Popular Tags: [View All]
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that during an attack a tie goes to the defender, but the attack examples show the tie going to the attacker? I'm inclined to go with the defender since this is historic Rusk battle but I wanted to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
but the attack examples show the tie going to the attacker

I don't see this at all? What page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the dice colors are confusing. I think in the old Risk edition we played when we were young, red was the attacker and the defender had blue dice. I am not sure, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of the examples in the rules show the defender winning tied dice:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my problem! In my head and in the old game red = attacker. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
The first customization I did for this game was swap dice for the "right" colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
define "wrong".

the definition you're using seems to be "different from the way it was before".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see it as a significant change. I never really pay attention to dice colors anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Alan Sayers
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
define "wrong".

That basically is the definition of wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jadusty wrote:
marhawkman wrote:
define "wrong".

No, it's not. It is just different. Not every set of Risk used that convention in the past. So why would that one configuration be the right one and every other configuration be wrong?

Especially since the color is irrelevant to gameplay. It is only the number of dice that matter. If you had asked me before this thread what color dice the attacker used and what color the defender used, I would have had no idea and could only guess.

We never paid attention to the color because it was the number of dice that mattered, not the color. 'Roll whichever dice you want as long as you are rolling the right number' is how I have always played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
This game is so far removed from Vanilla Risk that it makes sense even the dice don't follow "tradition."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
jadusty wrote:
marhawkman wrote:
define "wrong".

No, it's not. It is just different. Not every set of Risk used that convention in the past. So why would that one configuration be the right one and every other configuration be wrong?

Especially since the color is irrelevant to gameplay. It is only the number of dice that matter. If you had asked me before this thread what color dice the attacker used and what color the defender used, I would have had no idea and could only guess.

We never paid attention to the color because it was the number of dice that mattered, not the color. 'Roll whichever dice you want as long as you are rolling the right number' is how I have always played.

Also, what is even more important is who is rolling the dice, colors are not relevant at all !!

My old Risk set has "just" 6 plain regular white dice. We've survived ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
I guess that old version of Risk contained the "wrong" number of dice too.

Nope, the set came with 6 plain white dice, 3 for each side of the battle. If less were needed, then less were used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
It was only designed for 2-player?

Why would six dice = two players but five dice = more players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
Shirley, it wouldn't. It would make more sense if that version of Risk was designed for 2-player that it only had 6 white dice in it. With two players, you can both keep 3 dice in front of you and roll 1/2/3 dice as appropriate when you are the attacker/defender. There is no need to pass dice back and forth.

With a 3+ player version of risk, you must pass dice unless your version of Risk comes with more than 6 dice. If 6 dice isn't the "wrong" number of dice, then it would make more sense that the version of risk that it was used in was intended for 2-player games. More than 5 dice are clearly not needed unless you are playing multiplayer.

It was the original version of Risk that came with six dice - five of two different colors came along much later (I think when they changed to models instead of abstract plastic or the original wood).

I think it was more a case of 'the more dice the better' than anything to do with player numbers.

But the point is: there is no "wrong" number. Only people that started with the 5 dice of two different colors think that is the "right" configuration. If you started with 6 white, the five dice was just different, not wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
Are you so certain that the 1959 version came with 6 white dice? What is your reference for this information? All the information that I have heard (besides the one BGG user) regarding the dice is that the original came with 3 white and 3 red dice.

The game that Risk is based on appears to come with 3 red and 3 black.

Heck, no I am not sure (especially not the original French game). That is before my time. I do know the early US versions had six dice. I am pretty sure the abstract plastic pieces came with six white but whether that started with that set or was started later in the wood cube sets earlier, I don't know.

Edit:

Ok, I really don't know. I know I and a couple of my friends had sets with six white and the plastic pieces when I was a kid but it appears number and colors varied depending on the edition:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
CapNClassic wrote:
Are you so certain that the 1959 version came with 6 white dice? What is your reference for this information? All the information that I have heard (besides the one BGG user) regarding the dice is that the original came with 3 white and 3 red dice.

The game that Risk is based on appears to come with 3 red and 3 black.

Heck, no I am not sure (especially not the original French game). That is before my time. I do know the early US versions had six dice. I am pretty sure the abstract plastic pieces came with six white but whether that started with that set or was started later in the wood cube sets earlier, I don't know.

Edit:

Ok, I really don't know. I know I and a couple of my friends had sets with six white and the plastic pieces when I was a kid but it appears number and colors varied depending on the edition:

surprise A SIX player edition!??! COOL!!! OOH! and it looks like it had translucent red dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Alan Sayers
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
I guess that old version of Risk contained the "wrong" number of dice too.

Nope. All subsequent Risk sets have the wrong number! They've gotten cheap, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Alan Sayers
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
My remarks about "wrong" die color and number were merely in jest. That gives me an idea about an interesting poll....

And my definition of 'wrong' was also mostly in jest. ;-) If I wasn't open to trying new forms of Risk, I certainly wouldn't play Risk Legacy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Alan Sayers
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
It was only designed for 2-player?

Classic Risk is by far the best when played with 2 players. My oldest wooden set is for 6 players though (just like the one pictured above), and it has 3 red and 3 white (actually, yellow with age) dice.

Then they came out with those plastic pieces, and that was wrong! (Even worse, the changed pink pieces to brown, and then grey!) ((Worse of all was dumping the original French rules, although translating them into English was a good move.))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.