Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Brass only once and it went over my head, but it looks like a good game. I wondered which game would be easier to grasp or have a shorter learning curve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AoI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AoI but not by much.

if your never wanting expansions then Brass is the better way to go. but i believe it's OOP.

AoI with expansion(s) is good. (apparently, i haven't played the expansions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AoI is a bit easier to grasp and more forgiving. There's only one phase, and the cards are a touch simpler to deal with. Any piece on the board will score VP. The foreign markets are cleaner. Loans can be taken at any time. Thematically, AoI makes less sense (you can take a loan to buy a factory, turn a profit and replay the loan in the same turn) but it's a more streamlined game. The only thing I sometimes miss from Brass is the income track, but otherwise I enjoy AoI better, I think.

It's important to realize that for games above a certain complexity, they will ALWAYS feel "over your head" on the first play! When I play a game the first time, I try to make sure i'm playing by the rules (at least by the end of the game) and try SOME strategy. I also try to become aware of other strategies I didn't pick.

All that said, if you still really think it's too hard, you may just not enjoy heavier economic games and should try something else. There are plenty of games available!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Age of Industry
thumbsup Cleaner design
thumbsup Easier to learn
thumbsup Expansions (including free Print-and-Play maps)
thumbsup More flexible player count (each map suits a different number of players)
thumbsup ~30min shorter
thumbsup Includes 2 maps
thumbsdown 1 of 2 included maps (Germany) is a bit dull

Brass
thumbsup Richer historical setting than most AoI maps
thumbsup Some find the two-phase model to be a really intriguing challenge
thumbsup Industries are more differentiated

One way to think of it is, Brass is a really great Age of Industry map, which is heavier, longer, and has more complex rules. Or Age of Industry is a Brass-like game where each map has its own flavor that makes them play differently than each other (but none of the maps are as rich as Brass).

To answer your question. Since you value shorter play and easier learning curve, Age of Industry is the clear winner there, out of the two. Even Age of Industry isn't an easy one to choke down, it's a complex game to wrap your head around. But it is easier to grasp than Brass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
I was asking this question myself 2 months ago - after reading thousand reviews and comparisons AoI won (honestly: I liked box more ). I dont regret that, not knowing what I'm missing - I think differences are mostly cosmetic - like the way you get loans - and you cant go wrong with this choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much i can add only that i bought brass somewhere in november for 7.5 euro and that still alot of them are around here in belgium.

Its the dutch version however. But everything in the game is language independent i think.
So far i only read the rules not played yet. Although i have it planned for soon. Rules are hard to grasp, so i will have lots of things to learn during first play i think.

From what i read so far it sure sounds very interesting to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.