf wrote:

I went to a wedding two years ago where there was homemade root beer at the reception. It was a neat idea and it tasted okay, but wasn't as good as my favorite. My favorite root beer is Route 66.

My college best friend recommended that brand to me too but I've never seen it for sale.

I'd still like to try making it myself - I find most commercial sodas far too sweet for my tastes these days, plus I like knowing I'm not putting in artificial colors, preservatives, etc. Also, it's just cool to make your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Corrin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Traveller Werewolf - more games planned
badge
Still have werewolf games in sign-up.
mbmbmbmbmb
worshipsf wrote:

My wife makes rice nearly every day. We have a Basmati brand from india that we like. "Elephant Brand". Wash and rinse, put some garlic (pressed) and onion in a pan with oil and simmer, add rice and mix for some magic amount of time, add water and salt until it boils then set on low heat for 10 minutes or so.
A lot of work, so I can see why a rice cooker is more convenient.

P.S. While I was looking for a link for the rice I found this: Vietnam long grain rice with best price Min. Order: 25 Tons FOB Price: US $335-365 / Ton. That seems cheap as we spend $20 on a 4.5 Kg bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You could become the neighborhood rice mogul ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmbmb
bluelise wrote:
worshipsf wrote:

My problem with "homemade" root beer is that it's almost guaranteed to be a syrup you pour into water and carbonate. Sarsaparilla might be carcinogenic, or is it sassafrass? Either way, all the "root" in root beer might be bad for you.

Now, this week I picked up some ginger so I could make this. I just need a 2L bottle since, as I've said elsewhere, I never drink pop (YES IT IS CALLED POP NOT SODA).

I've started to get into the "use all parts of the buffalo" mentality, except not with buffalo. Roast a chicken, have roasted chicken. Remove all the meat, turn it into stock. Make soup with the stock, possibly with the chicken (this week it was tortilla soup, which I've just remembered I forgot to bring for lunch today.

It makes for cheap meals that I can feel better about because they're healthy (until you add the cheese) and not wasteful. And the stock takes hardly any preparation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Corrin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Traveller Werewolf - more games planned
badge
Still have werewolf games in sign-up.
mbmbmbmbmb
LudesFactor wrote:

You could become the neighborhood rice mogul ...

I think the shipping/packaging would make it less cost effective...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just put peanut butter cake batter in the oven in cupcake tins only half full. Here's to hoping they do't dry out and when covered with chocolate look like peanut butter cups! I hope the edges hold a crinkle. I'm so nervous! Experimental baking is bad for my blood pressure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristie Satterly
United States
Bailey
Colorado
flag msg tools
Run you clever boy, and REMEMBER!
badge
Well behaved women, seldom make history.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love baking. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kristiefix wrote:
I love baking. cool

i do too, i think it's fun. But when I am trying to do something and I don't really know how i get stressed

In fact, these puffed up a LOT more than i thought they would. I think i am going to have to cut about half of them off in order to make them the right size.

Which isnt terrile, it means i get to eat half of them tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love baking too! And roasting as well. Did you get a picture of the cakes, miraria?

I'm thinking I will bake something as a welcome home treat for Dennis tonight... shh, don't tell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So The peanut butter cup cakes were made and they ended up being a big hit. It took about 3 hours and I ended up with 17 cups so next time, probably would just make a big cake. But for Erin's birthday I wanted it to be like peanut butter cups themselves, not just cake.

The batter looked just like a bowl full of peanut butter when it was done. I was joking with a friend that I started with peanut butter, added a whole bunch of stuff, and ended with peanut butter.

So first they came out all puffed up.

so then I had to cut the tops off to make them flat and peanut butter cup shaped. They were in foil cupcake wrappers so they had the nice crinkly edges like a peanut butter cup.

The thing realized here is that the recipe I was using for the peanut butter cake gave the peanut butter in ounces and I didn't really know how much peanut butter to put in and didn't look it up and had put in 2 tablespoons too little. This meant the cake was vaguely(but not so much as to spoil it completely) floury. It was noticed by those taste testing with me that the bites that had more peanut butter chips were awesome. So a solution was devised. THis was where the chocolate was supposed to be poured over them but it was decided to melt some of the peanut butter chips with some butter and give a layer of that on top so every bite would be filled with peanut butter chip goodness.

THe one in the back really shows the crinkled edges.

Then came the layer of chocolate.

The chocolate lost the full definition of the crinkled edges, but they were still vaguely crinkled. Enough that you could still tell what they were supposed to be.

