Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Rune wars vs Mage Knight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there aren't similar games. But they kinda have a similar price. And are both fantasy games at least

Thing is, what doesn't interest me much at all in Mage Knight is the "solo around with your character, first one who complete the objective is the winner", at least what it seems to be. I would probably prefer to play with the people I'm playing with.

So, with the cult of the new and the "low" rating of rune wars, is Mage Knight really better?


In Rune wars at least you play with the other players, right?





(It would be interesting to hear opinions on Agricola vs Puerto Rico vs Eclipse as the euro leaders to but I'll take that another time )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Mage Knight is clearly the better choice. There are many senarios to play, and you can incorporate the Player vs. Player variant in any of the senarios. I honestly have not played a game where it finished because a player completed an objective, my games have always ended because the rounds have ran out. At which point the VP's are dispersed based on how well you played the game.

Mage Knight has made Runebound its bitch!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
Mage Knight is clearly the better choice. There are many senarios to play, and you can incorporate the Player vs. Player variant in any of the senarios. I honestly have not played a game where it finished because a player completed an objective, my games have always ended because the rounds have ran out. At which point the VP's are dispersed based on how well you played the game.

Mage Knight has made Runebound its bitch!
You don't mind the going around doing your thing nature of it?

Sure the "exploring the world" part seem kinda fun to but I don't know

But you think it would be better than runewars? I didn't said runebound, though runebound would be a more similar game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
jjloc wrote:
Mage Knight is clearly the better choice. There are many senarios to play, and you can incorporate the Player vs. Player variant in any of the senarios. I honestly have not played a game where it finished because a player completed an objective, my games have always ended because the rounds have ran out. At which point the VP's are dispersed based on how well you played the game.

Mage Knight has made Runebound its bitch!
You don't mind the going around doing your thing nature of it?

Sure the "exploring the world" part seem kinda fun to but I don't know

But you think it would be better than runewars? I didn't said runebound, though runebound would be a more similar game


I meant Rune Wars. blush
If hunting down your oppnents is your goal then Mage Knight probably isn't for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jjloc wrote:
I meant Rune Wars. blush
If hunting down your oppnents is your goal then Mage Knight probably isn't for you.
My goal is to kill all humans but there are no Bender game

Chaos in the old world is as close as you get! ;D
Poisonous reptiles against those darn mammals in Dominant species maybe.

You think Mage Knight is great anyhow? Mage knight got a theme which interest me more than Earth Reborn at least. Which is also there with the "big games", but people seem to like that one to and at least there's player vs player conflict. Need to find some fresh reviews of Mage knight
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Finley
United States
Aston
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
I haven't played Mage Knight, But Runewars is a great game.In the vanilla game there is of course the area control strategy game element that makes up it's core foundation, but there is also a hero "adventuring" element that is vital to getting the game winning resources. I've heard some folk say that the adventuring aspect feels tacked on, but I've never thought that. It's just hero's doing their thing for their nation in the face of a larger war. Banners of War adds the option to make heroes commanders of your armies, which is pretty neat from what I've tried of it so far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
jjloc wrote:
I meant Rune Wars. blush
If hunting down your oppnents is your goal then Mage Knight probably isn't for you.
My goal is to kill all humans but there are no Bender game

Chaos in the old world is as close as you get! ;D
Poisonous reptiles against those darn mammals in Dominant species maybe.

You think Mage Knight is great anyhow? Mage knight got a theme which interest me more than Earth Reborn at least. Which is also there with the "big games", but people seem to like that one to and at least there's player vs player conflict. Need to find some fresh reviews of Mage knight


I have played Earth Reborn as well and like it too. If you going for beating up you opponent type of game then I would definately try out Earth Reborn.

Earth Reborn and Mage Knight are obviously not comparable, but both are great for what they do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a PVP blast-a-thon, Mage Knight isn't it.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muziq
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own(ed) and played Runewars, Mage Knight and Earth Reborn. I've traded away both Mage Knight and Earth Reborn; Runewars will stay in my collection untill I'm either too old (90+) to carry the huge box around or they come out with Runewars second edition.

All three games are fiddly (ER is the biggest offender), all three games can feel epic and take a long time to play. Mage Knight and Earth Reborn will give you head aches (Earth Reborn mostly for the ridiculously long set up time sorting out the right tiles) but Runewars is a blast from the first turn to the last and you'll want to play it again immediately (but you won't 'cause you need another 3-4 hours)! In other words: Runewars all the way!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Thompson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely go with both!

But really, they're both great games and you can't really go wrong. Runewars feels "more fun" to me and has more player interaction. Mage Knight is the deeper game and will probably have more replayability.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is for Runewars.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Waeber
United States
Milford
OH
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned this earlier, but they really are apples and oranges. I personally don't think Runewars has gotten anything close to the amount of love and attention it deserves, and it's one of my favorite dudes-on-a-map style games. If you want conflict with a surprising amount of finesse, absolutely go for it, it's way better than its rating would indicate.

