Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Today, for 4 hours only.

Use code: ARTPRINTED4U

High Frontier poster map here: http://www.zazzle.com/high_frontier_poster_reprint-228261280....

Just bought the 60"×40" map, the largest size, for $33, including shipping.

Somebody on the High Frontier Yahoo! group just pointed out this promotion as well: purchase $30 of Zazzle credit for $15. It says 'cannot be combined with other offers', but I'm not sure whether that means with other Google offers (possible, but less likely), or with Zazzle promotions (probably).

Ah, also from the Y!G:
Quote:
Shipping is excluded from the Google offer, so unless you upgrade the paper you won't meet the $30+ requirement. Also, if Google offers work like Groupon, you won't get your discount code until some time after purchasing the deal. The 50% poster sale will have ended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Be about $47 if you want the semi-glossy paper instead of the matte 'value poster paper'. I went for matte, myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
MODS, PLEASE leave this up until 2:00 CST. This is an incredibly brief promotion, and no one who's been waiting for months for the half-off poster deal so they can get the map will see it in Hot Deals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Manes
United States
Chico
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question for those who've already got a map:

What paper type did you get and how do you like it?

Edit:
I'm debating on going 4'x3' value paper matte or archival heavyweight matte.

Edit 2:
Given the price difference (an order of magnitude), is the heavyweight paper that much nicer?

Edit 3:
Thanks for the heads up! Pulled the trigger on the 48"x32" value poster matte. I couldn't justify the extra expense of the heavyweight paper, but I'm stoked to have a huge & seamless play surface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
If you've got plexiglas (say, for wargame paper maps) like I do, that's why I'm just going with normal matte. My plexi will be holding down the map anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Which scale of poster is the closest match to the actual board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Hmm. Do you think it would be skewed? I can't imagine that. I wonder whether it just gets cut to size; perhaps the sizes listed are just standard Zazzle sizes.

Additionally, I'm not sure anyone can answer.

The poster map is the original board + the expansion + additional material available only in the poster map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Somebody on the High Frontier Yahoo! group just pointed out this promotion as well: purchase $30 of Zazzle credit for $15. It says 'cannot be combined with other offers', but I'm not sure whether that means with other Google offers (possible, but less likely), or with Zazzle promotions (probably).

Ah, also from the Y!G:
Quote:
Shipping is excluded from the Google offer, so unless you upgrade the paper you won't meet the $30+ requirement. Also, if Google offers work like Groupon, you won't get your discount code until some time after purchasing the deal. The 50% poster sale will have ended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Hmm. Do you think it would be skewed? I can't imagine that. I wonder whether it just gets cut to size; perhaps the sizes listed are just standard Zazzle sizes.
I'm not worried about it being skewed - it's more a matter of playability versus table size. There's no way the 60x40 will fit on any table I've got, but I don't want to downsize it below the original size and risk making it too small to use.

Granted, I've never actually played the game yet, but I was literally within a day or two of pulling the trigger on getting a copy. Getting the poster at the same time would be one heck of a sweetener!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Aha—I see. In that case, your shorter dimension should be at least 21 inches.

Actually, according to the picture rmanes posted below, your shorter dimension should be at least about 28 inches.

Didn't realize it extended in both directions, though that should have been obvious. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Manes
United States
Chico
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps, this image shows the size difference between the one of the larger sized maps (52"x34") and the original board:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just measured the standard boards, and the base map + expansion combo is 21"x32". The largest off-the-shelf poster frame at my local craft store is 24"x36", so I'm going with that size.

There's also an offer for free standard shipping if you sign up for the 30-day free trial of Zazzle Black.

Thanks a million for posting this promotion, Huginn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Adverb wrote:
I just measured the standard boards, and the base map + expansion combo is 21"x32". The largest off-the-shelf poster frame at my local craft store is 24"x36", so I'm going with that size.

There's also an offer for free standard shipping if you sign up for the 30-day free trial of Zazzle Black.

Thanks a million for posting this promotion, Huginn!

See my revised short-dimension estimate based on rmanes's picture, above. 24 inches will put you a little smaller than the map's original scale, since the expanded map expands in both directions: up and across. If you count rings, it goes further up on the sixth ring—basically to the edge of the seventh ring. By my guess, it needs to be about a sixth taller than 21" to remain at scale. A sixth would be about 24", but I'm not sure it's a sixth—it might be a little more.

Glad to post. I've been waiting for this seems like forever.

And I'm really, really glad I have a 72"×40" table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see. Now I'm at a loss as to which size would be correct.

Sadly, I do not have a 72"x40" table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up on the poster deal! Been waiting for something like for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Order placed! No turning back now!

:D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats for having the courage to pull the trigger!

And the size you went with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with the 48x32 -- the short dimension is just above what the discussion above said the board measures, so it'll be slightly oversized but should still fit on my table.

Worst-case scenario, even if it doesn't fit on the table it's still going up on a wall.

Added: Semi-gloss too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
I went with the 48x32 -- the short dimension is just above what the discussion above said the board measures, so it'll be slightly oversized but should still fit on my table.

Worst-case scenario, even if it doesn't fit on the table it's still going up on a wall.

Added: Semi-gloss too

I did the same size in the basic matte paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
When the map originally came out I went for the 36x24 and I'm glad I did. I just fits on my table with enough room for all the player mats etc as well. There isn't a whole lot that you will be putting on the board anyway during the game so there is plenty of space (no pun intended!) there. The main reason I got the size I did was because I got a 36x24 blank poster frame (a good one) and put the poster map inside that. Not only does it lay the map flat but also means I can hang it back up on the wall when I'm not playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
When the map originally came out I went for the 36x24 and I'm glad I did. I just fits on my table with enough room for all the player mats etc as well. There isn't a whole lot that you will be putting on the board anyway during the game so there is plenty of space (no pun intended!) there. The main reason I got the size I did was because I got a 36x24 blank poster frame (a good one) and put the poster map inside that. Not only does it lay the map flat but also means I can hang it back up on the wall when I'm not playing.

Sold. Thanks for the nudge. For 12 bucks, I can hardly go wrong.

edit: in the end, I suspect the frame will cost me more than the poster!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
psuedo name
msg tools
Thanks Jonathan! I just purchased mine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news! I have been wanting to get the large (60"x40") canvas print for a long time. Also ordered the 36"x24" in a frame so I don't have to use plexi-glass to cover it when it is on my game table. Can't wait to see how the canvas compares to the heavy matte paper.

Thanks for posting the information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaand once again I wish I had a computer at work!

Better luck next time, I guess!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads-up Jonathan! Ordered mine at about 7 PM PDT. They seemed to still accept the code, tho I haven't received a confirmation email yet. Debit card has been charged, tho, for the discounted price.

I just ordered the basic 36x24 matte finish. I also don't have the space for anything bigger, and plexiglass works for me. Getting it laminated is another option. I like the poster frame idea, too.

I looked at some of the gallery images to estimate the size to the original game board. I think the 36x24 poster map will still have pretty much the same scale as the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.