The next day when the chocolate had hardened-

This is where I think they look the most like peanut butter cups-

All in all i think it was successful. Probably will not do it again though. The peanut butter cake? definitely. This whole thing? nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mir, those cakes look amazing and delicious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
worshipsf wrote:
Mir, those cakes look amazing and delicious!

thanks! I enjoy trying new things with baking so it was fun to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a good pizza dough recipe? I have one that is OK, but it's not outstanding or anything. A long time ago I had the best recipe and it used mashed potatoes as an ingredient, but I've lost it.

Also, SeanP, I'm still waiting on the rye bread recipe you were going to send my way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple recipe that I made last night (Ruth gave me the directions). Good ol' Midwestern cooking--means it's made from pre-made ingredients and requires very little actual "cooking."

Pasta bake: I'm keeping the amounts of ingredients here vague because it's very "Just do what you like" and also depends on the size of your cooking dish.

Pasta (I prefer a shorter, thicker noodle than spaghetti/angel hair: I think Rigatoni works well, or Penne or Bowties)
Spaghetti Sauce
Cheese (A nice white cheese works well, especially one that's pre-sliced or is easily shreddable; I think Muenster's pretty much good with anything, but last night I made it with Colby Jack and it turned out well. Cheddar's good, too, of course)
Mushrooms
Seitan or fake beef crumbles (Obviously you can use real meat, too)

Pre-heat oven to 350F
Grill seitan and mushrooms. If you're using fake beef, no need to grill, just defrost it. (Part of the joy of pre-made fake meats: don't have to worry about salmonella if you don't get it to a high enough temperature.) (You don't HAVE to grill the mushrooms; if you like the thicker, chewier texture of more raw mushrooms, they'll be fine that way, too.)

Boil water, cook pasta according to box directions but take it out a minute or two early: you want it soft enough that it's edible but chewier than al dente, because it'll soften when baking.

Get a Pyrex baking dish. Mix pasta, sauce, mushrooms, and seitan or whatever. Put a layer of cheese on top. Use Pyrex lid or aluminum foil, bake at 350 for an hour.

Delicious pasta bake!

Done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valkerie32 wrote:
Does anyone have a good pizza dough recipe? I have one that is OK, but it's not outstanding or anything. A long time ago I had the best recipe and it used mashed potatoes as an ingredient, but I've lost it.

Also, SeanP, I'm still waiting on the rye bread recipe you were going to send my way.

I make everything without measuring, so I kinda punt when I write things down.

3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups warm water (depending upon room temperature and desired rising quickness, somewhere between 80 and 120 degrees)
.5 oz active dry yeast
1 tbs salt
2 tbs sugar
2 tbs dried basil (about half that if using minced fresh basil)
1 tbs garlic powder
3 tbs olive oil

Let yeast activate in 1/2 cup of warm water for at least 10 minutes. Mix dry ingredients
Add oil, yeast, and water. Mix for 5-8 minutes on low speed with dough hook, or by hand. When complete should form a ball. May require tweaking of extra flour or water for consistency.
Cut into 8 oz pieces for about 12" pizzas. 12 oz for 16".
Cover with cloth and let rise until about double in size, typically 2-3 hours depending upon room temperature and water temperature selected.

Probably some extra bits in there you already know, but I put them in for completeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StatSig wrote:
If you're using fake beef, no need to grill, just defrost it. (Part of the joy of pre-made fake meats: don't have to worry about salmonella if you don't get it to a high enough temperature.)

Believe this, and you will get sick eventually. Avoiding meats will help you avoid parasitic illnesses, but anything processed or packaged is a potential breeding ground for microbial contamination. Simple rule: if it gives you nutrition when you eat it, it is also an Old Country Buffet for most anything that will get you sick.

Certain items may be found only in some foods (Salmonella is chicken, dairy and eggs), but the vast majority of microbial contaminants come from one major source -- people. Any you can't cut people out of the production line.

The only reliable way to avoid Food Borne Illness is to properly clean all produce and properly cook all foods. Processed foods should be cooked to 165F/74C (you're welcome, people who use a sensible temperature scale) minimum.

And yes, everything does pretty much taste the same as a piece of cardboard if you cook everything to the recommended temps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Nuance over novelty
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... gluten free anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archidamia
United States
Hazel Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaiSaysPlayGo wrote:
Hmmm... gluten free anyone?

I have a co-worker who has siliac disease so I've made gluten free pie crust before but that's my only experience with gluten free cooking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.