Subject: Clarification on Army Movement and splitting armies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lord Apolon
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hey all,
Just bought War of the Ring Second Edition and getting ready for my first play-through tonight!

Quick rules clarification. On p. 28, the rules say that "An army can split itself into two different Armies by moving only a portion of its units to an adjacent region."

Can you also split an army by sending part of it to one adjacent region and part of it to another (e.g., send 2 Regulars from Gorgoroth to the Morannon and 2 from Gorgoroth to Minas Morgul)? Would this take one move or two? Or does the split off part have to remain behind?

If they do have to remain behind, can you move the new army that remained behind using the second move from your Army Die? Or would you have to move it with a second Action Die?

I think I am wildly confusing myself on this, but I can't find anything in the rules, errata, or forums, so I would be grateful for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordApolon wrote:
Can you also split an army by sending part of it to one adjacent region and part of it to another (e.g., send 2 Regulars from Gorgoroth to the Morannon and 2 from Gorgoroth to Minas Morgul)? Would this take one move or two? Or does the split off part have to remain behind?

That would be two moves. In any single army move, you will take all or part of the units in one region and move them to an adjacent region.

LordApolon wrote:
If they do have to remain behind, can you move the new army that remained behind using the second move from your Army Die? Or would you have to move it with a second Action Die?

You can use the same army die - an army die permits two army moves.

LordApolon wrote:
I think I am wildly confusing myself on this, but I can't find anything in the rules, errata, or forums, so I would be grateful for any help!

I agree that you're confusing yourself. There is nothing about this in the errata because the rules are clear on this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can split. The first half moves with the first move of the Army die, and the second half moves with the second move. And you're done. Not complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Apolon
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick replies. I am sure most of my confusion will melt away once I actually play, but I want to avoid as many mistakes on the first playthrough as possible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay P

Alexandria
Virginia
msg tools
Just be careful that an army unit doesn't move two places. For example, let's say you split an army (we'll call it Group A) and move it to a location with another group (call it Group B). You cannot then move the combined Group (Group A+B) because that would be moving the Group A units twice. You can move Group B, leaving Group A (which already moved) behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Young
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just think of it like this a "move" is a origin and a destination that must be adjacent to each other. You get 2 moves. Units can be grouped at origin for the move. No unit may be involved in more than one move per action die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Bustos
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I was looking for the same information, after our first play. Let's go for that second one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.