Hide
13 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Forbidden Alchemy in fan-made scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberta Yang
msg tools
When writing custom scenarios, there's always a question in the background: is it all right to use Forbidden Alchemy components? I think Forbidden Alchemy has some good ideas in it, and some really nice pieces. The tiles are gorgeous, the side-effects are great, and the official expansion scenarios really under-use the Byakhee and Crawling Ones. Being able to include pieces from FA in custom scenarios opens up some really interesting design space.

The problem is that not everybody owns Forbidden Alchemy. So there is a choice: stick to writing base game scenarios and pretend those awesome Forbidden Alchemy components don't exist, or write scenarios using them and immediately deny half the fanbase the ability to play the scenario.

One could conceive of a third option: write Forbidden Alchemy scenarios, but also include conversions of them designed to work with just the base game. The problem is that this generally leads to one version or the other being watered-down. If Forbidden Alchemy is truly essential to the scenario, then the base-only version might still be technically be playable, but it will be missing the soul of what made the scenario good in the first place, so why bother? Conversely, if the base-only version is great, then the Forbidden Alchemy components are more tacked-on than truly essential to the scenario, so they're still not being used to their full potential. (Which is actually what I've been going with so far - writing base game scenarios with a couple of Forbidden Alchemy-friendly options tacked on, like the ability to add True Magick to the map.)

So, what do you all think the best thing to do is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a sneaking suspicion that people who are playing this enough to use the fan based scenarios are going to also be the people who will buy the expansion. Just a thought. Why wouldn't you use all the tools in the cabinet, if you have them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
That's true of some people, but others, frustrated by the expansions' high prices and inconsistent quality, avoid purchasing them and turn to custom scenarios as a free alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Schulteis
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would make the best scenario you can, even if it includes FA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
salty53 wrote:
So, what do you all think the best thing to do is?

Write what you want and what you enjoy Don't worry about what you might perceive the demand is for FA or non-FA scenarios. You don't owe anyone anything when it comes to spending your own time in what is a hobby.

While I do not own FA, I am interested in fan-made scenarios. How can I begrudge the effort you are going to put in if you decide to make an FA scenario. From my point of view it would be nice if it were non-FA or included hooks to allow it to be converted to the base game but I am not the one spending the time and effort. If you also include a base game scenario now and then, my gain.

In this forum alone, I enjoy your input to the discussion and topics. You creating FA-only scenarios won't change that, at least I hope not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thechairman wrote:
I would make the best scenario you can, even if it includes FA.

This. A hundred times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the bits guy
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that a mixture of MoM base-only and FA scenarios would naturally be produced. I am sure for one creator that submits a FA scenario there will still be others creating for the base game only. The more variety the better

PS:
BTW, I created the MoM DIY map and card kits in the files section with precisely this idea in mind, to make the 'sandbox' that is MoM even more accessible. I am really impressed by the great use the BGG community (and the OP in particular) made of the kit!
Although I still don't own it, I would love to create and share a map kit for Forbidden Alchemy, if someone has the scans of the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found it's easier to design scenarios using the cards and boards from FA because there are more options - in particular the extra lock and obstacle cards help.

So - yes, I would recommend using the extra components, but then I'm slightly biased as I own FA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am all for using everything the game has to offer in order to create and distribute user created content. However, with the errors and mistakes printed in the original December 2011 copies of Forbidden Alchemy, many players do not have a proper functioning copy of the game. Those who do purchased it at its release, contacted the game manf. and recently received replacement components. I still dont see the game available for purchase with fully corrected components included. As soon as I do, I will obtain a copy, and then can implement user created content which includes FA content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the bits guy
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I will soon modify my DIY Map kit for MoM to include the FA tiles. Give me a few days.
(Thanks to BGG user Iammars)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Well, that was quite an overwhelmingly one-sided response; looks like I'll be working on Forbidden Alchemy scenarios next, then. And if matildadad's kit will be supporting their map tiles now, then that will make things much easier.

Thanks, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the bits guy
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The updated map kit has been accepted by the BGG moderators and is now up, now including the Forbidden Alchemy tiles. Enjoy!

MANSIONS OF MADNESS – DIY STORY KIT (maps) - version 2.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Jefferson
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. More of everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.