Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Chit-pull wargames require a player to provide one or more cups (or bags, or whatever) in which to randomize, and then pull, the chits. I have a set of four tea cups which I use specifically for this purpose, so I was wondering--

Poll
1. Do you have a designated chit-pull cup?
Yes, I always use the same cup.
No, I just grab whatever cup is handy.
No, I don't play chit-pull games-- IGOUGO FOREVER, BABY!
2. If so, what kind of cup do you use?
Coffee mug.
Tea cup.
Cereal or soup bowl.
None: I use a bag.
None: I randomize all the chits face-down on my table.
Other (please specify in comments).
N/A.
3. If a wargame publisher were to offer novelty mugs with their logo and/or illustrations from your favorite game, would you purchase it?
Yes-- where's the P500?
No-- that's a ridiculous idea.
      150 answers
Poll created by tomrussell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chit-pull? I don't need no stinkin' Chit-pull. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
BLUE SOLO CUP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an old enamal mug advertising the official rum of the Royal Navy. Found it in a thrift-shop in Delphos, Ohio for about a buck. Kinda grungy for drinking but perfect for wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not fussy about it. Whatever is handy that works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a pair of little bowls that I use for pulling chits. Because of their shallow sides, they provide less opacity than the typical mug, but I still like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixie cups. They also work well for random reinforcements. Not really suitable for large counters, though; I wouldn't use them for anything larger than 5/8".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
At Hotels they make great sized cups for chit pull games - I have about 12 Wolfgang Puck Single Serving cups from Doubletree Hotels, and some other type from a Sheraton.

No one drinks out of them in the EWR, which helps prevent the "chit drownings" of using "in production" coffee mugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep the chits to be pulled in a small container which has a click lid. I use this container to pull my chits. The nice thing about the container is it has coloured transparent plastic sides and a hexagonal pattern on the bottom.
The exact same ones as seen at the top of these boxes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use my wife's ramikins. They're small shallow porcelain baking vessels similar to what you would make a creme brule or flan in. Way easier to pull out of than a mug. Also good for holding marker counters like control markers in Twilight Struggle.

She says you can get them cheap at Cost Plus...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a wide-mouthed, very opaque plastic cup with a handle that I've been using for a couple of decades at this point. It has a thin crack in it, so it's no good for drinking out of anyway.

For conventions or whenever I travel, I used to take empty yogurt cups (that stack inside each other, so I can take several), but am now leaning towards wide-mouth drawstring bags.

I've also found the drawstring bags handy for keeping in the game box, along with a pencil and extra logsheets, for many of my solo games, so I have everything I need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McNeely
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I also use a set of ramikins for my games. They are also good for keeping your dead cardboard troops in for victory point counting. I have a nice felt bag I use for the monsters in Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, so I guess my little bowls are called ramikins. Who knew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You noobs are soooo cute, pulling your chits from your 'ramikins' to see who moves next.

Just wake me up when it's my turn, and I'll move all of my units, thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
So,,,,you don't really give a chit about this topic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
So,,,,you don't really give a chit about this topic?

It's just a bunch of pullchit. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a set of muffin tins I liberated from the kitchen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of wargame publisher's official novelty cup, specially designed to meet the wargamers' need. MMP should produce one as they have so many chit-pull games on the line. Both coffee mugs or tea cup are too small for hands to get in and get out. My mind contracts whenever I have to draw a chit out of the cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
I like the idea of wargame publisher's official novelty cup, specially designed to meet the wargamers' need. MMP should produce one as they have so many chit-pull games on the line. Both coffee mugs or tea cup are too small for hands to get in and get out. My mind contracts whenever I have to draw a chit out of the cup.

I guess I'm lucky I have small hands. I like having a handle, so the cup can be passed easily to whoever needs to draw a chit. The wide-mouthed, short cups are definitely better than the standard coffee cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use several squat cups. They are wide enough to reach into and not too tall or short. They are some kind of "gift" type cups we got with coupons long ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
For pulling the in-fighting chits in our ToC game yesterday, we used Italian espresso cups. Very chic.

And not to sound too neurotic about the subfora (*twitch*) but shouldn't this be in General? Seems to be a very wargamey topic, no?

See, I thought it'd be fun if it started in AWOL and then got modded to General.

In all seriousness-- you're probably right, and it was my error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to General at OP request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use these handcrafted wooden boxes with a hinged lid for chit pulling games. I got these babies from Chatuchak Market in Bangkok. When I saw them I thought: Perfect, a shallow container and with a lid so I can really give them chits a good gentle shuffle to randomize it. On top of that they would look great on the table and they do. Here they are. The smaller ones are perfect for most games and the larger one is sublime for those games with many chits, like those hundreds of Chaos Event chits in Struggle for the Galactic Empire. I too have very large hands and have trouble getting chits out of coffee mugs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If a wargame publisher were to offer novelty mugs with their logo and/or illustrations from your favorite game, would you purchase it?
I can barely afford wargames from the US with postage and customs. Why would I spend money on a cup FROM THE USA? (Granted, a nice cup, probably)
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have silicone muffin cups and ingredient cups that I purchased for my game kit. They are used for both Wargames and (*gasp*) Euros to hold any medium to large amount of chits or pieces that need to be conveniently sorted and moved about.

The muffin cups (that I picked up at a craft store) work nicely for smaller amounts of chits/pieces, the ingredient cups work nicely for medium to larger amounts. I last used one for hit result chip pulls in Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division.

Upsides are easy to transport with out fear of damage (they live in my game tote box), flexible sides helps get fingers in, or to make a pour spout when putting the pieces/chits back into a bag/container. Downsides are flexible sides (sometimes it's a little easier to trap and pull a chit against the side of a coffee cup), and flash from cardboard chits can adhere and be a little trickier to clean out. That is, you may have to wash them out from time to time.

As for specific cups for chit pulling, you might want to look here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.