Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's the situation, and the plan...

I'm going to run in the London 10k later this year with a group of people from my company, on behalf of Special Effect (a charity that raises funds to help disabled kids enjoy video games - we make videogames, so it's a charity close to our hearts). We're all expected to raise a certain amount of money for the charity, and I'm not good at asking people for money, so I decided to try to raise the money by publishing a card game instead.

Kickstarter is still effectively US-only, so Indiegogo seems to be the next best choice.

It will be a 54-card game about running. Running away from zombies.

I figure that I can give away a pdf version at US$5, and a physical copy for around the $13-15 mark, shipped anywhere. That's with printing via printerstudio (or Panda if orders pass around 1500), and a reasonable sum (all the profits) going to the charity.

Based on this, does anybody have any advice? Alternative printers? Suggestions for higher pledge levels and/or stretch goals?

Any feedback would be most appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, well done, excellent idea.

KAndrw wrote:
... and a physical copy for around the $13-15 mark, shipped anywhere.

Is this going to actually cover P&P? This is less than what most kickstarter projects charge for international shipping alone excluding the game. You don't want to be losing money on delivery, I'd get quotes for UK, EU, US, RotW, and make sure your funding levels cover that.

Anyway, as long as the graphics aren't too gruesome for my boys (one with a disability), consider my pledge on the way. Actually, I'll pledge anyway and play it with my brothers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what I would want to know? How much of each pledge is going to the charity. Like, support at the pnp level, and it all goes to charity. Support at the physical level (example, fifteen pounds) and ten pounds goes to the product, five goes to charity. That kind of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$13-15 should cover the game plus international P&P based on the research I've been doing.

Assuming a print run of at least 72 copies through printerstudio, and assuming a 20% hit for VAT when they enter the country, the per unit price will be around US$5-6. Rules sheet will be a neglegible cost, and because the whole package should clock in less than 200g, Royal mail suggests that they'll take £3.50 for postage worldwide. Add on about 10p for a padded envelope, and the postage comes in lower than US$6.

However, you make an excellent point, and I definitely won't be launching the campaign until I have confirmed costs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
You know what I would want to know? How much of each pledge is going to the charity. Like, support at the pnp level, and it all goes to charity. Support at the physical level (example, fifteen pounds) and ten pounds goes to the product, five goes to charity. That kind of thing.

That's a good idea.

I will make sure that I am completely clear that the campaign is 100% non-profit, and the the funds raised will be used to purchase no more units than are ordered. Although - there is a tipping point, where it becomes cheaper to do a 2000 unit order from Panda than to buy 1800 units from Pinterstudio - need to figure out a good way to express that, and stress that any leftover units will be sold for a flat $X+postage, with all $X going directly to charity.

Indiegogo and Paypal conspire to take just under 10% (much the same as Kickstarter and Amazon do), but I was aiming pretty much where you suggested - a minimum of $5 from each pledge goes to charity, probably with a sliding scale to encourage larger pledges (eg $15 for one copy, $27.50 for two, $40 for three, etc)

I'm hoping to convince some of the artists at work to put pen to tablet and produce the artwork, in which case there might be art rewards that could be offered at higher levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
great idea. There is a lot of zombie art out there, mabe yo can get existing images for cheap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've got a halfway-decent product on yours hands, I think you'd get a lot of support. If you had a really good product on your hands...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Devil
England
London
flag msg tools
Martin Wallace recently released Old Men of the Forest where all profits go to charity. The game is 65 cards which is close to what you would be offering. It may be worth dropping a curtesy mail to Treefrog Games concerning how many copies they printed/sold.

BGG shows less than 250 users owning a copy. Whilst not an accurate figure it does give a rough indication and throws up a red flag when you talk about printing around 2000 units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm ready to push the game out to blind testing now - would anybody be interested in giving the game a try?

The artwork is very placeholder (Miley Cyrus is the Tragic Teenage Girl, and Lucy Liu is playing the role of Quarrelling Academic), but the gameplay is something I could happily call final.

Please GeekMail me if you would like to test the game, and are prepared to commit to at least reading the rules, looking at the cards and giving feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.