Flash Point: Fire Rescue» Forums » General

Subject: One small quibble. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just got the game today and MAN! I can't wait to dive in. Going over the back of the box's flavor text and the rules, I did notice something. You guys used the line "911 what is your emergency?" I used to be a 911 dispatcher and its actually "911 where is your emergency?" This is a small but important difference in the field of emergency communications. When you receive an emergency call for service sometimes you only have time for one question before you get disconnected in one way or another. And the most important piece of information one would need is where the incident is occurring. Knowing what is going on is important is important as well, but without knowing the location we wouldn't know where to send units to. With a location on an unknown situation, we can send law, fire and ems and cover all the bases. Better to send too may resources than send too few. I do also realize its more dramatic that way. Just something to think about.

Thanks again for a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
burnside986 wrote:
Just got the game today and MAN! I can't wait to dive in. Going over the back of the box's flavor text and the rules, I did notice something. You guys used the line "911 what is your emergency?" I used to be a 911 dispatcher and its actually "911 where is your emergency?" This is a small but important difference in the field of emergency communications. When you receive an emergency call for service sometimes you only have time for one question before you get disconnected in one way or another. And the most important piece of information one would need is where the incident is occurring. Knowing what is going on is important is important as well, but without knowing the location we wouldn't know where to send units to. With a location on an unknown situation, we can send law, fire and ems and cover all the bases. Better to send too may resources than send too few. Just something to think about.

Good to know as I did take some creative liberties on that sentence. Only twice has my phone called 911. Once from my cell phone in my pocket at legoland - and I think the 911 operator was able to access the phone's GPS somehow because they called right back and said it sounded like I was calling from legoland. The other time our son dialed, and hung up - 10 hours later the oakland police showed up at our house (now past midnight) with flash lights blinding our eyes through the front door - scared me half to death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
burnside986 wrote:
Just got the game today and MAN! I can't wait to dive in. Going over the back of the box's flavor text and the rules, I did notice something. You guys used the line "911 what is your emergency?" I used to be a 911 dispatcher and its actually "911 where is your emergency?" This is a small but important difference in the field of emergency communications. When you receive an emergency call for service sometimes you only have time for one question before you get disconnected in one way or another. And the most important piece of information one would need is where the incident is occurring. Knowing what is going on is important is important as well, but without knowing the location we wouldn't know where to send units to. With a location on an unknown situation, we can send law, fire and ems and cover all the bases. Better to send too may resources than send too few. Just something to think about.

Good to know as I did take some creative liberties on that sentence. Only twice has my phone called 911. Once from my cell phone in my pocket at legoland - and I think the 911 operator was able to access the phone's GPS somehow because they called right back and said it sounded like I was calling from legoland. The other time our son dialed, and hung up - 10 hours later the oakland police showed up at our house (now past midnight) with flash lights blinding our eyes through the front door - scared me half to death.

Yeah, most of the time when calls come in, the go through the ALI (Automatic Location Indicator) which cross references the numbers with the database to provide an address. But it dosn't always work, sadly. Lines can get crossed in their path to the 911 center and can give a false positive. As far as cell phones go, most of the time the 911 center can get an approximate Lat and Long and a call back number. And I have been on the other end of the 911 hang up and have sent the PD to a house at ungodly hours. So on behalf of the dispatchers: Sorry for waking you up and spooking you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
10 hours later, wow, I would hate to need them if it was a real emergency ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.