11 Posts

Cargo Noir» Forums » General

Subject: -- I got this game new, should I keep my copy or trade it? -- rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HHHHH
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, anyone play "Cargo Noir" got anything to say about it? I just got a new copy, I dunno whether I should trade it or keep it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Summit
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming you mean before opening it?

I will always try to play a copy of a game I own before trading it. The value of buying a game that I wind up trading is that I have gotten to try out a new game. That, to me, is worth the difference in value of a game that is 'in shrink' vs. 'like new'.

Play it. That is what games are for. Then decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Ledoux
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burn it.

Just kidding by the way (before anyone gets upset). But I really do hate that game. It has one of the dumbest central mechanics ever - you bid on your turn, then wait until your next turn to see if you win the auction and get the goods. If you've been outbid, you can then bid a higher amount on the same spot or go bid somewhere else, then . . . you guessed it . . . wait until your next turn to see if you've won the auction. I'm getting angry just talking about it. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Maloney
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cledoux wrote:
Burn it.

Just kidding by the way (before anyone gets upset). But I really do hate that game. It has one of the dumbest central mechanics ever - you bid on your turn, then wait until your next turn to see if you win the auction and get the goods. If you've been outbid, you can then bid a higher amount on the same spot or go bid somewhere else, then . . . you guessed it . . . wait until your next turn to see if you've won the auction. I'm getting angry just talking about it. angry

So basically you are saying that you don't like auctions. Um, ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never seen a game where opinions seem so diverse, some people love Cargo Noir and some hate it. We really like it at my house. It's a fun family game of set collection and an auction mechanic (which I usually don't like in games.) I like to watch my opponent squirm when I stack coins on a port he really wants! The game also has great components and artwork. Try it out before you trade it, and I suggest playing it at least 3 times as it does grow on you. Also, make absolutely sure you get the rules correct. It's one of those games where the rules are quite simple, but very easy to screw up. It will ruin the game if you play it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cledoux wrote:
It has one of the dumbest central mechanics ever - you bid on your turn, then wait until your next turn to see if you win the auction and get the goods. If you've been outbid, you can then bid a higher amount on the same spot or go bid somewhere else, then . . . you guessed it . . . wait until your next turn to see if you've won the auction. I'm getting angry just talking about it. angry

There's your problem right there, it's not an auction. It only devolves into an auction if you play poorly.

The central mechanic is actually you setting a price that's too high for anyone to beat, but low enough so that you can continue to have funds to do other things. If you play well, you'll collect new items every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of neutral on it.

I like the auction (or "avoid auction" - e.g. try to set a high enough price...) aspect... and the set conversion to points is elegantly executed... and the artwork is gorgeous (we each have our favourite "families")... and it's easy to teach new/non gamers... but we have a lot of other games I'd rather play that fill the role of a light 1.5 hour game for 2-5 players that are more fun!

In summary: There's nothing wrong with the game; it just lacks fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Ledoux
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indiexxx wrote:
So basically you are saying that you don't like auctions. Um, ok.

Actually, I love auctions (Ra, Modern Art, Vegas Showdown, Cyclades are all great games). But these auctions are practically simultaneous, and I can be back in the bidding within a matter of seconds.

An above poster is right in that Cargo Noir doesn't really have auctions, and I should have chosen my words better. So whatever you would call this bidding mechanic is one of the most tedious and frustrating things I've seen in a modern board game. If I don't figure the right price, then as a punishment I have a turn (or multiple turns maybe) where I don't get anything - that's just not fun. I guess the little boats are cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Knox
msg tools
mb
I played for the first time last night and thought the game broken. I went second and would wind up with a time wasting and occasionally expensive bidding war with the first player while the last play got for a minimum bid any and everything else. He won handily no surprise. Unless we missed something in the game I would insist on playing last or find something else to play. My $.02 worth and I may owe you change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BalrogJDK wrote:
I went second and would wind up with a time wasting and occasionally expensive bidding war with the first player while the last play got for a minimum bid any and everything else. He won handily no surprise. Unless we missed something in the game I would insist on playing last or find something else to play.

Playing order is completely irrelevant in this game, all players are in exactly the same situation no matter if 1st or 4th:

After player 1 bids, he must wait until players 2,3, and 4 bid before he gets his stuff.
After player 2 bids, he must wait until players 3,4, and 1 bid before he gets his stuff.
After player 3 bids, he must wait until players 4,1, and 2 bid before he gets his stuff.
After player 4 bids, he must wait until players 1,2, and 3 bid before he gets his stuff.

If one player ran away with the game, then it's simply because he played better. He picked items to bid on that the others didn't want, or he put bids on the table that were high enough to cause the other players to go elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan De Moura
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mb
hi guys

I must say, i just do not understand. There is more than bidding in this game. If you get a syndicate you get paid for the bids you pull out of. If you put five boats on the trading post you can collect five tiles without ever being involved in a bid. You can put five boats in Macau and collect 10 coins to become unbeatable in an auction. I just finished playing with my kids and the last two turns were almost devoid of bidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.