17 Posts

Wiz-War (eighth edition)» Forums » General

Subject: How to avoid dead player boredom? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a 5P game tonight (using extra bits for fifth P). If a wizard does early, the player will be sst twiddling his thumbs waiting for the game to end. Can anyone suggest a way to avoid this situation?

I was thinking of using the Treasure zhunter varisnt and having a dead wizard respawn at his Home Square with no cards, but this might discourage attacks. Maybe up the required VPs and not use Treasire Hunters?

Any comments? Ideally, I'd like everyone to be able to keep playing until someone hits the Winning VP amount.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaj
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
Had too much GG...
badge
Had too much GG...
mbmbmbmbmb
What could be fun but requires major rule modifications would be to do something like in Super Bomberman 5. In Super Bomberman 5 a player that gets knocked out appears outside the normal play area where he can throw bombs at the remaining opponents, if he kills someone he replaces that player and returns to the main battle.

Don't know exactly how it would work in Wiz-War. Just an idea that came to me reading your post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I never thought the game was long enough to worry about player elimination. This isn't Merchants and Marauders. Next time be more careful.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't play with five.

Play fast.

Remember that the name of the game is Wiz-War, not Wiz-Turtle. Get stuck in & take your medicine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
Ideally, I'd like everyone to be able to keep playing until someone hits the Winning VP amount.

Removing player elimination will make the game interminable. It also removes the delicious risk inherent in the game—it's a fight to the death, not until someone gets a boo-boo and needs to sit down for a minute. You can be set up for the win, drawing down on a wizard limping along with his guts in his hands while yours contain terrible power and POP he paints the ceiling with your miserable innards.

In my brief experience with this we've found it to work as a violent filler—neither of our three-player games last night took longer than 10 minutes.

Of course, you can play it however you like—and more power to you—but I get the impression this works best as a brief, bloody affair.

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
:star: Don't play with five.

Lies. Five is the best for Wiz-War. You get the perfect layout where everyone is adjacent, and the odd number of players encourages shifting play instead of pairing up on opposite sides of the board or two-on-one in a 3p game. Six can sometimes be too slow, but five is my preferred number for Wiz-War.

Other than that, HiveGod is spot-on. If you're playing with FFG's "2 VP to win" system, the game should be over before the dead guy even figures out how to get the videogames working on the TV.

Then play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not Sure wrote:
HiveGod wrote:
Don't play with five.

Lies. Five is the best for Wiz-War.

Heresy! Three is the best number! The more players you add, the slower it goes. (And until FFG changed it, three was a perfect layout where everyone was adjacent.)

Oh yeah, to answer the OP: "don't die," ha ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the old days the first player eliminated just sat and watched (with kibbitzing). It was part of the game. When other players started to get close to being out another game of some sort was prepared for play.

I do recall one time when eliminated players started writing up entrants for a game of Car Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
They can go in the back and box some comics.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/85d671c360/warren-the-ape-d...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"hi, i'd like to play this way, can anyone suggest ways I can do this?"
"don't play that way"

Cheers guys. I was actually looking for comments on number of cards to start a respawned wizard on from some more veteran players than myself, or other advice on balance after respawning, but if all You've got is 'don't respawn', then I guess I'll have to work it out myself.

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
but if all You've got is 'don't respawn', then I guess I'll have to work it out myself.

There you go! Now you've got something to do after being eliminated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is part of the 'Player Elimination' genre (before there was a genre of 'player non-elimination' games). Part of the victory conditions include eliminating other players.

I suppose you could develop your own version of Fantasy Frag s eliminated players can be re-spawned and keep playing (or find a copy of Duel of Ages Set 1: Worldspanner and some of its expansions). Perhaps a game like Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game (which I enjoy a lot) would work for you?

Another idea for you would be to play what are called 'cooperative games' where all player's win or lose as a group. Fortune and Glory can be played cooperatively or competitively, and players are not eliminated in either case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
"don't play that way"

Cheers guys. I was actually looking for comments on number of cards to start a respawned wizard on from some more veteran players than myself, or other advice on balance after respawning, but if all You've got is 'don't respawn', then I guess I'll have to work it out myself.

Eco

Alright, if you want something more serious, give each player a "hit list". They each have all four other player's names (or three, since in your other thread you said the fifth guy wimped out). The first person to kill all the wizards on their hit list wins. Killing the same wizard twice doesn't count. I'd play with "Deadly Treasures" as well, with a kill going to each person who has a treasure-killed wizard's treasure on their base.

Respawn on death with five cards and both your treasures restored to their start locations. Expect this game to be long.

How's that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Sure wrote:
Lies. Five is the best for Wiz-War. You get the perfect layout where everyone is adjacent, and the odd number of players encourages shifting play instead of pairing up on opposite sides of the board or two-on-one in a 3p game. Six can sometimes be too slow, but five is my preferred number for Wiz-War.

We had a GREAT game with five. Four players had a good path to treasures. The fifth didn't. Except that the fifth DID have a great path to one of the other player's Home Bases. Hilarity ensued.

Don't worry about player elimination. By the time that happens, the game's almost over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Sure wrote:
Ecosmith wrote:
"don't play that way"

Eco

Alright, if you want something more serious, give each player a "hit list". They each have all four other player's names (or three, since in your other thread you said the fifth guy wimped out). The first person to kill all the wizards on their hit list wins. Killing the same wizard twice doesn't count. I'd play with "Deadly Treasures" as well, with a kill going to each person who has a treasure-killed wizard's treasure on their base.

Respawn on death with five cards and both your treasures restored to their start locations. Expect this game to be long.

How's that?

That's more like it. I think we'll do that.

Cheers

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Rieder
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
I think there is no problem with respawning. If you are killed, start again from your own base with, say, 10 life and discard your hand, maintained spells and items. If you carried a treasure, drop it on the spot.

That way you have several disadvantages but you are still capable of winning the game. And off course, the one who killed you gains a victory point. You are set back, but not out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petromir Brookendil
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Saxofaxo wrote:
I think there is no problem with respawning. If you are killed, start again from your own base with, say, 10 life and discard your hand, maintained spells and items. If you carried a treasure, drop it on the spot.

That way you have several disadvantages but you are still capable of winning the game. And off course, the one who killed you gains a victory point. You are set back, but not out of the game.

The counter to that is that suddenly springing back to health can be quite an advantage, especially with a teleport back to your home base.

Games with respawns play very differently to those without, and feel different. Heroic death or glory attacks carry far more excitement when they are death or glory. That isn't to say ones better than the other, but a game built with elimination being such a core concept is very different with it removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.