To speak briefly in favor of Mage Knight Board Game, it has more conflict than you would think, but it's mainly conflict of opportunism than directly. It's an amusing parallel, but think of Agricola: although it has a reputation for being "multiplayer solitaire," people who play it well will tell you that it's brutally competitive. The feel is quite different, but much of doing well in MK is about benefiting from the work your opponents do, taking their opportunities before they do, and controlling the flow and shape of the map to benefit you.

There are PVP rules for MK, but we find that PVP is rarely profitable even when it's an option. It's actually ok early, in that it may give you a chance to take an action which earns you fame instead of just treading water, or push people off high-value spaces, like dungeons. However, in the late game, it just seems like mutually assured destruction in most cases. While you are beating each other's faces in, wasting resources and cards for a pittance of points, someone else is conquering the cities for infinitely more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maxx
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the key differences between these game are their genres.

"Mage Knight" (MK) is more of an RPG board game a la "Magic Realm."
"Rune Wars" (RW) falls into the wargame category like "War of the Ring"
"Earth Reborn" (ER) is a essentially a very detailed skirmish game a la "Doom" or "Space Hulk."

Obviously each has unique elements that distinguish the game from their brethren, which is why you might want to own them.

MK plays more like an RPG. The players are heroes competing on a quest (gathering allies, treasures, powers) towards some ultimate goal (e.g. capture the city). There's very little need for PVP, although you can, as others have said, it's really not the focus of the game.

RW plays like a wargame with some sprinklings of empire building and hero questing. It really does capture a rather epic fantasy feel and I too have been surprised at its lack of popularity. In RW players control a fantasy nation (Men, bad men, elves, undead) with armies full of units with unique powers. The "Banners of War" expansion also really enhances the game. But overall you feel like a king or emperor or liche-lord conquering the world. In RW it's PVP all day long with heavy doses of a good ol' "Hulk smash!" kinda feel as you lead your dragon or vampires or giant eagles on attacks against your enemy whilst your heroes duel to the death over magic items and the coveted dragon runes.

ER plays like a minis game. There is a map. It's scenario based. You have heroes and foes with stats. You can move X spaces. You shoot weapons that do X damage. ER also has a lot of other cool things you can do (interrogate or even torture secrets out of your opponent), which might make you smile. Some have compared it to a first-person shooter turned into a board game. It's all PVP because it's two player-- one side are the sorta good guys, the other are the mostly bad guys. It's an awesome game, but as you can see, a very different game experience than the other two.

I guess, you really have to think about which genre of game you enjoy the most and see if MK falls into that arena.

For my own two cents-- If you really like hosing your opponents and don't mind when it's done to you, you might try "Spartacus." It's full of backstabbing, hack-n-slashing, double-crossing goodness, and just might satisfy your board-gamer battle-lust.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Necro thread.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Clash of Cultures as a better alternative to Rune Wars?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasabi_Eater wrote:
All three games are fiddly....


Mage Knight fiddly? I wouldn't say so. Complicated, definitely, and harder to explain than to grasp, but not fiddly.

I recommend you spend some time with Arkham Horror. No other game will ever seem fiddly again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys all do realize this thread is from 2012 right? . EARLY 2012 at that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:
You guys all do realize this thread is from 2012 right? . EARLY 2012 at that.
Don't worry about that. I'm still watching and still haven't bought any game

Though the idea was to actually GET earth reborn, not convinced about rune wars even though it may be an awesome game and I really like the look of it but in average most people seem to think twilight imperium III is the better and bigger game and that rune wars second edition take as long time to play anyway. The problem with TI:III though is that it's so popular that people who want to play it likely already have access to it. Or at least someone of them.

Finally for Mage knight I don't know. I had removed any wishes of it due to it seem so very solitary but then I got duel of ages and kinda thought that maybe mage knight was a good game for actual adventuring.

So. No game of them has been bought. I don't know how long and if ER is much to have. Especially since everyone complain about the darkness of the tiles. and yeah, RW, who knows.



As for Chaos in the old world I kinda wonder if I should had got the more massive setup of Chtulhu wars.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Have you considered Clash of Cultures as a better alternative to Rune Wars?
The biggest reason why I haven't considered Clash of cultures is that I'm not much of a fan of Merchants & Marauders and I assume I wouldn't be much of a fan of Clash of cultures either.

Can't say I remember much about how it played. Haven't played it myself.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Finally for Mage knight I don't know. I had removed any wishes of it due to it seem so very solitary but then I got duel of ages and kinda thought that maybe mage knight was a good game for actual adventuring.


I rather liked my play of a co-op scenario, and no, I will not play it with more than 2.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.