Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a few questions, much appreciated!

1) If I get an IPAD 2 16gb, will I feel pressed for space if i'm going to be using it for web/email/apps? What I mean is, with all of these awesome board game releases to the pad, if I download a bunch, will I run out of space or is 16gb enough to hold all the games I want? Anyone out there run out of space just from board game apps? How much memory does a larger game take?

2) Wi-fi vs. 3g and wifi - I get the initial difference. However, If I get the Wi-fi ONLY version, can I use my htc android fone with enabled usb tethering or hotspot to use my ipad online when there is no other wi-fi available? And if I could do that, would it be dreadfully slow?

3) I am in real estate, and have been holding off on the ipad due to the fact that in reality it was a toy for me. But now that I can use it for the job, I can use it dually. With the ipad 3 coming out, will I be satiated with the performance of the ipad 2, 16gb wi fi only version if all I'm using it for is email, web and games?

Any input is much appreciated! thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
1) IF you aren't storing music or videos and only a "reasonable" number of games the 16GB may be enough ... but remember that you can't add memory.

2) Portable wifi (via phone or other method) works - it isn't as convenient as built-in 3G/4G but it is certainly usable.

3) You'll probably find an iPad 2 OK for now. The biggest thing you'd miss if you picked-up a used iPad 1 would be the camera (and I assume you'd want that for business). You might find the better camera and screen of the iPad 3 justifiable for business use - if so I'd recommend at least the 32GB model. Would your business use be sufficient to make it tax deductible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I could deduct this for business uses.

And great call about the camera, I could definitely benefit from that.

Maybe I just bite the bullet and go for the ipad 3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:
1) If I get an IPAD 2 16gb, will I feel pressed for space if i'm going to be using it for web/email/apps? What I mean is, with all of these awesome board game releases to the pad, if I download a bunch, will I run out of space or is 16gb enough to hold all the games I want? Anyone out there run out of space just from board game apps? How much memory does a larger game take?

I live on my iPad and I cannot imagine having to make due with only 16gb of space. 32gb is the absolute minimum I would recommend someone go with -- and if you can afford to go for 64gb, make the jump.

Honestly, if they'd released a 128gb model, I'd have bought it without a second thought.

Quote:
2) Wi-fi vs. 3g and wifi - I get the initial difference. However, If I get the Wi-fi ONLY version, can I use my htc android fone with enabled usb tethering or hotspot to use my ipad online when there is no other wi-fi available? And if I could do that, would it be dreadfully slow?

I'm upgrading from a 1st gen iPad. When I bought it, I could not imagine I would care if I didn't have 3g connectivity. I was a fool. Now, to be fair, I commute 40 to 60 minutes a day and have the sort of job where I'm frequently away from a desk. I seriously considered upgrading to the iPad 2 when it came out, JUST to get the 3g connectivity.

However, if you have a mobile hotspot and the connection speed isn't bad, I think you'd be okay. More, if *all* you're using it for is email and some light browsing, I think you could stick with the Wifi model.

Quote:
3) I am in real estate, and have been holding off on the ipad due to the fact that in reality it was a toy for me. But now that I can use it for the job, I can use it dually. With the ipad 3 coming out, will I be satiated with the performance of the ipad 2, 16gb wi fi only version if all I'm using it for is email, web and games?

You would be, I think, satisfied -- for now -- with the iPad 2's performance. The question, to me, is when you would be expecting to upgrade?

I know that seems ludicrous, considering the lifetime of a device the day you buy it, but the point is this: if you're buying an iPad today, are you expecting to get 2, 3 or 4 years out of it? If so, realize that there ARE differences between a "new" iPad and the iPad2.

The new has a higher screen resolution and that's going to be what developers are going to program to. Yes, they'll offer lower-res versions of *most* apps, and you won't be suffering with the iPad2 -- but realize that Apple's likely going to release a refreshed device about annually. So in 2-3 years, the push is really going to be for Retina display to be the standard.

If you expect to use this device -- to try it out, if you will -- for a year or two and be prepared to upgrade, go ahead and grab an iPad 2. If you're looking to buy something that'll have a little more life in it, realize the iPad 2 is already a year old.

At the end of the day, the real question is money. A "new" iPad with 32gb or 64gb of storage is a pricey beast. If you can swing it comfortably, if you're confident you'll be using this device for at least a couple to a few years, it may be worth the leap.

If not, the iPad2 is a great device -- however, if you go that way, shop around because you can probably find some good deals as retailers are liquidating stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I would get the 32gb model. With some movies and music as well as games 16 could get cramped fairly quickly.

2. I went for the wifi model and have been very happy with it. Any hot spot should work. I think that video streaming would be slowish and web surfing would be fine. I have no smart phone and no 3g on my iPad but have been very happy. If I was going to get either a 3g smart phone and a wifi iPad or a dumb phone and a 3g iPad, I would go for option number 2.

