Lord Limboldt
Germany
Köln / Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in the 1830 basic game you bid for the right to choose which Private companies (package) you want to buy (before the others).

Does everybody has to pay his bid, even the last/inferior bidder?

For example we bid (Player1) 5 (P2) 10 (P3) 20 (P1) pass (P2) pass, so P3 chooses first and pays 20 + Private companie(s), P2 pays 10 + PC and even P3 pays 5 + x ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Agius
United Kingdom
Brentford
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Limboldt wrote:
in the 1830 basic game you bid for the right to choose which Private companies (package) you want to buy (before the others).

Does everybody has to pay his bid, even the last/inferior bidder?

For example we bid (Player1) 5 (P2) 10 (P3) 20 (P1) pass (P2) pass, so P3 chooses first and pays 20 + Private companie(s), P2 pays 10 + PC and even P3 pays 5 + x ?

Only the winner pays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Limboldt
Germany
Köln / Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thank you, that is the way it also makes sense to me, but the (german) rules are not clear at this point. There are games where everybody pays, kind of a charge for forcing up the bids..

Just to make it perfect clear: The winners pay ?
(Because in the basic game you do not bid for a certain companie (package), you only bid for the right to buy first/second etc., so you only make one Auction to clarify the order of buying/choosing I think. Highest bidder, second highest bidder - "Looser"...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Agius
United Kingdom
Brentford
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Limboldt wrote:
Ok, thank you, that is the way it also makes sense to me, but the (german) rules are not clear at this point. There are games where everybody pays, kind of a charge for forcing up the bids..

Just to make it perfect clear: The winners pay :) ?
(Because in the basic game you do not bid for a certain companie (package), you only bid for the right to buy first/second etc., so you only make one Auction to clarify the order of buying/choosing I think. Highest bidder, second highest bidder - "Looser"...)

Sorry, I assumed we were talking about the standard game, the basic one I don't have rules for so I'll let someone else clarify that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
agius1520 is incorrect, I believe.

It sounds like you're talking about the Base Game rules from the latest Mayfair reprint. And I believe he mistook that you were asking about the classic (traditional) rules.

In the Base Game, all sets of privates are sold a fixed price (based on the number of players) but the order to buy them is auctioned off.

By these rules, all players must pay their bid plus the cost of the privates as stated in the chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Limboldt
Germany
Köln / Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

By these rules, all players must pay their bid plus the cost of the privates as stated in the chart.

This is the point the (apart from that good) example in the rule does not clarify.
But I suspected it is meant this way.
So the bidder who "looses" has to be very careful in this version,
because when the auction ends high and close it could happen that the winner may choose first for a very little difference and the "looser" may have to pay nearly as much as the winner... That was the point where I was not sure if that could be right or where the deeper sense of that method is... or we should read/play/prefer the Auction rule of the classic game next time...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
For new players, the outcome of the Basic game auction is less important than what they do with their companies.

It's a fine option for a first game but the next time you play, use the Classic auction and rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Limboldt
Germany
Köln / Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That`s right, in many games you have to learn about the value of what you bid for in the first games. And then you want a more clever system and you are happy if the game offers one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.