Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) When dealing out the 7 project ship tiles, when do I place the "special" single tile, 1st or 7th? In other words, at the beginning of the dealing or at the end (or perhaps stick it in its place in the middle of the upper 6 dealings, I don't know?)

2) The rules state to place the VdGT on the right spot and flip over to the left spot just beside it. Does it really make a difference if I reverse it? My mind just likes to read things from LEFT to RIGHT. Not changing a thing about game play, is this a non-issue?

3) Similarly to question 2, the rules refer to the recruitment sections for sailors as sections 1-4 going from right to left. Here again, if I didn't change a thing about game play but simply referred to the LEFTmost section as "section 1" and move to the far RIGHT as "section 4", would that be problematic in any way?

Thanks! This game looks great and I can't wait to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadu
Brazil
São Gonçalo
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
badge
Spectreman fan!
mbmbmbmbmb
Im not a expert on this game, but Im think I can help with these questions.

1) During setup you can place it at your choice, its not explicity on rules the exact moment that you have spot it. But during next rounds you must place it during beggining of dealing. Its important due Roman numbers on these tiles due order of appearence of them.

2) I think its ok using from left to right that will not change the Vasco da Gama Tile effect if all players are aware of it. Note that the Vasco da Gama Tile itself has a arrow pointing to right to help remember the "correct" side.

3) Again I think its not will change gameplay. All recruitment sections have the same number of spots. You can use in this will without issues. At least I cant see problems with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rhodes
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
1) When dealing out the 7 project ship tiles, when do I place the "special" single tile, 1st or 7th? In other words, at the beginning of the dealing or at the end (or perhaps stick it in its place in the middle of the upper 6 dealings, I don't know?)

Deal the "already built" project tile first, as it will always be the lesser of the two possible "ages" of projects to be seen in a given turn.

Or so I believe.

Also, I don't believe direction matters on the other issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:

Dealing the São Gabriel Project first is required, as the others said.

Quote:
2) The rules state to place the VdGT on the right spot and flip over to the left spot just beside it. Does it really make a difference if I reverse it? My mind just likes to read things from LEFT to RIGHT. Not changing a thing about game play, is this a non-issue?

Direction doesn't really matter as long as you do it correctly (lots of folks get it wrong, and have a 2nd tile on the left in turn 1). In the setup, you just turn over the tile, and don't move it. In round 1, you move *that* tile, and turn over a second tile.

Note that if you do it by the rules, the tile currently in use is on the left, while the future is on the right, which does seem to fit your left to right mind.

Quote:
3) Similarly to question 2, the rules refer to the recruitment sections for sailors as sections 1-4 going from right to left. Here again, if I didn't change a thing about game play but simply referred to the LEFTmost section as "section 1" and move to the far RIGHT as "section 4", would that be problematic in any way?

Again, doesn't matter, as long as you're consistent, and use the proper number for the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply, guys. One more silly question that I'm SURE was address already in some other thread (you know how it is - it only makes sense in your head if YOU ask it a certain way...)

My understanding of the rules is as follows:

When you send a ship out (with captain and all) and place it on a landing strip, you receive the points printed on the landing strip square AND whatever "bonus" is printed at the end of that particularly landing strip, right?

But only when you score for "complete" landings do you score whatever is PRINTED on the SHIP TILE and the points printed on the landing strip? Is this correct, or do you score what's printed on the ship tile when you send out a ship? Another thread made it sound like you score the ship tile at both times or something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
When you send a ship out (with captain and all) and place it on a landing strip, you receive the points printed on the landing strip square AND whatever "bonus" is printed at the end of that particularly landing strip, right?

Correct, you get the points under the ship, and the bonus in the square to the left.

Quote:
But only when you score for "complete" landings do you score whatever is PRINTED on the SHIP TILE and the points printed on the landing strip? Is this correct, or do you score what's printed on the ship tile when you send out a ship? Another thread made it sound like you score the ship tile at both times or something...

In Navigation, you get the bonus in the upper right of all ships, a coin, a point, etc.

Then, for full areas only, you get the points shown to the left of the area (or right for Calicut, darn exception).

You never get the big number printed on the ship as points, that only determines which squares the ship can go on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right right, bonuses on ship tiles regardless of "complete" lanes, but bonus on landing strips only on completed lanes.

Number on ship tile never = points, just landing spot limit. Got it all, thanks for clarifying!

*phew* There sure is a lot to keep track of in this game. Only four spots to go in (projects/recruitment/characters/exploring; but in terms of places within a "worker placement"-type game, each spot has many more little sub-choices that need to be made or considered. Add to that the whole element of timing and you have a wholly engaging and meaty euro!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.