3. I would personally for the iPad 3 but hope to sell my iPad 1 and upgrade at some point so if that advice was taken universally I'd be out of luck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I have a 1st Gen iPad with 32GB. I got it because I knew I wanted to store some music on it, and have it hold movies to play on my train commute.

If I was just doing apps/email/etc, 16GB would have been just fine, and was for my co-worker. He kept to 16GB when upgrading from his 1st Gen to the 2nd Gen. He's just upgraded to the 3rd Gen - he's setting it up now - and he bumped to 32GB. His main reasoning is that apps may take up to 5x the space due to having graphic assets that make use of the new, higher resolution display.

Still, it's mainly a question of if you expect to store large amounts of multi-media on it (music, photos, movies), and if you are willing to remove old apps, or never want to have to delete an app. Even then, I think a basic user would be fine with 16GB.

2) 3G/4G is always going to be dreadfully slow compared to WiFi, tethering or not. But 3G/4G is much faster than no WiFi. If you don't expect to need to connect out of WiFi range all the time, but only occasionally, and you have a phone that can act as a hot spot, you should be fine.

The other thing to think about it data caps. You aren't likely to hit them if you aren't using it all the time, and/or if you aren't streaming things (like music). Streaming will eat up your data in no time!

I got Wi-Fi, so did my co-worker. We both have smartphones that allow tethering. I do use that from time to time, but not a ton.

3) I think you would be perfectly fine with an iPad 2 performance. I still think my iPad 1 is fine. I would have upgraded this round (and may still), expect I'm strapped for cash nowadays. But, I'm certainly not feeling that my iPad is horribly slow or anything.

Mind you, if you can write it off, and if you do expect to make use of the camera, then by all means get the current iPad 3 - it will be faster, have a much, much nicer display, has a better camera, etc. But I'd then suggest 32GB as the minimum.

Oh, and, one review I read of the camera said the 3 is a big improvement over the 2, but in either case, never take a picture with an iPad - because you can't do it without looking like someone holding up a baking pan vertically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, yeah, taking photos of houses with an Ipad would definitely be clunky.

I guess those cameras are mainly for vid chatting, self pics.

Ok, I think based on the fact that this is my first tablet, let alone first IPAD, I'll go for the IPAD 2 32 gigs. I'll start with the wifi only to keep the initial (and montly) cost down.

I expect to use the ipad mainly at home (wifi) or at cafe's (wi fi)..and if I ever need to use it in my car, I can probably use tethering sufficiently enough to do what I need to do...mainly tethering would be used when I need to look up something online or email..so should be fine.

I think airlines now have wi fi, so I think I'll be good.

After a couple years if the Ipad 2 is losing steam, or if I want 4g, I'll upgrade.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Oh...what about warranties?

Should I be buying from apple, or could I buy an ipad from amazon...and is it a bad idea to buy a used ipad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:

Oh...what about warranties?

Should I be buying from apple, or could I buy an ipad from amazon...and is it a bad idea to buy a used ipad?

Apple warranty is worth it for a computer. 2-3 yrs replacement. But I've not heard of anyone having ipad trouble, so... Also if you get it from apple, free shipping and free engraving on the back.

The camera upgrade is HUGE for the ipad. 720px vs a 5megapixel camera. The ipad 2 is barely worth taking pix for web. the ipad 3 is good enough for printwork. In your work, i'd think it'd be great for you. take pix, show to the clients, bring up sites. they have issues with something, take a pic, compare shot between houses. But all those pix need space, so more is better. I have 32 on my ipod and never had trouble. but all i have on there is: Hold on I'll tell you exactly what is on mine:
761 podcasts 9.7gig
1 half hour video .28gig (a cartoon)
176 photos .4gig
192 apps 14.2 gig(mostly kids games)
8 books .1gig (full length novels)
5 gig free.

I could easily get rid of 75percent of the apps and podcasts.

Really, if they are coming out with a new one every year or so, you're already behind. Ipad 1 can't run some of the new apps, so how long before 2 falls behind? I just hope the apps don't get bloated with the new HD. Keep em lean and mean!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a 16GB iPad 2. I currently have ~4GB used from apps, and that includes ~40 games. I'm happy with 16GB since I use Netflix for watching movies and TV shows, and streaming radio apps to listen to music, which means I don't have to have any media taking up space on the iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
I've got a 16GB iPad 2. I currently have ~4GB used from apps, and that includes ~40 games. I'm happy with 16GB since I use Netflix for watching movies and TV shows, and streaming radio apps to listen to music, which means I don't have to have any media taking up space on the iPad.

This is huge. video takes a lot of space. with netflix, I usually have NO videos on mine unless I am going somewhere to sit and wait. I have wifi, so I'll have to put some videos on there myself if I'm out of range.

BTW: I have eyetv for my computer. it's awesome. you tape shows with your computer/cable and it can even save them down to ipod size. TINY! I just have some shows waiting on my HD for whenever I need to copy something over. Say going to chicago or something, bam, instant entertainment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.